Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ClaytonM
    Royal Mail post being stolen
    • 7th Jan 11, 6:53 PM
    Royal Mail post being stolen 7th Jan 11 at 6:53 PM
    Hi All,

What can I do about my Post being stolen on a regular basis. I have had cards and parcels go missing and even the contents removed and empty boxes delivered!!

Items were ordered from well known websites. As they are sent via royal mail standard 1st or 2nd class can I simply ask for a full refund as I have never recieved the items? In some most cases I don't recieve a thing just assume it is lost/ stolen after 3-4 weeks.

Any advise for claiming money back is much appreciated.
    One item was paid on credit card.

Many thanks
Page 1
  • cheapscate
    • 7th Jan 11, 7:06 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 7:06 PM
    royal mail make it as difficult as possible to sort this type of thing out - they insist you get the people who posted you the items to report that they were not received - the form is as long as your arm, the poster needs to wait quite a while before being able to report the fact that you didn't get what they sent you, and the form doesn't allow for accusations of theft. I have had exactly the same problem as you and it was impossible to rectify - I now have very very very little sent to my address.
    I think if I could go back in time I would bypass Royal Mail and just contact the police.
  • GemJar
    • 7th Jan 11, 8:17 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 8:17 PM
    Get yourself an iphone box (or similar) post it to yourself and include a note inside saying you're well aware that your post is being stolen and if anything else is taken from now on that you will be going to the police. See if it gets to you if not, then the message should get to your five fingered postie (fingers crossed anyway)
  • ClaytonM
    • 7th Jan 11, 8:46 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 8:46 PM
    It does seem like your pretty much stuck with a poor service. I may approach our postman about it, not pointing the finger at him exactly but atleast he will think twice if it is him.

I may just contact the police anyway as the last box I recieved had clearly had the contents stolen, its quite laughable that the postie had the cheek to deliver it, I did wonder why it had a funny look on his face.

I may well do that, maybe post a card with a note saying congratulations on being a thieving B*$&%D.
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 7th Jan 11, 9:00 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 7,148 Thanks
    taurusgb
    • 7th Jan 11, 9:00 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 9:00 PM
    Hi All,

What can I do about my Post being stolen on a regular basis. I have had cards and parcels go missing and even the contents removed and empty boxes delivered!!

Items were ordered from well known websites. As they are sent via royal mail standard 1st or 2nd class can I simply ask for a full refund as I have never recieved the items? In some most cases I don't recieve a thing just assume it is lost/ stolen after 3-4 weeks.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by ClaytonM
    You have my deepest sympathy. About 3 years ago I spent 2 years complaining about missing post, - on one famous ocassion I ordered 4 DVD's from Play.com, all were sent in separate packages and NONE of them arrived......I involved Royal Mail, the police, Postwatch and my MP. Nothing made a blind bit of difference, I was particularly infuriated by Royal Mail's stance - they couldn't have cared less and I was constantly told that it was nothing to do with their service or their staff. THEN the local binmen reported a sack of undelivered mail that had been put out with the rubbish for collection. Turns out the local postman had been stealing mail and after filling his house, loft, shed and garage was running out of storage space .......I'm still fuming mad now!

Good luck!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • shaun from Africa
    • 7th Jan 11, 9:27 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 9:27 PM
    royal mail make it as difficult as possible to sort this type of thing out - they insist you get the people who posted you the items to report that they were not received
    Provided that you have all the required info, either the sender or the intended receipient can start a claim for lost or damaged mail, which is why the following option is given on the claim form.

Are you the Sender or Recipient (please tick)

• p00hsticks
    • 7th Jan 11, 9:43 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 9:43 PM

Many thanks
    Originally posted by ClaytonM
    Simply inform the sender that you haven't recieved the goods you ordered and paid for and tell them to either re-send them or refund you. It's their problem, not yours, if the delivery method they choose results in goods going missing, and the contract between you and them will mean it's down to them to ensure that the goods reach you in good condition and in a reasonable amount of time.
  • cheapscate
    • 8th Jan 11, 10:32 AM
    • 8th Jan 11, 10:32 AM
    Provided that you have all the required info, either the sender or the intended receipient can start a claim for lost or damaged mail, which is why the following option is given on the claim form.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa

typical Royal Mail giving out conflicting information!

this is on their website:
    We allow 20 working days for items to arrive at European destinations and 25 working days for the rest of the world, so cannot accept a claim for loss unless at least 20 or 25 working days have passed since the item was posted. All claims must be submitted by the sender within 6 months of posting the item.
  • xdaisyx
    • 8th Jan 11, 10:03 PM
    • 8th Jan 11, 10:03 PM
    typical Royal Mail giving out conflicting information!

this is on their website:
    We allow 20 working days for items to arrive at European destinations and 25 working days for the rest of the world, so cannot accept a claim for loss unless at least 20 or 25 working days have passed since the item was posted. All claims must be submitted by the sender within 6 months of posting the item.
    Originally posted by cheapscate

you are looking at international mail details there
  • davidlizard
    We, and most of our street, have a similar problem with our post and have so for some time.

The Post Office nor the police care - the police say its a post office issue, whilst the post office give us a fob off saying just a tiny minority of stuff gets stolen.

Some hints:
    - Sign up for paperless bank/credit card statements so less stuff useful for id theft can get stolen.
    - Advise the banks that you have a serious theft problem and arrange to pick up credit cards and other important stuff in the branch.
    - Tell friends and family to put birthday cards in brown envelopes (ones with windows seem to attract less attention) and certainly do not put cash/cheques/vouchers etc in them).
    - Get important stuff sent somewhere else (e.g. work).
    - Use alternative couriers where practical.
  • dyynot10
    I am very worry because I have waiting for 5 packages for two weeks from Amazon and ebay. I have spoken with neighbours and they say they are also waiting for stuff since several days ago.

I have checking Royal mail website and I am going to try this, specially now that I just sign up in Love Film. This is a service that out out from getting your mail delivered to your address. They keep it for 6 days, within those days, you can go to the post office to collect it.

It is called MAIL COLLECT and it is free - it doesn't allow me to post website addresses, so you need to find out more in the Royal mail website, under the section Delivery
  • custardy
    I am very worry because I have waiting for 5 packages for two weeks from Amazon and ebay. I have spoken with neighbours and they say they are also waiting for stuff since several days ago.

I have checking Royal mail website and I am going to try this, specially now that I just sign up in Love Film. This is a service that out out from getting your mail delivered to your address. They keep it for 6 days, within those days, you can go to the post office to collect it.

It is called MAIL COLLECT and it is free - it doesn't allow me to post website addresses, so you need to find out more in the Royal mail website, under the section Delivery
    Originally posted by uridiego
    no,you go to the delivery office
  • ju1i3
    Have things sent recorded then it's trackable. That's what Royal Mail wants you to use.
  • arcon5
    Have things sent recorded then it's trackable. That's what Royal Mail wants you to use.
    Originally posted by ju1i3
    I'm under the opinion you can't track recorded delivery items until after they have been delivered......... in which a substantial number of recorded delivery items don't actually get signed for anyway.

Special delivery I believe is what you would need.

Maybe Custardy can clarify this............
  • arcon5

Originally posted by uridiego
    Is this an ongoing problem? If its not, I would contact your depot to see if your area has a backlog of parcels yet to be delivered.......
  • heatherks
    you used to be able to get a marker pen that marked the thieves fingers/ hands when they touch item inside

id send a card / small parcel to your home address with a message inside saying you know whats going ..... it and see if it gets delivered to your home address unopened or not

i have had various items go missing not just from Ebay but Play , prepaymania and amazon ...you can justify one or two but beyond that Royal mail have a problem in the system
  • Pollycat
    you used to be able to get a marker pen that marked the thieves fingers/ hands when they touch item inside

id send a card / small parcel to your home address with a message inside saying you know whats going ..... it and see if it gets delivered to your home address unopened or not

i have had various items go missing not just from Ebay but Play , prepaymania and amazon ...you can justify one or two but beyond that Royal mail have a problem in the system
    Originally posted by heatherks
    I very much doubt the OP will see your suggestion.

The original post was dated 7th January 2011, the OP logged off a couple of hours after that post and hasn't been back since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,453Posts Today

6,397Users online

Martin's Twitter