Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Is it worth paying 50 to have a pair of boots re... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is it worth paying 50 to have a pair of boots re healed and soled?
Views: 4,599
# 1
Moneybot
Old 06-12-2010, 1:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Is it worth paying 50 to have a pair of boots re healed and soled?

I have a pair of black Timberland boots which I love and have had for ages. The heals have worn down and when I took them to a heal bar to have them re healed I was advised it wasn't worth having them just healed as the soles are getting thin too and to do both would be 50.

So should I have them done or just go for a new pair?
Three rules of fascism:-
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
Eddie Izzard for mayor of London 2020
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneybot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
BitterAndTwisted
Old 06-12-2010, 2:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Depends on the price of a new pair of boots. If they cost 70 new then a 50 repair wouldn't be worth it to me but if they were over 100 then it would.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
saveabobortwo
Old 06-12-2010, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default if you really like them

then have them rehealed but sales on soon may be able to get brand new pair of boots i like ides of nice new boots
The Following User Says Thank You to saveabobortwo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ruthber
Old 06-12-2010, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That sounds very expensive to me. Clarks are having a sale on at the moment, look on their website they probably have new boots in that price range.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruthber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Bronnie
Old 06-12-2010, 2:19 PM

Can you find an old fashioned cobblers instead of a heel bar and get a price from them ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bronnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
rachbc
Old 06-12-2010, 2:21 PM

My fav boots cost 20 to be re heeled, soled and zip fixed by a proper cobbler so I say worth shopping around...though obv the soles might be different 50 does seem like a lot to me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachbc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Moneybot
Old 06-12-2010, 2:59 PM

Thank you for all your replies. I think I will see if I can find a cobbler to give me a quote for the repairs it might be the type of sole which makes it expensive i don't know. If it is still that much I will wait for the sales, would like another Timberland pair this pair have lasted years and have been really comfortable.
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
# 8
LJM
Old 06-12-2010, 4:37 PM

Location: in a very happy place with the most fantastic family

that sounds quite a high price ive just paid 15 to get mine rehealed which were a pair of clarks boots ive had for 7 years which cost over 100 at the time so i guess 15 didnt seem too much if they can keep me going a while longer. ask around for diff quotes
Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
The Following User Says Thank You to LJM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dogstarheaven
Old 06-12-2010, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i think 50 is overpriced for a re-heeling job. at the v. old-fashioned cobblers i use (Fosters, Bulwell in Nottingham) they are extremely cheap for their bag repairs. i've had zips, straps etc., done for less than a few quid. so if you're anywhere near me then it's worth trying them out. You must have gone to a chain, or a fancy one for them to charge you so much. surely, you can wait til the Jan sales and find something similar. Timberlands are v good quality so i'm sure you want to 'save' them, just shop around for the best quote.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogstarheaven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
gatita
Old 06-12-2010, 4:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Probably won't help you if you want them done quickly, but I took some shoes I needed heeling to a cobbler in Spain and was staggered at the difference in price!! just 4 euros!!
Iwas quoted 16 here.
When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatita For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Moneybot
Old 06-12-2010, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatita View Post
Probably won't help you if you want them done quickly, but I took some shoes I needed heeling to a cobbler in Spain and was staggered at the difference in price!! just 4 euros!!
Iwas quoted 16 here.
Actually I love the idea of popping to Spain to get my boots repaired not sure how I'm going to convince OH
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
# 12
gatita
Old 06-12-2010, 5:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

It would be well worth it!! lol lol
When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatita For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
milliemonster
Old 06-12-2010, 5:27 PM

Actually to repair proper walking boots and resole is expensive, my hubby had a pair of asolo's where the stitching had come away and a full repair including resoling was going to cost 125, this was at an 'old fashioned cobblers', Timberlands I should imagine have thick soles and to repair them properly and make them waterproof I should imagine will cost around 50 (not that I am an expert cobbler though!!)

Have a look at M&M Direct, they have timberlands in the sale at the minute for around 50 I think, I wouldn't bother repairing them when you can get some new ones at this price http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductLi...mberland+boots
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milliemonster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
jcr16
Old 06-12-2010, 5:32 PM

it swings and round about's really. can u still buy them, if so how much. if you paid 50 to have the work done how long would they last 6 months or 6 years ?

i had some lush red leather ones. they need heal and sole and was gonna cost 19, i declined it as the boots only cost a tenner in the sale previous yr. But i had some stilieo boots which cost me 50 when new and the repair them was 4.50 and gave me a couple of years extra life from them.
Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
The Following User Says Thank You to jcr16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Wesker
Old 06-12-2010, 6:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have heard that you can send them back to Timberlands and they will do it for you. Dont know how much tho.
Errrr...come back later
The Following User Says Thank You to Wesker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Moneybot
Old 06-12-2010, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemonster View Post
Actually to repair proper walking boots and resole is expensive, my hubby had a pair of asolo's where the stitching had come away and a full repair including resoling was going to cost 125, this was at an 'old fashioned cobblers', Timberlands I should imagine have thick soles and to repair them properly and make them waterproof I should imagine will cost around 50 (not that I am an expert cobbler though!!)

Have a look at M&M Direct, they have timberlands in the sale at the minute for around 50 I think, I wouldn't bother repairing them when you can get some new ones at this price http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductLi...mberland+boots
Thanks but these are short boots I was looking for tall women's boots (that's the boots that are tall btw)
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
# 17
Linda32
Old 06-12-2010, 7:58 PM

No idea on the price, apart from to say, I'd shop around then I'd have them done if its really worth it. Say if a new pair were over 100.00

A good pair of boots are worth it in the long run if you'ed wear them for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Linda32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
annie123
Old 06-12-2010, 8:39 PM

Location: In a tropical paradise in my head but in reality, London!

I'd get a 2nd quote.
My son paid 25 to have his Caterpillar safety boots resoled last year, and here in London prices aren't cheap.

To give as a comparison, the same places charges me 3.50 for court shoe new heels or soles, and 1 to stitch the tongue back on my fav flat shoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to annie123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>