Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mooch
    • By mooch 4th Dec 10, 1:30 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 27Thanks
    mooch
    Bank Card Readers - all the same?
    • 4th Dec 10, 1:30 PM
    Bank Card Readers - all the same? 4th Dec 10 at 1:30 PM
    I've amassed quite a collection of these bank card readers but have only just discovered today that you can use some (or is it all?) bank cards in any reader.

Thought it might be useful info to anyone else like me who has lost a reader or just doesn't want to be messing around with lots of them.
Page 1
    • Loughton Monkey
    • By Loughton Monkey 4th Dec 10, 4:47 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    Loughton Monkey
    • 4th Dec 10, 4:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 4:47 PM
    Interesting.

I have a Barclays one. THought I'd try other cards in it:

First Direct: Fine
    Lloyds: Fine
    Halifax: Fine
    Santander: "This Card is Not Valid".

Intelligent reader wouldn't you say?
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 4th Dec 10, 4:55 PM
    • 10,432 Posts
    • 8,422 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 4th Dec 10, 4:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 4:55 PM
    Interesting.

Originally posted by Loughton Monkey
    Latest JD Power survey - Santander bottom of class for service for 3rd year running. Card reader must be wise to it!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • novice-saver
    • 4th Dec 10, 5:05 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 5:05 PM
    IMHO, the card readers may be a bit more subtle than that.

although the technology is shared by several of the banks (for instance a Natwest card is recognised by a Nationwide labelled reader) try authorising a transaction with the "wrong" reader.

or if you want a worry, google "optimised to fail" and read the (2meg) academic paper.
  • Sceptic001
    • 4th Dec 10, 5:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 5:19 PM
    Interesting.

Which Santander accounts use a card reader? I have never required one for a Santander current or savings account.
    • Amba_Gambla
    • By Amba_Gambla 4th Dec 10, 5:26 PM
    • 11,741 Posts
    • 3,692 Thanks
    Amba_Gambla
    • 4th Dec 10, 5:26 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 5:26 PM
    Gah, these things are horrible. If my bank ever send me one, I'm closing the account and moving elsewhere
    Only fools run rapids, say the Indians, but I know this:
    as long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes and a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run"

Sigurd Olson
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Dec 10, 8:35 PM
    • 35,965 Posts
    • 39,303 Thanks
    G_M
    • 4th Dec 10, 8:35 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 8:35 PM
    A very efficient extra security device.

Nat West, Tesco and Nationwide are interchangeable. Of course when putting another card in you need the appropriate PIN......
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 4th Dec 10, 8:39 PM
    • 13,669 Posts
    • 58,528 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 4th Dec 10, 8:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 8:39 PM
    I have a Co Op card reader.

I thought they were personal to you as you have to put your PIN number in and didn't think your PIN was stored on your card.
    • Loughton Monkey
    • By Loughton Monkey 4th Dec 10, 11:32 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    Loughton Monkey
    • 4th Dec 10, 11:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 10, 11:32 PM

I thought they were personal to you as you have to put your PIN number in and didn't think your PIN was stored on your card.
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    It has to be, because when you insert the card into a shop reader, only over a certain amount does it electronically go to the main computer for authorisation.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Dec 10, 9:52 AM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 4,232 Thanks
    Biggles
    although the technology is shared by several of the banks (for instance a Natwest card is recognised by a Nationwide labelled reader) try authorising a transaction with the "wrong" reader.
    Originally posted by novice-saver
    It's not a problem authorising a Co-op payment with a Nationwide reader (or, indeed, authorising a Nationwide payment with someone else's NW reader).
  • asc99c
    It has to be, because when you insert the card into a shop reader, only over a certain amount does it electronically go to the main computer for authorisation.
    Also, when you enter your PIN, it is validated or rejected immediately, while the rest of the transaction tends to take a lot longer as it goes off to the bank.
    • marvin
    • By marvin 5th Dec 10, 10:18 AM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    marvin
    This is an item that rather makes internet banking pointless as you need it and your card with you if you want to do anything. Can't see your average Iphone user having one too hand although Apple will probably build on in soon!

I have the NW with this and I have taken the strategy of having several of their card readers everywhere on in the car one at work etc. Good job the NW is mainly used for putting money in so others can steal it (Power co's, local council, insurence co's etc) so affects me little but if I want to move money it is a pain.

Good to know others work with others cards but why have them in the first place I think we need a student like protest against them.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
    • atypical
    • By atypical 5th Dec 10, 1:32 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    atypical

Originally posted by I luv cats
    Your PIN is stored on the chip on your card, hence 'chip and PIN'.

From the Co-Op FAQs:

"Q. I am led to believe that a chip-reader supplied by any bank or building society will work equally well. Could you confirm that this is the case?

Yes, it is possible to use other banksí Card Readers."
    "An economist is a surgeon with an excellent scalpel and a rough-edged lancet, who operates beautifully on the dead and tortures the living." - Nicholas Chamfort
  • alwaysmakingamess
    Hi,

In the UK, the PIN is stored on the card in an encrypted form. This allows the sales devices in shops etc to validate the card before dialling up the bank for monetary authorisation.
    It works differently when the card is used in an ATM; the machine sends the encrypted PIN to the bank who then make the decision.

This is why you can change your PIN in a ATM but not a shop, as the bank can synchronise the PIN in the card with the master one at the bank.

Cheers

Darren
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

4,192Users online

Martin's Twitter