Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > roxburghe debt collectors parking fine (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
roxburghe debt collectors parking fine
Views: 22,788
# 1
hedid2003
Old 11-02-2011, 8:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default roxburghe debt collectors parking fine

Hi all

i received today a letter from roxburghe debt collectors,demanding payment for a parking charge notice for 198.00.i must pay within 14 days.
The client is elite management ltd.
i got the parking ticket 8th dec 2010,
i was attending a help back to work meeting for people with a disability,i parked in a disabled parking bay with my blue badge clearly on display.
the disabled bay was open to anyone with a blue badge.
the excuse they used i did not have a permit,i didnt know i needed one.
i appealed the next day to elite management via email with photos etc.
Kept on checking emails,nothing,until today the letter from roxburghe
i phoned elite and they told me they emailed me on the 10th dec.
i have not had nothing from elite.

Any advice,what should i do quite worried if they take me to court.

Last edited by hedid2003; 11-02-2011 at 8:41 PM. Reason: missed out title
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
trisontana
Old 11-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Stop worrying and ignore them. They won't take you to court, this is just part of their scare tactics. For farther reassurance please read some of the other posts on here that deal with private parking tickets.
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
taffy056
Old 11-02-2011, 8:44 PM

Just ignore them, you owe them nothing at all, they will not take you too court, they have never been inside a court ever, you will get Graham White letters next, don't worry they are roxburghe trying to scam you!
The Following User Says Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
hedid2003
Old 11-02-2011, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for replying
it is worrying for those who get these kind of letters from the likes of roxburghe,thanks again,i have been reading other peoples posts, i suppose i just needed reassuring.
The Following User Says Thank You to hedid2003 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jessem_01
Old 17-08-2011, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Roxburghe Letter

Hi all,

I've had one of these letters too - including the name "Graham White". Are we sure its a load of rubbish?

I was given a parking ticket when I had actually bought myself a usual day ticket ( I park there every day). I scanned it and sent a letter to Elite Management and got nothing back.

I now have recieved this letter demanding 198.00 for a 4 parking ticket. Ridiculous! Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jess
# 6
HO87
Old 17-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem_01 View Post
Hi all,

I've had one of these letters too - including the name "Graham White". Are we sure its a load of rubbish?

I was given a parking ticket when I had actually bought myself a usual day ticket ( I park there every day). I scanned it and sent a letter to Elite Management and got nothing back.

I now have recieved this letter demanding 198.00 for a 4 parking ticket. Ridiculous! Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jess
As has been said above, ignore this company. Graham White Solicitors is actually just another guise used by Roxburghe's debt collectors. Graham White's does not exist in the sense of being a solicitors office you could walk into and the only solicitor on "their" books - Michael Sobell - is well into his 70's and effectively simply rents his name to Roxburghe's so they can use it on letters produced by them but on Graham White's letterheads.

As far as private parking companies are concerned there is no appeals process worthy of the name (to even the slightest degree) and these processes are solely designed to obtain the owner/driver details without them having to apply to the DVLA and any other details they can use to help them pursue their made-up charges. Appeals are routinely dismissed out of hand.

So, to sum up. Roxburghe's can do absolutely nothing to you beyond jumping up and down stamping their feet demanding that you pay them. They have no special powers beyond those that you and I have to get people to pay up. They do, however, have a Consumer Credit Act licence issued by the Office of Fair Trading but are being being investigated by the OFT who have told them that they are "minded to revoke" the CCA licence.

In addition, Graham White's is currently being investigated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority - and not for the first time.

Don't worry.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
This week Matthew, I'm going to be - Steve Clark, Head of Operational Services, BPA Ltd
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HO87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
AlexisV
Old 17-08-2011, 1:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The fact our original poster last posted in February tells you everything.

Ignore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexisV For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
howard roarke
Old 17-08-2011, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Roxburghe / Graham White Nuisance Phone Calls

Usual scam parking ticket nonsense. Have been ignoring letters. Most recently though they have started to phone me.

God knows where they obtained my number.

Three things:

(i) the numbers they are using are: 07837 667522; 01932 332016; 07969 251019. Not sure if these are generated for the call only or whether they are real but here they are anyway.

(ii) Is holding my phone number a breach of Data Protection legislation?

(ii) Has anyone tried asking them to issue a writ or cease and desist? This feels like nuisance to me.

PS. Have no fear, Howard Roarke is a reference to the Fountainhead not my name.

Last edited by howard roarke; 17-08-2011 at 2:32 PM. Reason: question added
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard roarke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
fb1969
Old 17-08-2011, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard roarke View Post
God knows where they obtained my number.
Probably from the DVLA when they got your name and address.

The 01932 number is at their office, the mobiles are probably used to get round your recognising their number and not answering. Handy to know their mobile numbers though.

Last edited by fb1969; 17-08-2011 at 3:48 PM. Reason: carp typing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fb1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
howard roarke
Old 17-08-2011, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just read a post called Vinci and Harrassment on MSE. Some poor chap's parents received a call!

There is a clear recommendation there about writing to the collector agency and requiring that they put up or shut up. Some suggested text is offered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard roarke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Coupon-mad
Old 17-08-2011, 3:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Why dredge up an ancient thread...there are LOADS of threads from this week alone about Graham White letters and phone calls (which in fact come from Roxburghe). There is no solicitor's office involved at all, it's just Roxburghe using different letter-heading to frighten the unwary into paying. Do not be victims.

Just read some threads, pretty much every second one mentions these letters:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=163

And Roxburghe (pretending to be 'Graham White') phone calls have been mentioned on this very board at least twice in the last 3 days. It's simple, just tell them when they call that the debt is denied. More detail is in the forum threads - or click on my username here and look back at my previous posts for the last week, as I was one of those who posted the 'put up or shut up' wording.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
esmerobbo
Old 17-08-2011, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1969 View Post
Probably from the DVLA when they got your name and address.
According to DVLA they dont record your number nor give it to anyone!

Quote from them!

Dear Mr Esmerobbo

Thank you for your email received on 0/0/11. Your email reference number is 000000.

A company requesting keeper details can obtain the information via a form V888/2 or via an electronic link if they have registered to obtain information this way. The DVLA do not capture the telephone number of the keeper on the V5C, and do not provide this information if received from another source to any other parties.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai..._vehicles.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 000000 will be required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esmerobbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Coblcris
Old 17-08-2011, 7:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I find it amusing that the PPC may be asking themselves
"Who is Howard Roarke ? "
Hopefully they shrug after saying this.

Thank you for that.

Last edited by Coblcris; 17-08-2011 at 8:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coblcris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
howard roarke
Old 25-08-2011, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Who is Howard Roarke

Coblcris. Your last post pleased me greatly. John Galt is a little too refined for me. I'm identify more with salt mines and dynamite!
The Following User Says Thank You to howard roarke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
howard roarke
Old 25-08-2011, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

CouponMad. I sense your frustration and can see that you are the source of considerable expertise in relation to nonsense parking fines.

Forgive me, I thought that I was adding new information about phone-based harrassment. I had read many of the pre-existing threads before posting. These are articulate about letters but I had found nothing about phone numbers. I thought this was a new tactic.

Of course, clicking on your ID and trawling your posts takes you to the threads discussing numbers but I had not found them using the search function.

For the record, the best advice there I think is (i) answer the phone; (ii) insist they listen to you and (ii) state that you expressly deny the alleged debt.

This trawl also revealled that Graham White (Michael Sobell) is apparently a trading name for part of Roxburghe and not a separate law firm. This was new to me this morning. Until now I thought the best advice was write to Graham White denying their client's allegation.

I think you are right that the boards are now so full of threads from concerned people that seeing the wood for the trees is becoming challenging - even with you sterling work on sticky posts and collated information. Perhaps its time Martin let you have adminstrator rights to these discussions so that you can weed them and make them work more in line with the way that people arrive from Google.

Anyway, just wanted to acknowledge your posts and the fact that they have been very reassuring for me and many others.
# 16
howard roarke
Old 25-08-2011, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Penalty Charge Notices - The Law & Legal Defence

This forum provides lots of reassurance and discussion of the PCC processes but one of the things I wanted was a clear statement of the Law and the legal underpin for a defence. I was going to collate something myself but I came across this comprehensive and authoritative examination of the law.

Rats! As a new user I cannot post a link so google this phrase: FAQS Private Parking Companies pepipoo pete jones

I would really like to see this link boosted to the top of the discussion forums and made sticky. CouponMad, one for you perhaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to howard roarke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Coblcris
Old 25-08-2011, 1:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Any defence would depend upon the particulars of the case of course.

There are many tools in the box.
# 18
winnie1988
Old 08-12-2011, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all,

I received a letter today for a 60 parking fine demanding a payment of 114 in 14 days, also from Roxburghe. Is it right that I will now be blacklisted for not paying this or do I continue to ignore this "scam"? I also need reassurance about what to do
# 19
esmerobbo
Old 08-12-2011, 6:23 PM

You may be blacklisted by Roxburghe but as you are never likely to borrow from them it matters not! They cant blacklist you or do anything except ask you to pay an amount that is not owed.

Ignore them!
The Following User Says Thank You to esmerobbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
rappo85
Old 08-12-2011, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah blacklisted by scum of the earth debt chasers, tragic! Seriously though they are a private company with no more power to affect your life than I have. Simples. If the original "debt" was enforceable the oringinal company would have taken you to court, not fanny about with debt collectors, letters etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rappo85 For This Useful Post: Show me >>