Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eastie77
    • By Eastie77 9th Jan 11, 11:57 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 71Thanks
    Eastie77
    John Lewis - surprised at such bad customer service
    • 9th Jan 11, 11:57 AM
    John Lewis - surprised at such bad customer service 9th Jan 11 at 11:57 AM
    I always shop at John Lewis when possible as their level of customer service is usually great but I'm shocked at my latest experience. I ordered a TV online last week and paid for named day delivery (Saturday) as I work during the week. On Saturday afternoon around 2pm decided to call to double check the item was on it's way as when I checked my JL order online the status was 'processing'. I was informed that it wouldn't be delivered as the item had sold out! I asked why no-one had informed me, re-iterating that i had paid £6.95 for a named delivery day but the customer services person, although apologetic, just kept saying 'well it's sold out, I don't know what else to tell you'. He then said 'oh I can see we've ordered some more but I can't tell you when they'll arrive'. He assured me someone from JL would call me back later that day.

That call didn't materialise so I called back and this time decided to suggest that I could pick up the TV myself from a JL store if there were any available in-store. I logged onto to my JL online account to get the order number and saw that the order had been updated to status 'Despatched'. Great! However when I called JL I was told that 'Despatched' actually meant that the paperwork for the TV had been sent to a depot but not the actual TV due to some kind of mix-up and all TVs had def. sold out and they were awaiting a new batch.

I was then told that I would have to call back on Tues/Wed next week to find out when I might expect delivery.

To end the story on a high note, the Customer Services person then reminded me that the TV I had ordered was at a clearance price. The next batch of TVs which were arriving would be sold at normal price (they are exactly the same) and so I would have to 'speak to someone to try and ensure that you don't have to pay the extra for it as the clearance one you ordered has obviously sold out'.

Not impressed!
Page 5
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 7th Apr 16, 3:03 PM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    Wouldn't be easier if there was just an app to help this?

Literally one like a WhatsApp that just let you communicate directly with customer services teams of a range of different retailers. I mean it wouldn't completely negate the possibility of bad experiences, but would at least make contacting customers services more pleasant in my opinion!
    Originally posted by JBiicon
    Maybe the Resolver people should create an app?
    • Pramilla
    • By Pramilla 19th Apr 17, 8:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pramilla
    Shoddy product, worse customer services
    After 20 years our old cooker needed replacement, though it was still working. After much research we opted for a John Lewis brand cooker and buying from JL. The cooker conked within days. After much too-ing and fro-ing between my husband and customer services, a workman was finally sent out who advised getting a replacement. Again much too-ing and fro-ing with an email saying one thing and a text another until finally workmen arrived to remove the faulty cooker - with no replacement and no idea as to when we'd receive a replacement. THIS WAS DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Faced with the prospect of no baking or cooking over the festive season, we insisted on a replacement at the same time as removal. Finally the two things were arranged to coincide in the new year.

The replacement has now, within months, shown all manner of faults. JL arranged to send a workman in between 2 and 5 on a given date. My husband waited at home for the entire afternoon and finally at 5:30 the workman called to say he might be with us in a further half hour. At 6:30, when my husband had finally been forced to leave for an important engagement, the workman called again to say he was on his way.

JL's website says that if an arrangement is made and we are not home they will charge us. i.e. their time is important and worth money. Apparently this doesn't work the other way around. Now we have to await another call or email again to make another arrangement, wait again and hope because apparently our time, the time of paying customers, is not important and not worth anything.

I went onto the JL website to say all this and received an email rejecting my review as unsuitable. AND TELLING ME THAT IF I HAD A PROBLEM TO TAKE IT UP WITH CUSTOMER SERVICES. I think that either the moderator is functionally illiterate or totally stupid - or perhaps it's just JL continuing to treat us like we not only don't matter but we cannot even have a voice to protest being treated like rubbish
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th Apr 17, 8:08 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    IAmWales
    After 20 years our old cooker needed replacement, though it was still working. After much research we opted for a John Lewis brand cooker and buying from JL. The cooker conked within days. After much too-ing and fro-ing between my husband and customer services, a workman was finally sent out who advised getting a replacement. Again much too-ing and fro-ing with an email saying one thing and a text another until finally workmen arrived to remove the faulty cooker - with no replacement and no idea as to when we'd receive a replacement. THIS WAS DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Faced with the prospect of no baking or cooking over the festive season, we insisted on a replacement at the same time as removal. Finally the two things were arranged to coincide in the new year.

The replacement has now, within months, shown all manner of faults. JL arranged to send a workman in between 2 and 5 on a given date. My husband waited at home for the entire afternoon and finally at 5:30 the workman called to say he might be with us in a further half hour. At 6:30, when my husband had finally been forced to leave for an important engagement, the workman called again to say he was on his way.

JL's website says that if an arrangement is made and we are not home they will charge us. i.e. their time is important and worth money. Apparently this doesn't work the other way around. Now we have to await another call or email again to make another arrangement, wait again and hope because apparently our time, the time of paying customers, is not important and not worth anything.

I went onto the JL website to say all this and received an email rejecting my review as unsuitable. AND TELLING ME THAT IF I HAD A PROBLEM TO TAKE IT UP WITH CUSTOMER SERVICES. I think that either the moderator is functionally illiterate or totally stupid - or perhaps it's just JL continuing to treat us like we not only don't matter but we cannot even have a voice to protest being treated like rubbish
    Originally posted by Pramilla
    You don't need to keep posting the same thing on different forums. It's the third I've seen it on.

The John Lewis website allows you to leave product reviews. This is not a product review, it is a service complaint. The email you received is correct, you need to speak to customer service. Perhaps it's not the moderator that is "functionally illiterate or totally stupid"?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,622Posts Today

8,661Users online

Martin's Twitter