Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Noctu
    • By Noctu 25th Oct 06, 8:38 PM
    • 1,470Posts
    • 1,667Thanks
    Good knives?
    • 25th Oct 06, 8:38 PM
    Good knives? 25th Oct 06 at 8:38 PM
    Hi everyone,
    For years I've gone through the catch 22 of buying a set of cheap chef's knives, only to have them go blunt.. then sharpening them, but then they only stay sharp for one meal's chopping..! So I buy a new set, and it starts again!

What are the "best" knives to buy? Currently I have some Viners knives, I don't know if they're meant to be good or not.. but they have serrated edges so I'm not even sure if I can sharpen them, if you know what I mean...

I see chefs on the TV effortlessly chopping through onions, chicken etc and I want to know how!! I wouldn't mind splashing out on an expensive set if they'll last me a good few years without sharpening them all the time...

Page 6
    • annie_d
    • By annie_d 31st Dec 12, 9:04 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    Most definitely Kajiro if you have a LOT of money. After that Chroma knives are amazing too
    • Possession
    • By Possession 31st Dec 12, 10:32 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    I agree, you need to test some out to see how they feel in your hand. I have a set of Global knives DH bought me years ago and I love them, they were right for me.

• Pont
    • By Pont 1st Jan 13, 12:33 AM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    I love these Ikea knives - they feel really good in my hand iyswim. One shown here:-
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 1st Jan 13, 12:38 AM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 26,806 Thanks
    My Christmas pressie this year was a set of Scanpan classic knives. I'd repeat the idea though that it's important for you to hold them first, the feel and balance of a knife in the hand is what makes it a good knife for you. Any knife above a certain price will be sharp enough to do the work, but it needs to be comfortable for you to use.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • empressemma
    • By empressemma 1st Jan 13, 10:16 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    We bought a set if viners kitchen knives just before we got married about 12 years ago, they were in Boyes, I think they were an end of line product. Anyway, we got a set of 5, plus the knife block for £40. There're still just as good and sharp now as when we bought them! So keep an eye on shops such as Boyes for good brands end of line clearence. Or even the viners website has a sale section...
  • Little Vics
    we've got some sabatier knives from TK Maxx just before Christmas. They are very good.
    • sophlowe45
    • By sophlowe45 9th Apr 13, 1:20 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    New knives needed
    I need to buy new knives, I need a bread knife and a general knife for cutting vegetables and fish, not sure if I need any others.

Can anyone recommend any knives? I want to keep them for a long time.
    • redfragglebiker
    • By redfragglebiker 9th Apr 13, 8:48 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    They are expensive but I would recommend wither Sabatier or Global. MY OH prefers the weight of the Sabatier whilst I find them too heavy and prefer Global knives. They are a lot of money but if you see them as an investment that will last they are worth it. I've had my global knives for over 8 years now and they're still fantastic. One thing I would say is that if you're not confident in sharpening with a steel invest in a good knife sharpener too.
    Everyone has a dark side... apparently mine is called Harold?!?
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th Apr 13, 9:31 AM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    I need to buy new knives, I need a bread knife and a general knife for cutting vegetables and fish, not sure if I need any others.

Can anyone recommend any knives? I want to keep them for a long time.
    Originally posted by sophlowe45
    I've added your post to our main thread on buying knives where you'll find lots of recommendations.

• room512
    • By room512 9th Apr 13, 9:53 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    I have a set of Sabatier knives but I also bought some of these a little while ago from Amazon. They're great - equally as good as my other knives and far cheaper. When I bought them they were £10.50 so might be worth keeping an eye on the price.
    • sophlowe45
    • By sophlowe45 9th Apr 13, 10:01 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Thank you could not find this thread through the search function, hence starting a new one.

Sabatier knives it is then, i have will have a look at some of the other links before ordering too.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Apr 13, 10:42 AM
    • 17,124 Posts
    • 38,928 Thanks
    Definitley have a look at TM Maxx/Homesense, they always have them in there at good prices.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Apr 13, 12:30 PM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    I've used Zwilling Four star knives for many years.

I find them really well balanced and comfortable. They aren't very cheap but I don't foresee ever having to replace them.
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 9th Apr 13, 1:36 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks

I'd strongly recommend going into a decent cook shop and actually handle a few knives and find out what's best for you. You don't need a full set veg knife, cooks knife, bread knife & carving knife is all you need.
    I have an old set of Richardson of Sheffield which I love and I was bought a set of sabatier which I don't like.
    Knives are a very personal thing and so will depend on what suits you.

• sophlowe45
    • By sophlowe45 9th Apr 13, 6:51 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Veg knife, cooks knife, carving knife that sounds like a full set to me.

I ordered and have received a Sabatier all purpose knife hoping it would work for everything. I will try it out this evening. (Travelling to the nearest department store(s) to look at the knives in person is not possible time wise unfortunately).

I've probably paid for the name Sabatier as its Sabatier Trompette® from Richardson Sheffield (made in China, one of the links in earlier pages said to avoid knives made in China). I'm sure its still much better than any knives I have at the moment.

I've been reading the thread backwards and did not realise that a glass cutting board made knives blunt, so I need to get a new chopping board and a knife sharpener I thought glass was the best as it doesn't get scratched.
    Last edited by sophlowe45; 09-04-2013 at 7:33 PM.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Apr 13, 7:10 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    I borrowed a professional chef's knife a while ago and couldn't believe how effortlessly and cleanly it sliced through raw meat. Turns out it was a ceramic knife. Since then I have been slowly (VERY slowly, they are expensive,) been buying one at a time from L*k*l*nd. I have quite a collection now and they are superb.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Apr 13, 7:24 PM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    There's no substitute for keeping your knives sharp

I run mine down a steel every day to keep them properly sharp
    • sophlowe45
    • By sophlowe45 9th Apr 13, 8:10 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Wow what a difference, i made sure to cut on a plate, not on the glass cutting board. Cheap really does seem to be a false economy.

Ordered a non glass cutting board too.
    Last edited by sophlowe45; 10-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,845Users online

Martin's Twitter