Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • weegie.geek
    • By weegie.geek 27th Jan 11, 1:36 PM
    • 3,148Posts
    • 2,981Thanks
    weegie.geek
    Storage auctions in the UK?
    • 27th Jan 11, 1:36 PM
    Storage auctions in the UK? 27th Jan 11 at 1:36 PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_storage#Storage_auctions

These appear to be quite popular in the States, is there an equivalent over here?

Looking at the T&C for a few of these storage places, you give them the right to sell your stuff if you don't pay, so I guess they do auction them, I've just not been able to dig up any info on this.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
Page 1
    • geo555
    • By geo555 27th Jan 11, 1:52 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    geo555
    • 27th Jan 11, 1:52 PM
    • 27th Jan 11, 1:52 PM
    They would probably just send the goods to a local auction house.
    (".)
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 27th Jan 11, 3:04 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    • 27th Jan 11, 3:04 PM
    • 27th Jan 11, 3:04 PM
    We used to get house clearance people in as most of the stuff wasn't worth much.
  • tilley441
    • 30th May 11, 5:00 AM
    • 30th May 11, 5:00 AM
    did you find anything out about them?
    • RFW
    • By RFW 30th May 11, 1:28 PM
    • 8,132 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    RFW
    • 30th May 11, 1:28 PM
    • 30th May 11, 1:28 PM
    I've never heard of any storage companies here doing it, as another poster said they'd probably just use a local auction house if anything was worthwhile or sell on to a salvage dealer. The closest we had here was British Rail and Royal Mail lost property auctions but these seem to be not as prevalent as they were. Royal Mail actually started using Ebay, not sure if they still do. A lot of the ones I know that used to take place cancelled contracts with the auctioneers as they ended up not being viable. There are still some dotted around the country.
    • MONEY_DUDE
    • By MONEY_DUDE 4th Jan 12, 5:06 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    MONEY_DUDE
    • 4th Jan 12, 5:06 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 5:06 PM
    police auctions are bigger here and worth checking it
  • JohalaReewi
    • 4th Jan 12, 5:22 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 5:22 PM
    There are also lost luggage auctions. Bit smaller and cheaper than a storage locker!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jan 12, 6:25 PM
    • 57,045 Posts
    • 40,251 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Jan 12, 6:25 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 6:25 PM
    I am addicted to the storage wars type programme but I cannot believe the prices that the US sellers get for rubbish items.

Strangely enough when I last paid my storage bill for my business storage I joked that if I was late they might sell my locker- and they said they actually do- but they cannot even serve notice on it for 90 days! So someone somewhere is selling them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Obviously the best
    • By Obviously the best 4th Jan 12, 6:28 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    Obviously the best
    • 4th Jan 12, 6:28 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 6:28 PM
    police auctions are bigger here and worth checking it
    Originally posted by MONEY_DUDE
    Here's a good website for police auctions: www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/
    OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)
    • slapmatt
    • By slapmatt 4th Jan 12, 7:30 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    slapmatt
    I am addicted to the storage wars type programme but I cannot believe the prices that the US sellers get for rubbish items.
    Originally posted by soolin
    A lot of the "values" are nonsense.

On one I saw there was a stack of about 10 DVDs and the guy said "there's 50 bucks" and three fishing rods each with a price tag of $129 and he claimed "these are worth $350", as if people really pay retail prices at a secondhand shop.

Rick Harrison would have something to say about their claimed prices!
    • jasmineswhiskers
    • By jasmineswhiskers 4th Jan 12, 9:08 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    jasmineswhiskers

Strangely enough when I last paid my storage bill for my business storage I joked that if I was late they might sell my locker- and they said they actually do- but they cannot even serve notice on it for 90 days! So someone somewhere is selling them.
    I spent a whole day over Christmas watching 'Auction Hunters'. Shame they didn't intersperse the great finds with a few dud ones .
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jan 12, 9:49 PM
    • 57,045 Posts
    • 40,251 Thanks
    soolin
    A lot of the "values" are nonsense.

On one I saw there was a stack of about 10 DVDs and the guy said "there's 50 bucks" and three fishing rods each with a price tag of $129 and he claimed "these are worth $350", as if people really pay retail prices at a secondhand shop.

Rick Harrison would have something to say about their claimed prices!
    Originally posted by slapmatt
    It is always the furniture that gets me. They get a really tatty bed and mattress, and possibly a side table and say 'and there's $500 bucks'- in the uK that would be dumped as valueless.

Just watched an old 'Storage wars' tonight on the hard drive- they were happily trading rhino horn trinkets and ivory which I always find a bit 'ugh' but they did put the warning up on screen saying this trade was not legal in Europe.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Dime Bar
    It always make me laugh that Barry always throws away stuff the other guys would value at 100s he is the only one who is probably realistic with his stuff.
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke
    • RFW
    • By RFW 4th Jan 12, 10:02 PM
    • 8,132 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    RFW
    It is always the furniture that gets me. They get a really tatty bed and mattress, and possibly a side table and say 'and there's $500 bucks'- in the uK that would be dumped as valueless.

Just watched an old 'Storage wars' tonight on the hard drive- they were happily trading rhino horn trinkets and ivory which I always find a bit 'ugh' but they did put the warning up on screen saying this trade was not legal in Europe.
    America doesn't have much in the way of markets, carboot sales, charity shops (they are around but in most states there isn't a culture of it), so second hand market is restricted to garage sales, Craigslist and the like, it's probably how Ebay managed to do so well early on.

The storage places here haven't been around as much as those in the US, so perhaps it will be something that comes around here. If any storage companies are reading and want to give it a go, I'm an experienced auctioneer
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jan 12, 10:11 PM
    • 57,045 Posts
    • 40,251 Thanks
    soolin
    America doesn't have much in the way of markets, carboot sales, charity shops (they are around but in most states there isn't a culture of it), so second hand market is restricted to garage sales, Craigslist and the like, it's probably how Ebay managed to do so well early on.

The storage places here haven't been around as much as those in the US, so perhaps it will be something that comes around here. If any storage companies are reading and want to give it a go, I'm an experienced auctioneer
    Originally posted by RFW
    I love garage sales in the US and Canada, and I did once go to a Canadian auction where my sister and I bought box loads of absolute tat for a dollar a piece and spent many a happy hour sorting through it all.

Having watched these US programmes though made me realise what an untapped market there is , and that's why I started listing on ebay.com again.

If you do start up as a freelance storage locker auctioneer, I'll be there!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 4th Jan 12, 10:15 PM
    • 8,132 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    RFW
    I spent a whole day over Christmas watching 'Auction Hunters'. Shame they didn't intersperse the great finds with a few dud ones .
    Originally posted by jasmineswhiskers
    I'm surprised they find buyers/sellers to go on these programmes to say what they are earning, there's very few here who would do that. On one auction I held a few years ago I had a newspaper doing a feature, as they went to take a picture of the crowd they nearly all disappeared. So the chances are any programme here would end up featuring people showing how much they lost rather than made from one of the auctions.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Having watched these US programmes though made me realise what an untapped market there is , and that's why I started listing on ebay.com again.

American Pickers always gets me. They travel hundreds of miles across states and spend about $50 on a piece of tat that they think that'll sell for $75.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jan 12, 10:43 PM
    • 57,045 Posts
    • 40,251 Thanks
    soolin
    American Pickers always gets me. They travel hundreds of miles across states and spend about $50 on a piece of tat that they think that'll sell for $75.
    Originally posted by scheming_gypsy
    Oh yes, that one and the canadian one as well. Pick up a rusted tatty metal sign that you'd throw in a skip in the UK- and pay $100 bucks for it and claim they will resell it at $200........

As you say they seem to spend days on the road- so I assume they have motel and food costs- and talk about 'profits' that would barely cover the cost of the gas.

I deal in collectables and some antiques and know a great many people in this game, yet the antique market is now dying in some areas as the programmes on the TV give the impression that you can buy something from a car boot and sell it at auction and make a good profit. yes maybe you can once in a while- but not every time without fail, and the worst of it is they never factor in any costs at all- not even auction costs in some programmes. The reality is that most items sell for a small profit if you know your market- but it is a constant round of getting stuff, finding the buyers, churning it over and then back out buying more.

The Antique road trip for instance, they will spend say 750, travel half way round the country selling it to their friends / contacts, and then claim a big profit. Yet for those of us in the trade we have to pay car costs, petrol, parking ( a huge cost in many areas) etc.

It's can be a great deal of fun- I go all over the place on searches- but every single cup of coffee I have in a tea room, every mile I drive, every car park I pay to park in eats into my profits.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • scheming_gypsy
    I've not seen Canadian Pickers, I try not to watch American Pickers if I can help it but I do like Storage Wars, Pawn Stars and American Restoration (even though the bloke gets far too excited)
    • RFW
    • By RFW 4th Jan 12, 11:13 PM
    • 8,132 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    RFW
    The Antique road trip for instance, they will spend say 750, travel half way round the country selling it to their friends / contacts, and then claim a big profit. Yet for those of us in the trade we have to pay car costs, petrol, parking ( a huge cost in many areas) etc.
    It's not just me then! I'm always amazed when they say how well they've done breaking even sometimes. I've never really dealt in antiques but it's staggering how few so-called expert auctioneers haven't got a clue when it comes to buying to resell.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,133Posts Today

5,668Users online

Martin's Twitter