Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Huwmungas
    Petrol vs Diesel on short distances
    • 1st Jan 11, 2:16 PM
    Petrol vs Diesel on short distances 1st Jan 11 at 2:16 PM
    Hi,

I currently have a Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 Petrol, W reg, which I'm very happy with, but it's costing me a lot in fuel, so for that reason alone I'm looking at getting another car, and some help, hopefully.

I live 2.2 miles from work. The first mile to work is country roads, which I can do 50mph, all uphill.
    The second mile is a 30mph town road. There are rarely cues or stoppages as it's on the edge oof town. I take 5 turns resulting in coming down to 2nd gear, I then try to put it gently to 4th gear and cruise until the next one.

I work Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm. I am planning to bike into work as many days as I can, which should save a lot of money, but on miserable weather days, and days where I need to get back home quicker I do intend to drive. I also want a car for visiting family and friends who live 1 hour away (mainly single carrage, A road driving), every 3-4 weeks.

I rarely drive on the motorway.

I'm thinking of getting a small engine diesel, like 1.5l or 1.6l. But, I have heard that short distances aren't great for diesel engines. I'm tempted by the Renault Clio 65, but I would prefer a slightly more manly car. I want a cheap running car ultimately, but I have to be honest and admit style is slightly important.

My car is selling for approx 1500-2000, and I have up to 500 to spend on top of that.

1. What fuel shall I opt for due to my commute, diesel or petrol?
    2. Any cars in particular you would recommend?

Thank you
    debt - 1566 (owed to OH)

2011 Challenges
    Sealed Pot Challenge
    2 Challenge
    Grocery Challenge
Page 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,409Posts Today

6,360Users online

Martin's Twitter