Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 15th Feb 11, 5:21 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    30 ways to stop scams article discussion
    • 15th Feb 11, 5:21 PM
    30 ways to stop scams article discussion 15th Feb 11 at 5:21 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the article

To discuss or ask a question just click 'reply'. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-07-2015 at 1:02 PM.
Page 2
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 3rd Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    • 7,132 Posts
    • 13,037 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I work in retail and I often see customers' cards with a 4 digit number on it - either on a sticker on the sig strip. Its their PIN!

This is like leaving your front door unlocked.

You don't need to stick to the PIN that the bank randomly gave you, please change it to something you will remember and you don't have that number anywhere in your wallet - so no year of birth, no birthday etc.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 3rd Jun 16, 10:00 PM
    • 9,173 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I suspect that most people don't know that you can change the PIN on a card.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 4th Jun 16, 8:54 AM
    • 7,132 Posts
    • 13,037 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I suspect that most people don't know that you can change the PIN on a card.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

The bank next door to my work, the cashiers often show how to change PINs tp customers. Plus its fairly straight forward on the ATM.

Plus the last time I got a new card, they said to change my PIN.
    • Dave1964
    • By Dave1964 7th Sep 16, 10:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dave1964
    Use caution when using alternative numbers
    I needed to call my credit card company but only had an expensive 0844 number so I did an internet search for an alternative geographical or Freephone number. I found one and dialled it and met an automated answering service which asked for various credit card information to be keyed in. Thinking I was calling my card company I happily keyed in Card number and DOB but when I was asked for the security code from the back of the card bells stated to ring that this could be a phishing scam so I terminated the call. Having done some investigation of the number I do not think it was a scam but it made me think and I will be more careful with personal data next time I use an online telephone number search.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 7th Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    Ian011
    I needed to call my credit card company but only had an expensive 0844 number so I did an internet search for an alternative geographical or Freephone number.
    Originally posted by Dave1964
    FCA regulations effective 26 October 2015 require banks, card companies and insurers to use 01, 02, 03 or 080 numbers for contact by existing customers. All such businesses have changed their numbers and the correct place to look for these is on their OFFICIAL website.

Never use numbers found directly in a Google search, or on any third-party website, and especially if the number starts 070, 084, 087 or 09. These numbers are, at best, out of date. At worst, they are part of a scam.

Be especially aware of the 'call connection service' scam described in section 5 of this post:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5360819
    • chrismale
    • By chrismale 9th Nov 16, 6:31 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    chrismale
    Talktalk engineer scam
    I have twice been called recently by a 'Talktalk' engineer saying there was a problem with my router. I checked my tablet to see I had internet access and my email was working and told them this. They kept insisting I turn on a computer or laptop so I simply pretended I didn't have one. I said my partner came at weekends with a laptop. The second time the caller suggested I borrow one from a neighbor! So I wandered off and left him on the phone for 30 mins. He eventually rang off. Unfortunately most of the numbers these scammers ring from are fake numbers so it it difficult to report them. We need telecoms companies to make it impossible for scammers and nuisance callers to show fake numbers.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Nov 16, 11:11 AM
    • 9,173 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    A simple way to avoid this is to keep a word-processing file (not labelled Password!) on a memory stick with your log-in details and passwords noted. To be ultra-safe, you can "hide" these amongst other words and numbers, and of course you can password-protect the file as well.

Then, instead of keying in the details (which could be logged), just copy the relevant info from the memory stick file and paste it into the website. Once you get used to it, it is actually quicker than typing stuff in, as well as safer.
    Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver
    I'm fairly sure that this makes no difference to Browser-based hacking, and definitely sure it makes no difference to any kind of interception-based hacking.

Hackers can relatively easily find such password files, so it is important that if you need such a thing, you keep the actual passwords obscured (ideally by being incomplete).

You could have a standard approach to completing each password (maybe the last characters are a count of the number of characters in the password, or maybe they are your Cat's birthdate). Either way, it's a bad idea to record passwords in such a way as to make their interpretation and use trivial.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 12-11-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    • 15,272 Posts
    • 11,089 Thanks
    hollydays
    Disreputable companies can place lots of fake reviews on sites like
    Trustpilot, and object to honest ones on technicalities . Therefore don't just trust online reviews from one or two sources.lots of glowing reviews can be a warning sign to dig deeper.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 12th Nov 16, 2:55 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Bogalot
    Disreputable companies can place lots of fake reviews on sites like
    Trustpilot, and object to honest ones on technicalities . Therefore don't just trust online reviews from one or two sources.lots of glowing reviews can be a warning sign to dig deeper.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Also product reviews on Amazon left by people that have been given freebies in return for an "honest" review. I found one reviewer, apparently in their Top 500 reviewers, who was blatantly using a template to post multiple reviews. I now disregard any of these reviews.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 12th Nov 16, 3:20 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Also product reviews on Amazon left by people that have been given freebies in return for an "honest" review. I found one reviewer, apparently in their Top 500 reviewers, who was blatantly using a template to post multiple reviews. I now disregard any of these reviews.
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    One of my pet irritations. Any I come across I mark as "unhelpful" and don't buy the product.
    • Fitzmichael
    • By Fitzmichael 17th Nov 16, 6:59 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Fitzmichael
    I (75) don't fully understand this. I put my email into haveibeenpwned, which then showed Pwned on 1 breached site and found no pastes. Below it showed LinkedIn with 164m sites breached. I don't have membership of this or any 'social media' sites or any interest in them, so what does this mean? Below that it lists the Top 10 breaches, but does that have any relevance to me?
    • cefynbach
    • By cefynbach 10th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    cefynbach
    Have I been scammed
    As a 72 year old I have just entered my detials into the pwned site and it has com up wityh three breaches. One is October 2016, two is August 2017 and three is January 2017 none of which I have heard of, the last two have spam list in brackets.

Totally confused
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ It just means your email address has been found on a known spam list.

Dont worry too much about it .
    But for belt and braces you may want to consider changing your important passwords (online banking , email etc)

Andy
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Sep 17, 11:47 PM
    • 7,526 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    pogofish
    Totally confused
    Originally posted by cefynbach
    I'm somewhat confused as well - what has your post got to do with this?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=41225446&postcount=1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin