Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Littlewoods late payment (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Littlewoods late payment
Closed Thread
Views: 2,049
# 1
bsgbees
Old 17-01-2011, 4:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Littlewoods late payment

Hi,

In November I set up a direct debit payment with littlewoods thinking it would be hassle free and therefore avoid any potential complications.

They failed to take a payment in December and I believe that this was an error on their part.

I regularly use Experian credit report and have noticed that there has been an alert issued due to the late payment of 3.04, therefore effecting my credit rating.

Two Questions:

Does Littlewoods have the ability to remove the late payment by admitting responsibility on their part?

And should I be worried about my credit rating over a nominal sum?

Thank you for your assistance!
# 2
Enfieldian
Old 17-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

1) Yes, if you can get Littlewoods to admit liability then they can change the information that Experian hold.

2) Any late payment on your credit account would be detrimental for the next 12 months, at least.
# 3
balmk
Old 17-01-2011, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Did it state on your monthly statement that payment would be taken by DD?
# 4
Experian company representative
Old 17-01-2011, 4:31 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Late payments hang around (on your credit report) for three years if you keep the account open. In the current climate you really don't want any!

James Jones
Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Steven Rathmill & James Jarvis
The Following User Says Thank You to Experian company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MissUno
Old 17-01-2011, 6:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I believe that with a direct debit agreement, the company are responsible to take payment on the dates/intervals signed for or arranged. So therefore if you had it set up with them to debit your account automatically with your monthly minimum payment and they didn't take the money on time to avoid late payment, it's pretty much their fault (in my opinion). It's such a small sum of money, so it might be worth ringing them (free phone number off of sayno is 0800 0151000 I tried it and it still works).
Littlewoods have mucked up my account recently, unfortunately I need to write to them as it's gotten complicated.

Hope you get it sorted and that them not taking such a small amount as previously agreed doesn't put that dreaded stain on your report.
# 6
McCuddly
Old 17-01-2011, 8:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When did you set the direct debit up?

As shop direct wont set the direct debit until after the next statement is produced.

For example: Your statement due date is the 10th January, You ring up on the 2nd to set a direct debit up. They won't set the direct debit until the March statement.

Does your statement mention VDD/Direct Debit as the method of payment?
The Following User Says Thank You to McCuddly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
stclair
Old 17-01-2011, 8:52 PM

You should always pay in your usual way until the company have confirmed on their statement that they will collect the payment via DD.
I Work For NatWest
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
# 8
McCuddly
Old 17-01-2011, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
You should always pay in your usual way until the company have confirmed on their statement that they will collect the payment via DD.
In the time I've worked at SDG they always mail you out a direct debit confirmation with a clear start date
# 9
stclair
Old 17-01-2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuddly View Post
In the time I've worked at SDG they always mail you out a direct debit confirmation with a clear start date
Im not familiar with SDS processes however thats even better then if the OP has the letter with the confirmation date when the first payment will be taken then that will strengthen their case
I Work For NatWest
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
# 10
McCuddly
Old 17-01-2011, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
Im not familiar with SDS processes however thats even better then if the OP has the letter with the confirmation date when the first payment will be taken then that will strengthen their case
Yeah, Usually they don't set it up until after the next statement is produced, e.g.

Setup DD during cycle 1
cycle 2 must be made manually
cycle 3 the DD is then taken

They also apply for the money 5 days before the payment date aswell.
The Following User Says Thank You to McCuddly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bsgbees
Old 17-01-2011, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you very much for the comments.

After reading all the comments and being honest it appears as though it may have been my understanding.

I have contacted Littlewoods via email and hopefully they'll be able to help me out.
# 12
McCuddly
Old 17-01-2011, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgbees View Post
Thank you very much for the comments.

After reading all the comments and being honest it appears as though it may have been my understanding.

I have contacted Littlewoods via email and hopefully they'll be able to help me out.
If you ring enquiries and ask nicely they often refund the charge for a "first offence" or after a good grovel
Closed Thread