Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > anyone flown long haul with thomas cook? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
anyone flown long haul with thomas cook?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,767
# 1
WOW Factor 0
joop123
Old 04-02-2011, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to joop123 Send a message via Yahoo to joop123
Default anyone flown long haul with thomas cook?

anyone flown long haul with thomas cook?

just want to ask opinions on the flights with Thomas Cook, hoping to go to orlando with them but i have read some dodgy reviews....any opinions/experiences?

many thanks
# 2
stephb34
Old 04-02-2011, 7:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have it depends which plane you get, if you get the ones with premium at the front, then the leg room in the std seats are 33inches, but look at the important information or the erratta cause if you get the plane without premium then the leg rooms only 29in and its very tight.
# 3
lynzpower
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

We flew manchester to orlando with Thomas cook last year.

I can remember a lot of bad points- the usual with charters
rubbish food
some of the seat back TVs not working
My headphone port on the way back didnt work
Lack of water throughout the flight
extortionate snack prices

However, we did expect this and bought boots meal deal extra waters for the journey.

the good point is it is cheap and to be honest from what I read of the others Continental , delta etc. These are the same complaints from thier customers if you read http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
# 4
concerned43
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Flew to florida with them - also to spain - hate hate hate them!
Too many bad things to type! but the main being the plane being late taking off and late bringing us back - we were stuck at the airport for 30 hrs once and all we got was a bottle of water!
Will never book with them again!
# 5
wroughtironron
Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Flew to the Canaries at Xmas, and although I'm not particularly tall (5' 11"), the lack of legroom was atrocious.
They try to flog scratch cards, high priced snacks, and it's basically a budget airline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wroughtironron For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
minimad1970
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I read somewhere that Thomas Cook were getting rid of all their premium seats and making the economy seats bigger. I don't know if this is all their planes or just long haul.
The Following User Says Thank You to minimad1970 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
stephb34
Old 05-02-2011, 7:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimad1970 View Post
I read somewhere that Thomas Cook were getting rid of all their premium seats and making the economy seats bigger. I don't know if this is all their planes or just long haul.
Thomas cook aren't doing premium seats on the outbound flights due to the APD thank the government for that one, but they are doing premium on the inbound flight, i think for a standard price of 50 per passenger so i dont think they'll be taking the seats out yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephb34 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Sues48
Old 05-02-2011, 8:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We've flown to Canada twice with them through Canadian Affair, had no complaints at all, no better or worse than any of the other airlines we've used to fly to North America, Continental, Delta etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sues48 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
pinkstarsx
Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've flown with them to Varadero and Cancun, only because they were much cheaper than other airlines and i was on a tight budget.

First flight to Cancun was cramped, i'm 5'9 and found it really uncomfortable. When i went to Cuba we decided to pre-book exit seats which were better, thank god we did - had a letter afew weeks before we went to say the inbound journey would have a seat pitch of 29" due to aircraft change! (old mytravel plane i think)

Also find their entertainment really poor compared to other charter airlines such as Thomson.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkstarsx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
JoseChungsDoomsday
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynzpower View Post

rubbish food

However, we did expect this and bought boots meal deal extra waters for the journey.

the good point is it is cheap and to be honest from what I read of the others Continental , delta etc. These are the same complaints from thier customers if you read http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm
I agree with this all the way - I've flown to Florida and Majorca with them and frankly it will be worth paying more to fly a real airline in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoseChungsDoomsday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Not a Newbie
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We flew to Egypt with them a couple of years ago, would never travel with them again. Worst flights I've ever taken.
400+ in my 2 coin tablet fund
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Not a Newbie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
bagand96
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM

What steph said above is correct. They have different aircraft, some of which have a nice 33" seat pitch with seat-back TVs, but some only have 29", with only TVs in the aisles.

With regards to other comments, food, delays etc its par for the course and can happen with any airline. Its just a mode of transport to the destination, and thats what matters!

Quote:

rubbish food
Quote:
I agree with this all the way - I've flown to Florida and Majorca with them and frankly it will be worth paying more to fly a real airline in the future.
Apart from lack of water and snack prices..... those issues are identical to problems I had with British Airways last summer. Their customer sevice attitude was couldn't give a sh*t too!
The Following User Says Thank You to bagand96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
bagand96
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM

joop123, you need to look at the "Important Information" link on the Thomas Cook website to see if anything is mentioned about flights. This link can be found on the quote page, underneath the Total Holiday Price. A lot of the Florida holidays have the following in that information:

Quote:
Essential Information
outbound standard cabin

Essential Information
inbound standard cabin.please note this flight only has 29" seat pitch
If your holiday has that information then you know you will be on the tighter configured aircraft, without seat back TVs. Meals will be included and will be as good or bad as any aircraft food. Water will be free, other drinks and snacks will have to be paid for at standard airline rates. The deal breaker here though is the aircraft configuration and I guess its personal preference on whether the cost savings with Thomas Cook are worth that or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to bagand96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
DavidHayton
Old 05-02-2011, 4:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseChungsDoomsday View Post
I suppose that it comes down to how much you are going to save and how much you can put up with. I know that I will put up with quite a bit if I am going to save 1500 on transatlantic airline tickets for a family of five. As long as I have my book and my children have their DS thingies, we can cope without the seat back TVs. I can even survive without free alcohol - just. The two issues that I would consider carefully are seat pitch (I can cope with 29" - and I'm 183 cm tall - but others find this excruciating) and punctuality.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidHayton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jeanniebeanie
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have posted before that I am not keen on TC. BUT i have booked another Florida flight with them. We have paid 500 each in total for premium upgraded flights (April, one of their last flights with this option).

By the time we factored in the pre-bookable seats, free meals and extra luggage allowance it was only 30 each more than standard. As to quality of upgraded flight..... not done it before, but TC, THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE!!!!

Last edited by jeanniebeanie; 06-02-2011 at 10:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanniebeanie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ENILORAC
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I flew from Glasgow to Sanford, Orlando with TC in 2009. The flight was perfectly fine, comfortable & on-time. Have flown to America with Continental, Aer Lingus & United before & they were really no different, except in terms of service from staff, which was disappointing from TC.

We didnt pay extra for inflight meals, instead we made a big packed lunch & bought juice from Boots before we boarded the flight.

We also purchased the extra 5kg baggage as you are only allowed 20kg iirc.

We actually booked a fly-drive package through Direct Holidays, which worked out cheaper than booking through TC. We didnt pick the car up at the airport & used a different car hire company as it worked out cheaper than buying TC car insurance.

Caroline
The Following User Says Thank You to ENILORAC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
joop123
Old 06-02-2011, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENILORAC View Post
I flew from Glasgow to Sanford, Orlando with TC in 2009. The flight was perfectly fine, comfortable & on-time. Have flown to America with Continental, Aer Lingus & United before & they were really no different, except in terms of service from staff, which was disappointing from TC.

We didnt pay extra for inflight meals, instead we made a big packed lunch & bought juice from Boots before we boarded the flight.

We also purchased the extra 5kg baggage as you are only allowed 20kg iirc.

We actually booked a fly-drive package through Direct Holidays, which worked out cheaper than booking through TC. We didnt pick the car up at the airport & used a different car hire company as it worked out cheaper than buying TC car insurance.

Caroline
thank you so much....i have discovered direct hols thanks to you! Just trying to decided which villa to stay in now. Can you tellme how to add the extra baggage? I can only see the 20kg,

many thanks
# 18
ENILORAC
Old 06-02-2011, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Aw, you're welcome

I think when you put your details in, there is an option to add extra luggage. At the time it cost an extra 35 for 5kgs, we choose this as we were planning on doing lots of shopping.
# 19
joop123
Old 06-02-2011, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

me too!

think i have just got to get on with it and book...just trying to decided which vill/area to stay in now!

thank you again
# 20
ENILORAC
Old 06-02-2011, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Meant to add, you can get 2% cashback through QUIDCO!!
Closed Thread