Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 6th Dec 10, 1:39 PM
    • 4,382Posts
    • 120,432Thanks
    Moneybot
    Is it worth paying £50 to have a pair of boots re healed and soled?
    • 6th Dec 10, 1:39 PM
    Is it worth paying £50 to have a pair of boots re healed and soled? 6th Dec 10 at 1:39 PM
    I have a pair of black Timberland boots which I love and have had for ages. The heals have worn down and when I took them to a heal bar to have them re healed I was advised it wasn't worth having them just healed as the soles are getting thin too and to do both would be £50.

So should I have them done or just go for a new pair?
    This signature [is] intentionally left blank.

Do not write here.
Page 1
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:16 PM
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:16 PM
    Depends on the price of a new pair of boots. If they cost £70 new then a £50 repair wouldn't be worth it to me but if they were over £100 then it would.
  • saveabobortwo
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:18 PM
    if you really like them
    then have them rehealed but sales on soon may be able to get brand new pair of boots i like ides of nice new boots
    • ruthber
    • By ruthber 6th Dec 10, 2:18 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    ruthber
    That sounds very expensive to me. Clarks are having a sale on at the moment, look on their website they probably have new boots in that price range.
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 6th Dec 10, 2:19 PM
    • 4,088 Posts
    • 11,489 Thanks
    Bronnie
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:19 PM
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:19 PM
    Can you find an old fashioned cobblers instead of a heel bar and get a price from them ?
  • rachbc
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:21 PM
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:21 PM
    My fav boots cost £20 to be re heeled, soled and zip fixed by a proper cobbler so I say worth shopping around...though obv the soles might be different £50 does seem like a lot to me
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 6th Dec 10, 2:59 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 120,432 Thanks
    Moneybot
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:59 PM
    • 6th Dec 10, 2:59 PM
    Thank you for all your replies. I think I will see if I can find a cobbler to give me a quote for the repairs it might be the type of sole which makes it expensive i don't know. If it is still that much I will wait for the sales, would like another Timberland pair this pair have lasted years and have been really comfortable.

Do not write here.
  • LJM
    • 6th Dec 10, 4:37 PM
    • 6th Dec 10, 4:37 PM
    that sounds quite a high price ive just paid £15 to get mine rehealed which were a pair of clarks boots ive had for 7 years which cost over £100 at the time so i guess £15 didnt seem too much if they can keep me going a while longer. ask around for diff quotes
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
    • dogstarheaven
    • By dogstarheaven 6th Dec 10, 4:45 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    dogstarheaven
    • 6th Dec 10, 4:45 PM
    • 6th Dec 10, 4:45 PM
    i think £50 is overpriced for a re-heeling job. at the v. old-fashioned cobblers i use (Fosters, Bulwell in Nottingham) they are extremely cheap for their bag repairs. i've had zips, straps etc., done for less than a few quid. so if you're anywhere near me then it's worth trying them out. You must have gone to a chain, or a fancy one for them to charge you so much. surely, you can wait til the Jan sales and find something similar. Timberlands are v good quality so i'm sure you want to 'save' them, just shop around for the best quote.
    • gatita
    • By gatita 6th Dec 10, 4:57 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    gatita
    Probably won't help you if you want them done quickly, but I took some shoes I needed heeling to a cobbler in Spain and was staggered at the difference in price!! just 4 euros!!
    Iwas quoted £16 here.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 6th Dec 10, 5:09 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 120,432 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Probably won't help you if you want them done quickly, but I took some shoes I needed heeling to a cobbler in Spain and was staggered at the difference in price!! just 4 euros!!
    Iwas quoted £16 here.
    Originally posted by gatita
    Actually I love the idea of popping to Spain to get my boots repaired not sure how I'm going to convince OH

Do not write here.
    • gatita
    • By gatita 6th Dec 10, 5:23 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    gatita
    It would be well worth it!! lol lol
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 6th Dec 10, 5:27 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    milliemonster
    Actually to repair proper walking boots and resole is expensive, my hubby had a pair of asolo's where the stitching had come away and a full repair including resoling was going to cost £125, this was at an 'old fashioned cobblers', Timberlands I should imagine have thick soles and to repair them properly and make them waterproof I should imagine will cost around £50 (not that I am an expert cobbler though!!)

Have a look at M&M Direct, they have timberlands in the sale at the minute for around £50 I think, I wouldn't bother repairing them when you can get some new ones at this price http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.aspx?Search=timberland+boots
  • jcr16
    it swings and round about's really. can u still buy them, if so how much. if you paid £50 to have the work done how long would they last 6 months or 6 years ?

i had some lush red leather ones. they need heal and sole and was gonna cost £19, i declined it as the boots only cost a tenner in the sale previous yr. But i had some stilieo boots which cost me £50 when new and the repair them was £4.50 and gave me a couple of years extra life from them.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Wesker
    • By Wesker 6th Dec 10, 6:08 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    Wesker
    I have heard that you can send them back to Timberlands and they will do it for you. Dont know how much tho.
    Errrr...come back later
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 6th Dec 10, 7:30 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 120,432 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Actually to repair proper walking boots and resole is expensive, my hubby had a pair of asolo's where the stitching had come away and a full repair including resoling was going to cost £125, this was at an 'old fashioned cobblers', Timberlands I should imagine have thick soles and to repair them properly and make them waterproof I should imagine will cost around £50 (not that I am an expert cobbler though!!)

Have a look at M&M Direct, they have timberlands in the sale at the minute for around £50 I think, I wouldn't bother repairing them when you can get some new ones at this price http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.aspx?Search=timberland+boots
    Originally posted by milliemonster
    Thanks but these are short boots I was looking for tall women's boots (that's the boots that are tall btw)

Do not write here.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 6th Dec 10, 7:58 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 8,799 Thanks
    Linda32
    No idea on the price, apart from to say, I'd shop around then I'd have them done if its really worth it. Say if a new pair were over £100.00

A good pair of boots are worth it in the long run if you'ed wear them for years.
  • annie123
    I'd get a 2nd quote.
    My son paid £25 to have his Caterpillar safety boots resoled last year, and here in London prices aren't cheap.

To give as a comparison, the same places charges me £3.50 for court shoe new heels or soles, and £1 to stitch the tongue back on my fav flat shoes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,397Users online

Martin's Twitter