Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Stoozing: Free Cash from Credit Cards > Santander CC - 16 Months BT - 0 FEE - Existing C... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Santander CC - 16 Months BT - 0 FEE - Existing Customers Only
Closed Thread
Views: 4,087
# 1
Martinslovechild
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Santander CC - 16 Months BT - 0 FEE - Existing Customers Only

As a "valued customer" (I have a Santander account with a zero-balance which I haven't used in over 12 months), I've today received an application pack for the new Santander Credit Card (this is the red one, not the black 'Zero' card).

There's a special offer for existing Santander customers - they're offering 0% on balance transfers for 16 months and those transfers are completely fee-free for the first three months.

Applications for the card must be received by post no later than February 14th.

I'm gonna party like it's 2005!!

Mortgage Feb 2001 - 129,000
Mortgage July 2007 - 0
Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
Mortgage Interest saved - 63790.60
ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2013 - 8.61% (updated 24 Feb 2013)
# 2
ses6jwg
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

you're not eligible because you arent funding the c/a with 1k per month.
# 3
Martinslovechild
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just read through all of the CC documentation and there's nothing at all about a requirement to fund the current account with 1,000 per month.

The funding requirement is only actually necessary during the first 12 months if you want the 5% interest on the first 2,500 in your current account. However, even then if you don't fund it, you simply earn the lower level of 1%.
Mortgage July 2007 - 0
# 4
gwapenut
Old 14-01-2011, 8:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do they have leaflets for this offer in their branches, as was the case with the previous 12 months 0% 0 fee deal?
# 5
nikki1520
Old 14-01-2011, 8:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got this offer and I only have my mortgage with them, so it doesn't seem to be tied to the current account at all
# 6
gwapenut
Old 14-01-2011, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do ex Alliance and Leicester accounts qualify for the fee free balance transfers - either this offer, or the previous 12 month one?
# 7
mrs T
Old 14-01-2011, 4:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I went into branch today to open a current a/c (already had an a&l isa) and get 100 instead of being charged to use my arranged overdraft by lloyds tsb. When I asked about credit cards the girl said they had 2 but both incurred a balance transfer fee. I said I'd heard they had a cc with no btf but she insisted this had stopped on 1st of jan so I didn't sign up for a cc. When I checked the website at home they are still offering the zero card to existing customers with no btf and 6 months interest free, which I would have taken in the branch. My tesco 13 months 0% deal finishes in march so if I can't find a cc without a btf I'll just pay it off from my ISA. I think I'll phone them and see if they'll improve on the 6 months offer though, pity their staff don't know their own products.

Got the same spiel on the phone even though the leaflet I'd been given in the branch said 0% on bt's in the first 3 months. She then she said she would check and came back to say they could offer no btf and six months 0%. I didn't sign up as I don't need it till march but I'll try again in feb to see if they improve thier offer.

Last edited by mrs T; 11-02-2011 at 9:59 AM.
# 8
ses6jwg
Old 14-01-2011, 6:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

In branch, both CCs now carry a 3% fee however the interest free period has been extended from 13 to 16 months for mortgage, investment and eligible current account customers who fund a c/a with more than 1k or switch to us.
The Following User Says Thank You to ses6jwg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Martinslovechild
Old 16-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapenut View Post
Do they have leaflets for this offer in their branches, as was the case with the previous 12 months 0% 0 fee deal?
This looks like it's specifically targetted to certain Santander customers. As I mentioned earlier, I would hardly consider myself "loyal" as I haven't used the Santander account in 12 months - they made so many mistakes operating my current account that I really couldn't trust them any longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapenut View Post
Do ex-Alliance and Leicester accounts qualify for the fee free balance transfers - either this offer, or the previous 12 month one?
I would imagine so - Alliance & Leicester accounts were all migrated onto Santander's servers some months back (this is well documented due to them making a massive mess of that too!)
Mortgage July 2007 - 0
The Following User Says Thank You to Martinslovechild For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
dentonemma
Old 28-01-2011, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,
I have also received details in the post for 0% BT for 16 mths. It seems to good to miss.
On the santander Credit card application form I can add an additional card holder my DH.
Does anyone know if it possible to do a balance transfer to his egg credit card ? (in his name only).
Thank You
Pay 7,500 in 2011 paid 29,325 No 43 OP 21,825
Olympic 78= 20,000 paid 35,708 over paid 15,708
Mortgage over payment 1996/1497 paid in 2011
sealed pot 4 number 845
Weight Loss 29lbs/13lbs
# 11
sujman
Old 28-01-2011, 12:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was in the process of trying to close my old A&L account when I got this offer too.

Despite not having funded the account for many months and incurring "under funding charges" and now overdraft charges (as a result of the underfinding charge!), I was still eligable for this deal which I took out.

So while on the one had I am unhappy with the service I got in trying to close the account and the subsequent hassle of the fees I refuse to pay, fair do's, I've got a great big balance transfered onto their CC and dont have to pay it off until the middle of next year!
Closed Thread