IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much can you save?
Views: 1,267,320
# 21
iamsam
Old 04-11-2006, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't get paid overtime :-( also went a bit crazy in ASDA last night - they had a 3 crates of beer for £24 deal. Ever having an eye for a bargain (and a penchant for beer), I bought a load! I reasoned it's cheaper than popping to Threshers now and again (but not cheaper than not drinking so much beer...).
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamsam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Wanno
Old 04-11-2006, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Realised that I will finally have to pay the bill (2600)for the course I'm doing at the moment. This probably means that I will only be able to save about 500 into the ISA and Regular saver. I was hoping for more. Well I suppose it could spur me on to cut down on expenditure and see if I canrecoup the money from elsewhere!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wanno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
babes21
Old 04-11-2006, 6:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hiya everyone, mind if i join you?

I'm 21 and ideally i'd like to own my own property for when i reach 25. At first i'm going to set a goal for £10,000 then ideally build that up until i'm in a comfortable position to purchase.

I've just opened a ISA, so to date have £100 in. Next month i should at least be able to put another £400 in, although what with it being so close to christmas, i'll have to see.

Great thread and hopefully we can keep it running until we all reach our targets.

Good luck everyone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Wanno
Old 05-11-2006, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Babes 21 you're more than welcome to join us. I'll do my best to keep posting the amount and keep it current. I'm 24 and am dying to move out of renting so the quicker that 10,000 mark comes the better. Now just have to stop spending it on rubbish. Sounds like you are on the right track though and with £400 a month going into the savings bank then you should be well on the way to meeting the goal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
Mr. H
Old 05-11-2006, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I find being a tee-totaller and not having a car really helps with saving
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. H For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
zag2me
Old 05-11-2006, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the advice on the student loans I have actually had a change of heart now and am going to put it all into savings instead.

And some encouragement to anyone saving a house deposit. I managed to save 17,500 over about 3 years living with my parents towards my first property. Im posting this message from my couch in that very flat so it is possible!

Keep up the saving.
Mortgage free 35 year old!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zag2me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
save-a-lot
Old 05-11-2006, 9:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to save-a-lot Send a message via Skype™ to save-a-lot

Hi

I would like to join this thread too. This month I have managed to pay in a further 400 into my Halifax Stocks and Shares Investor ISA and I have also upped the direct debit from 50 t0 100 per month into this. I am not saving for anything in particular at the moment, only an easier life in the future. In this tax year any bonuses or increments in pay, any money at Christmas and birthday will be added to this account in order to try and fill my ISA allowance for this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to save-a-lot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
kaz250
Old 05-11-2006, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi ALL,
Just though i'll see what debt free people are doing with thier money and i stumbled across this great thread. Keep up the saving guys and hope to join you around april next year when i become debt free.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaz250 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
babes21
Old 06-11-2006, 4:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanno
Hi Babes 21 you're more than welcome to join us. I'll do my best to keep posting the amount and keep it current. I'm 24 and am dying to move out of renting so the quicker that 10,000 mark comes the better. Now just have to stop spending it on rubbish. Sounds like you are on the right track though and with £400 a month going into the savings bank then you should be well on the way to meeting the goal.

Thanks Wanno, the amount i put into my savings each month will differ, although i'm aiming to put at least a minimum £100 per month in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
babes21
Old 06-11-2006, 4:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz250
Hi ALL,
Just though i'll see what debt free people are doing with thier money and i stumbled across this great thread. Keep up the saving guys and hope to join you around april next year when i become debt free.
Hi Kaz

I enjoy reading the Debt Free wannabe forum as it teaches me what i can cut back on, their daily and weekly challenges etc help me keep track on what i'm spending my money on, a lot of useful tips and money saving ideas.

Look forward to you joining us and good luck with becoming debt free.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
babes21
Old 10-11-2006, 4:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just a quick bump to see how everyones doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Judi
Old 10-11-2006, 5:27 PM

I had a cheque come through today from Freefivers for 26, so i am still in the running. I aint banked it yet though. Managed to save 8 on my groceries this week. Things are going to be a bit tighter though nearer christmas.

How are the rest of you doing?
'Holy crap on a cracker!'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
mutleypig
Old 10-11-2006, 5:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerwinn
I am with everybody on the savings front and found ReportInvestor's post very useful and checked out the websites for the regular savers. Couldn't find the 10% Barclays one on their website (could be my poor navigation).
Is it on the website???

Also found that HSBC said you have to have your salary paid into the current account before you could open a regular saver. I have a current account but have my salary paid elsewhere. Is there a way round this?

Thanks
I am self employed & opened an HSBC regular saver a/c - I just had to pay an amount into the current account each month - suggest you check the T&C's first but it might be a way round it
The Following User Says Thank You to mutleypig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
steady__eddie
Old 10-11-2006, 6:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Wanno, when you said earlier, "I went a bit mad in boots last night" were you refering to the well known retail outlet or is this an activity that I have not yet encountered ?
On a more mundane note, just to suppliment Report Investors list, Britannia are doing a RegSave @ 7.5% for 12 months. I currently subscribe to RegSaves to the tune of 2.6k/ month but the problem is my wages are only about half of that. It is possible with perfect timing and a decent spreadsheet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steady__eddie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
jo_b
Old 11-11-2006, 4:43 PM

Hi everybody.

I'd like to join in with you all and hopefully get back into regular saving!

I'm not able to commit to you a regular amount each month but am planning to log my everyday 'savings' (discounts, cashback, Amazon/eBay profits etc) and pay them into my ISA on a regular basis.

Hopefully this thread will act as motivation to keep remembering to record savings and pay them in!

Going to make a start from today and make my first ISA payment on Friday.

Today I've saved 21 on a coat (for my boy) that's through sale discounts and Nectar points.
The Following User Says Thank You to jo_b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Wanno
Old 12-11-2006, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi there everyone. Glad to see everyone is still going strong with the post. Welcome to everyone new and I hope this post helps with motivation to put something away every now and again.
I had a bit of an expensive week. I was only planning to spend about 200 pounds a month (bills etc excluded) but I have gone over this due to going on a course and having to stay in a hotel all week. Did a big supermarket shop for the whole month and so shouldn't have to buy anything much after that. This month I should be able to put in about 750 pounds into various accounts.
# 37
Wanno
Old 12-11-2006, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ive just been reminded why I am saving for a deposit for a little place of my own. My house mate is in a band and practises singing for at least 5 days out of the week and for about 2-4 hours at a time. It was fine for the first week but now the incessantly loud and, dare I say it, slightly out of tune scales (some of the songs also involve a lot of shouting!) are beginning to grate. Can't really tell him to stop it either.
I wish he could have told us before he moved in.

Oh to have a place of my own! Roll on deposit
# 38
georgiasmum
Old 12-11-2006, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm joining in too! Opened my Target saver and my Regular saver isa with ipswich so that's 370. I'm putting 75 per month to pay for semi regular expenses (car tax, servicing etc). Feeling very virtuous. A great idea for a thread by the way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to georgiasmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Phoenix79
Old 12-11-2006, 4:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all...can i join?!

Although i'm paying off debts (aiming to get them all on 0% cards), i have £3k sitting in a spare account. Just looking for the best place to put it. Just looking through the ISA options.....

Last edited by Phoenix79; 12-11-2006 at 5:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
save-a-lot
Old 12-11-2006, 5:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to save-a-lot Send a message via Skype™ to save-a-lot

Hi

How about making this a 'how much can you save club' and put our achievements in our signitures? just an idea that will help motivate each other

Last edited by save-a-lot; 12-11-2006 at 5:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to save-a-lot For This Useful Post: Show me >>