Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    davidw691
    help with additional borrowing for extension
    • 7th Jan 11, 5:50 PM
    help with additional borrowing for extension 7th Jan 11 at 5:50 PM
    hi ,not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes!
    i am having a 2 storey extension built and need some advice about the best way to finance the 25K i need for the build!
    i have applied to my existing mortgage company for the additional amount but they valued my house less than i was hoping for, so have only offered me 14K
    out of the 14K i need to use 2K to pay off an existing loan
    saving me 180 per month
    my current mortgage deal is fixed for another 3yrs and i have 23 years remaining at 350 a month

to make up the short fall i want to get a personal loan of 13K
    to afford this i need to decrease my mortgage, my budget is 550 per month
    i can reduce my mortgage payments in 2 ways and am not sure which will be best option-

1, increase the term of my mortgage and additional borrowing of 14K to 30 yrs to bring down payments to 382 a month

2, change my mortgage payments to interest only which would be 300 per month

i plan to remortgage in 3yrs time when the fixed term is up and to consolidate the 13K loan into the new mortgage
    any help here would be much appreciated as i have an impatient wife here who just wants her new extension built yesterday
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,720Posts Today

8,448Users online

Martin's Twitter