Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

disgraceful boiler cover .scottish power
    • 11th Dec 10, 7:48 AM
    disgraceful boiler cover .scottish power 11th Dec 10 at 7:48 AM
    Official insert

If you have come here via Google and are looking for cheap boiler insurance, please also read our full Boiler Cover guide on the main website.

Back to the original post...

its day 20 of having no central heating. I've got scottish powers home comfort premium care - what a joke . had 4 engineers in total .1 no show . 1 who said he would return in a few hours , never did. no phone calls . the list is endless of a disgraceful service .I would advice anyone not to take out there boiler insurance . has anyone else had similar problems ? does anyone know if there is a time limit for boiler to be fixed? engineer No 3 was meant to be coming between9-11 today [the same one who ordered wrong parts on day 3 and failed to show on day 18 ] . Guess what no show . I phoned eaga he sub contracter] . They could not get hold of him . told they would phone me back with info , heard nothing . I've been in touch with scottish power customer complains since day 2 [ after engineer No 2 failed to return with a part ] . while they are nice and understanding , no real help. I just want to tell them to stuff the contract and get my own engineer in and send them the bill.
    Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 21-02-2013 at 2:41 PM. Reason: up date
Page 12
    • Mireille Haviland
    • By Mireille Haviland 21st Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mireille Haviland
    Beyond economic repair???
    Iím after some advice. I called out Scottish power as I am on the care plan and have been without hot water for 6 days now. The engineer said I needed a new valve and heíd order the part . Came back 5 minutes later and handed me a letter stating they wonít going to repair my boiler as it was beyond economic repair and the letter says I need to replace the boiler myself within 28 days. He couldnt answer any of my questions. I put in a complaint and wAs told an operations manager would ring me back. They didnít. I put in a complaint and phoned several time s that day . Everyone gave me a different story and said they could t see the details . I was eventually told it was a divertor valve head and body and would take a day to fit and 2 people! Canít get any answers and have paid into this plan for 1 year. I have been very distressed and they have been rude and unhelpful and I keep being told Iíll get phone with a decision. They wonít send me a copy of their complaints procedure and say I am not allowed to contact any external body!!! What kind of customer care is this! Iíve never experienced anything like it . But reading in line a lot of people are having this experience .
    • nevans
    • By nevans 23rd Feb 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Do not get scottish power boiler care!!!
    First rule of life, do NOT get the Scottish Power Boiler Cover.

I am on my 9th night now without my boiler being fixed.

I am a single working (12 hour days) father with a 7 year old son. have been paying this a cover for 2 years and am a SP gas/electric customer, although I wont be next week as am switching based upon the way they treat us.

I had a engineer come out (sub contractor) the day after I logged the call., i thought this isn't so bad, maybe the negative reviews are just a minority... He said he knew the problem and ordered the part there and then, he showed me on his i-pad.

Whiel he was there he boasted about being on at least £500 per day as a subbie to scottish power, it is in their interest to string out jobs to take more of our money. No boiler/gas engineers are employed by Scottish power.

Nothing happened until Monday when I called them for an update (they promised they would call me but the failed), they told me the part was order that day, Monday, FOUR days after i was told it was ordered. On the Wednesday an engineer came out....with the wrong part! This is a week now since I originally called them. So Mr "I'm on £500 a day" ordered the wrong part ...... obviously.

I called them, because they will NOT call you, remember this, and was told they were 'very sorry' and said they had order the new part and hopefully will be sorted out tomorrow.

I called them yesterday (Thursday 22/02) and was told they ordered the NEW part that day, even though the engineer had ordered it the day before but they couldn't confirm it had actually been ordered, and it's not looking likely that it will be sorted this weekend and it's -5C currently.

I pay for this service upfront, they act like you are a hindrance and that they are doing us a favour, it's disgusting the way they treat the very people who pay their wages and without us there is no Scottish Power.

Yesterday while talking again to their emergency team I could hear the people in the call centre all shouting and laughing and having a great time in the background, while us paying MUGS get the worst service I have ever known.

They lie to us, whilst taking our hard earned money and treat us like s**t..

They should not be able to get away with this, OFGEM or some consumer group need to get involved ASAP and shut this shower of s**t down.

I will cancel anything I have with Scottish Power, and urge everyone I know, and everyone they know to switch to another provider.
    Last edited by nevans; 23-02-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    • Sevenacres
    • By Sevenacres 27th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scottish Power Boiler Care not worth the money
    I too had SP Homecare Premium and was left without heating or hot water for 2 weeks, I eventually had to get someone else to repair it and have billed SP for the £116 and the cost of the care package £326 since it was started in June 2016 as I feel they have not provided a satisfactory service. they tell me I can only expect £60 with a goodwill gesture of £40 on top.
    If I want to pursue it further I need to go through a small claims court which I do not particularly want to do. Any ideas gratefully received??
    These big companies have us minnows over a barrel knowing there is little we can do.
    I would not recommend SP to anyone as the service they provided was absolutely disgraceful.
    Last edited by Sevenacres; 27-02-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: addition of text
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Having read through a number (but not all!) of the posts going back to 2010/2011 I can see that I'm not alone and that Scottish Power seem to worse now than before, despite promises to sort their act out.

I signed up in late 2016 for their HomeComfort package and at the time was offered a 4 month free period. To cut a long story short, I complained to them after all the cancelled appointments, false promises and the boiler certficate and letters that never arrived. I had been told by the first agent that my cover was not valid until the engineer had been on his initial visit to check the boiler but, in a subsequent conversation, I was told this was not right. Hence I had assumed the cover hadn't started when in fact it had. This all made a complete nonsense of the free trial period.

They even managed to ignore, or forget about, my complaint and I had to prompt them again several months later. The excuse was that our line was always engaged which I know not to be true. Anyway if it had been then why not email or even write me a letter? In the end they did give me a small compensatory amount so I put that all behind me.

When it came to renewal time in October last year, I made the mistaken assumption that they may have improved and my initial experience was just a blip so I went ahead. What a mistake that was....

In what has turned out to be an almost farcical round of appointments, that have had to be cancelled, confusing texts and awful customer service, I have had to complain again. In then took nearly two weeks for them the respond to the complaint with an apology for the delay. 2 more weeks have passed since, still nothing.

I do understand that the same engineers who do the repairs also do the servicing and that sometimes they do have to move appoinments. But when you ring to arrange a new appoinment, the agent actually told me she cannot check for available dates, I had to suggest a date which she would then put into the system. Then I would get a text to either confirm or accept this date. In other words we have a play a kind of crazy cat and mouse game where I guess a date and I get a text to say whether I have won or not!

So I asked why can't you look at the current appoinments calendar but she didn't have access to that, I know not why.....

In the end I pushed her to give me a firm date and she went away and told me that if I chose a date in early April that should be fine. So I did.

Then a few weeks later, I recieved a text saying the dates I had chosen were not available despite being at least 6 weeks away.

I have serious doubts about this company and its ability to make, and keep, appointments and will certainly not be renewing the contract this year. What is worse is that throughout this my boiler has been working perfectly but if it breaks, will they be able to fix it or, for that matter, even be able to make an appoinment they can keep? It seems not.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Is this the same as the SSE boiler cover,

my tenant called to say the boiler had a small ' drip' so I called my usual plumber who couldn't get there quickly so I rang SSE and signed up for their boiler cover. I was told an engineer would call and be at site within 2 hours. Perfect I thought only for the tenant to say yes he had called within 2 hours but wouldn't visit until the next evening. He did ring back 4hours later to say a job had cancelled and he could come along.

Ok, the upshot is he said he's done a repair which would last a month and then the boiler would need replacing ? . The boiler is 10 yrs old so not ancient and has a safety certificate and service once a year.

No more information. No explanation as to what was wrong or if it was a leaky valve etc.

Anyway my usual plumber is going in to see whats what and I wish I'd never bothered with this supposed cover.,
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    1364/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 90/365
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 12th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    No I don't think they are the same but they sound as bad! SSE (Scottish and Southern Energy) and Scottish Power are separate companies, so I understand but maybe they do pool resources for boiler care.
    • Ron Bowden
    • By Ron Bowden 15th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ron Bowden
    In the Words of Jim Diamond.......
    'Well I should have known better'

A couple of years ago I posted on this forum about the totally inept service provided by Scottish Power. At that time I stated I would be leaving their scheme but, human nature being what it is, I never got around to it and it has come back to bite me big time so here is my advice to anyone who has or are considering taking out their boiler cover.

To anybody out there who has their boiler and heater cover provided by Scottish Power and currently have a working system then change to another provider FAST. I guarantee that if you are one of their customers and suffer a breakdown you WILL live to regret it.

I won't bore you all with all the details but I have now been without heating and hot water for 14 days with no end to it in sight. An engineer was supposed to visit me last Thursday and when he didn't arrive I was informed that somebody their end rescheduled for the following day and had not bothered to inform me.

Mine is not an isolated case. A search of social media shows that there are literally hundreds of complaints - some far more serious than my own. Have a look at Scottish Power Name and Shame and their own FB page for comments to their own, unrelated, posts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

2,396Users online

Martin's Twitter