Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 10th Feb 12, 5:17 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    What sort of chimney do you have ?
    Where in the country are you ?
    Do you have special circumstances (bends - short pots not reaching the ridge height - down draughts from trees, hills, neighbouring higher buildings etc.) ?

Have you inspected your chimney breast as far as you can - I found a hole in mine stuffed with wall paper!

Your price sound expensive even for a stainless steel liner.
    [What do I know, I live in a bungalow.]

There is another technique involving a big blow up "sausage dog" balloon for chimneys of dubious quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaHK9CMTP4&feature=related
    • vaderag
    • By vaderag 10th Feb 12, 5:27 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    vaderag
    What sort of chimney do you have ?
    Where in the country are you ?
    Do you have special circumstances (bends - short pots not reaching the ridge height - down draughts from trees, hills, neighbouring higher buildings etc.) ?

Have you inspected your chimney breast as far as you can - I found a hole in mine stuffed with wall paper!

Your price sound expensive even for a stainless steel liner.
    [What do I know, I live in a bungalow.]

There is another technique involving a big blow up "sausage dog" balloon for chimneys of dubious quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaHK9CMTP4&feature=related
    Originally posted by John_Pierpoint
    Brick chimney, Bexleyheath, No particularaly special circumstances although there are bends due fires on other floors...

Basically, Flue replacement is out... just too expensive...
  • squirt it
    heat output bio ethanol fires
    Heat output is dependant on the size of the firebox burner with bio ethanol fireplace. The larger the flame the more heat output.

I have seen the site firebox uk have some large built in fires which can reach up to 10kw in heat output.
    • vaderag
    • By vaderag 30th Jan 13, 3:51 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    vaderag
    Incidentally, since I just saw this reawakened, we got the bioethanol fire and it's superb. We went for a magiflame branded one and I cant fault it... gives out lots of heat, warms the room, and looks great.
  • Ruination
    Will let you know , we just bought one from ebay
    • elitejace
    • By elitejace 24th Nov 15, 11:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elitejace
    sorry to bring up an old thread but if anyone has purchased these fires would anyone know the best places to get bioethanol from or is there a cheaper alternative available?
    • stalkah
    • By stalkah 28th Nov 15, 8:47 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    stalkah
    Elitejace did you find anywhere that sells it cheap enough?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

704Posts Today

4,480Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin