IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Un-Sorn a vehicle.
Closed Thread
Views: 10,214
# 1
catieeb06
Old 23-01-2011, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Un-Sorn a vehicle.

Hi,

Apologies for knowing nothing about this at all. I passed my test on the 11th January. I'm buying my brothers car off him.

Thing is it has a SORN on it, the breaks are being changed next week and then it will be back on the road.

How do I go about un SORNing the car? Do I just present the MOT certificate to put some tax on it? I need to insure it.

Do I need the log book? Do I need to apply for it to be un SORNed?

HELP!!

Thanks, Catie x
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
# 2
Gordon Hose
Old 23-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Don't you just tax it in the usual way? Putting tax on it will just remove the SORN.
# 3
vaio
Old 23-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Get it insured, take it to a pre arranged MOT (if required) then get tax
# 4
Inactive
Old 23-01-2011, 1:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You need to register the V5 with your details, then just just tax it.

The SORN will then automatically be removed.

The SORN is only applicable to the present registered keeper.
# 5
catieeb06
Old 23-01-2011, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's failed the MOT hence the need for new breaks.

Do I need the log book? My brother is the most un organised person and can't remember where he's put it. I've got a folder of all the old MOT certs, but that's because my Gran owned it prior to him buying it.

He's away at University at the moment so he can't easily search for it.
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
# 6
Inactive
Old 23-01-2011, 1:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by catieeb06 View Post
It's failed the MOT hence the need for new breaks.

Do I need the log book? My brother is the most un organised person and can't remember where he's put it. I've got a folder of all the old MOT certs, but that's because my Gran owned it prior to him buying it.

He's away at University at the moment so he can't easily search for it.
Yes, you need the V5 ( Log Book ) in order to register it in your name.
# 7
nearlyrich
Old 23-01-2011, 1:17 PM

I just took my insurance and V5 to the post office and got a tax dsk (car doesn't need an MOT) I think you can get a copy V5 (or your brother can) and you will need a prebooked MOT or you can be prosecuted for having an untaxed car on the hghway.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
# 8
catieeb06
Old 23-01-2011, 1:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hmmm...the V5 is where we could come unstuck.

Will have to see if I can get a copy of it!
I am a Mortgage Adviser
# 9
rev_henry
Old 23-01-2011, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catieeb06 View Post
Hmmm...the V5 is where we could come unstuck.

Will have to see if I can get a copy of it!
You could just keep it in his name for the time being until you find the V5. Then MOT and insure it, then order your tax online so no one has to see the V5 you can't find. Thus you have a useable car while you're finding the V5/applying for a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to rev_henry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mikey72
Old 23-01-2011, 1:50 PM

Very difficult to get insurance for your brothers car though.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
catieeb06
Old 23-01-2011, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh God. It's all falling apart.
I am a Mortgage Adviser
# 12
scotsman4th
Old 23-01-2011, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlyrich View Post
I just took my insurance and V5 to the post office and got a tax dsk (car doesn't need an MOT) I think you can get a copy V5 (or your brother can) and you will need a prebooked MOT or you can be prosecuted for having an untaxed car on the hghway.
If the car is over 3 years old it DOES require a valid MOT to purchase road tax.
If the MOT isnt pre-booked you could possibly be prosecuted for no tax AND no MOT. (assuming the car wasnt taxed of course)

Last edited by scotsman4th; 23-01-2011 at 3:09 PM.
# 13
scotsman4th
Old 23-01-2011, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_henry View Post
You could just keep it in his name for the time being until you find the V5. Then MOT and insure it, then order your tax online so no one has to see the V5 you can't find. Thus you have a useable car while you're finding the V5/applying for a new one.
Yep, MOT it, insure it in your own name as registered keeper and owner, buy the tax online and it will be delivered to your brother.
Meanwhile, download this. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067819.pdf

Fill it in and send it away with a cheque for (I think, double check) 25. Perhaps make dearest brother pay for it.
Now everything will be sorted.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotsman4th For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
catieeb06
Old 23-01-2011, 4:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks so much! Someone I know in the motor industry has just rung me back and confirmed this!
I am a Mortgage Adviser
# 15
nearlyrich
Old 23-01-2011, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman4th View Post
If the car is over 3 years old it DOES require a valid MOT to purchase road tax.
If the MOT isnt pre-booked you could possibly be prosecuted for no tax AND no MOT. (assuming the car wasnt taxed of course)

Sorry for any confusion I mean't in my case the car didn't need an MOT not that the OP's car doesn't need an MOT...
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
The Following User Says Thank You to nearlyrich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
forgotmyname
Old 23-01-2011, 6:35 PM

You dont need the logbook to change owners, You can apply for a new log book in your name.

BUT the DVLA may send your brother a fine for not notifying them of change of keeper by sending the
V5 back. You can insure the car in your name but your brother still being the owner. Insurance may
charge you more though. Some online quotes assume you are the registered keeper and the legal owner.
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
# 17
scotsman4th
Old 23-01-2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlyrich View Post
Sorry for any confusion I mean't in my case the car didn't need an MOT not that the OP's car doesn't need an MOT...
Was thinking that, I changed my reply a couple of times as well as what I'd written didnt read right and may have mislead lol.
# 18
Wig
Old 23-01-2011, 10:23 PM

You don't have to do it like this but this way is easiest IMHO

You need to MOT first, whilst it's still your brother's name.

Get the best insurance quote and insure it to start in a few days time say about 7 days - this gives you a few days for the insurance certificate to arrive.

Then buy it/register it in your name on the day the insurance is due to start and send off the V5 keep the section 9 (?) green part for yourself.

Go to Post Office with MOT, Insurance and V5 green slip, to get your tax disc and you are officially UNSORNED
# 19
mikey72
Old 23-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
You don't have to do it like this but this way is easiest IMHO

You need to MOT first, whilst it's still your brother's name.

Get the best insurance quote and insure it to start in a few days time say about 7 days - this gives you a few days for the insurance certificate to arrive.

Then buy it/register it in your name on the day the insurance is due to start and send off the V5 keep the section 9 (?) green part for yourself.

Go to Post Office with MOT, Insurance and V5 green slip, to get your tax disc and you are officially UNSORNED
You can't mot it without insurance. (Well you can, but you can't drive it there)
So I would say the best way it to apply for a new V5 in the op's name, with the brothers agreement. (Assuming he has transferred from his Gran)
As this now makes him the owner and keeper, he can insure it in his name.
Drive it to the pre-booked MOT.
Pass.
Apply for tax at the post office with the V5 (if it has arrived), MOT, and insurance.
Or
Apply online, and get the tax in the post.
Enjoy the drive.

Last edited by mikey72; 23-01-2011 at 10:40 PM.
# 20
catieeb06
Old 23-01-2011, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's already at the garage. My mechanic came up here last week and drove it down there.

I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow and ask him to check if the log book is in there. IF it isn't then I have that form that another poster has given me the link to.

I can tax it, insure it etc... I checked on the website, I can drive it for the last 5 working days of the month having bought the tax online but not displaying it. It's not an offence so long as I have a cover note in my car to explain.
I am a Mortgage Adviser
Closed Thread