Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dagobert
    • By Dagobert 3rd Nov 06, 4:20 PM
    • 1,614Posts
    • 538Thanks
    Dagobert
    transfers from Barclays to Principality, Cheshire, Bradford & Bingley
    • 3rd Nov 06, 4:20 PM
    transfers from Barclays to Principality, Cheshire, Bradford & Bingley 3rd Nov 06 at 4:20 PM
    A tip and warning for the regular saver brigade in particular:

Payments from Barclays to Principality BS, Skipton BS, Cheshire BS, and probably Bradford & Bingley, too, are immediate because they use Barcleys as a clearing bank. Those who try to optimize the regular saver pay-ins by transferring before the 1st, beware: the money will arrive on the same day.

Check the receiving bank's sort code before making a payment at the end of the month: UK sort codes.

To my knowledge, transfers from HSBC to building societies which use HSBC as a clearing bank, don't pose a problem because only personal-to-personal account transfers are immediate.
    Last edited by Dagobert; 29-03-2007 at 5:31 PM. Reason: added Skipton BS
    Dagobert
Page 1
    • Kazza242
    • By Kazza242 3rd Nov 06, 7:17 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 2,449 Thanks
    Kazza242
    • 3rd Nov 06, 7:17 PM
    • 3rd Nov 06, 7:17 PM
    Thanks Dagobert. I first found this out last year when I was feeding my (then 8%) Cheshire regular saver from my Barclays current account. In my case, the payments were arriving the following day i.e. money sent from Barclays on a Monday arrived in my Cheshire RS on Tuesday. I earned a bit of extra interest because of this.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
    • Dagobert
    • By Dagobert 3rd Nov 06, 7:24 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Dagobert
    • 3rd Nov 06, 7:24 PM
    • 3rd Nov 06, 7:24 PM
    I learnt it the hard way: making my Nov payment to the Principality on 30th Oct. It's now in a suspense a/c and in 2 weeks it will be transferred to my Principality instant access saver ...

I checked with the Cheshire to-day: payment sent and received on 1st Nov. Maybe it depends on what time of day you instruct Barclays.
    Dagobert
  • ED
    • 29th Mar 07, 6:52 PM
    • 29th Mar 07, 6:52 PM
    I believe the following Building Societies use BARCLAYS as their clearing bank : Cheshire BS, Ipswich BS, Newcastle BS, Portman BS, Principality BS, Saffron BS, Skipton BS. LLOYDS are used by Loughborough BS. Anyone got additions for Dagobert's excellent thread?
    • Dagobert
    • By Dagobert 29th Mar 07, 7:13 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Dagobert
    • 29th Mar 07, 7:13 PM
    • 29th Mar 07, 7:13 PM
    the following Building Societies use BARCLAYS as their clearing bank : ... Ipswich BS ...
    Originally posted by ED
    Although, Ipswich use Barclays as their clearing bank, transfers from Barclays are not immediate.

The first part of Ipswich' sort code is 23, not 20 whatever that means. In any case, at Barclays it doesn't show up as immediate transfer and, indeed, it takes 3 working days.

LLOYDS are used by Loughborough BS.
    Originally posted by ED
    Beware that transfers from Lloyds TSB Scotland will probably not be immediate. I read somewhere that transfers from ICICI to Lloyds TSB should be immediate (ICICI use TSB as clearing bank) but payments to TSB Scotland accounts go through the BACS cycle.
    Dagobert
    • Dagobert
    • By Dagobert 29th Mar 07, 8:21 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Dagobert
    • 29th Mar 07, 8:21 PM
    1st internal transfer from Barclays delayed
    • 29th Mar 07, 8:21 PM
    ... Cheshire regular saver from my Barclays current account. In my case, the payments were arriving the following day
    Originally posted by Kazza242
    It appears to be the case that the first internal payment you make to an account is held back for one working day.

The first time I attempted an online payment to the Cheshire BS, I got a response informing me that the first payment to another Barclays customer would be delayed by a day to check the details are valid.

My first payment to the Skipton BS arrived the following working day. The second payment arrived immediately.
    Dagobert
  • ED
    • 30th Mar 07, 7:45 AM
    • 30th Mar 07, 7:45 AM
    Invaluable info, thanks Dagobert. (Guess who is currently changing the source of monthly deposits to various Building Societies!)
    Newcastle Bdg Soc + Portman Bdg Soc also use 23 (not 20) as the first part of their sort code, so presumably transfers via BARCLAYS would also take the usual 3 banking days - anyone experienced this?
    Last edited by ED; 30-03-2007 at 7:49 AM.
  • AndyR
    • 30th Mar 07, 12:35 PM
    • 30th Mar 07, 12:35 PM
    If the sort code starts 20, it should be an instant transfer. If it starts 23 (or 25 for bill payments) then it won't go through straight away.

However, if the payment goes into a suspense account (normally the case if you have to quote a roll number) then it may not actually be credited to your building society account straight away.
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • ED
    • 30th Mar 07, 12:59 PM
    • 30th Mar 07, 12:59 PM
    Thanks, AndyR. Looks like Barclays are ahead of other clearing banks with this potentially useful facility.
    • Dagobert
    • By Dagobert 30th Mar 07, 1:34 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Dagobert
    If the sort code ... starts 23 (or 25 for bill payments) then it won't go through straight away.
    Originally posted by AndyR
    As a matter of interest, why is that? I thought sort codes 23 + 25 were Barclays, too?

if the payment goes into a suspense account (normally the case if you have to quote a roll number) then it may not actually be credited to your building society account straight away.
    Originally posted by AndyR
    In the case of transfers to collection accounts to the above mentioned building societies (Skipton, Cheshire, Principality), the payments arrive on the same day.
    Dagobert
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,809Posts Today

7,447Users online

Martin's Twitter