Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • yelf
    • By yelf 29th Nov 10, 7:19 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    • #2
    • 29th Nov 10, 7:19 PM
    • #2
    • 29th Nov 10, 7:19 PM
    Well redundancy pax is taxed as earbed income so i dont see why not. All you need to do is write a cheque wilth an additional contribution form, and send it to your pension provider.
    • mrschaucer
    • By mrschaucer 29th Nov 10, 7:26 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    • #3
    • 29th Nov 10, 7:26 PM
    • #3
    • 29th Nov 10, 7:26 PM
    You definitely used to be able to do this - going back to when I was working in an HR dept - so (unless the rules have changed) talk to the fim making you redundant to give them a heads up. They should be able to advise how it's done.
    • Loughton Monkey
    • By Loughton Monkey 29th Nov 10, 9:11 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    Loughton Monkey
    • #4
    • 29th Nov 10, 9:11 PM
    • #4
    • 29th Nov 10, 9:11 PM
    First of all, you need to know your total taxable earnings for this tax year (assuming redundancy occurred this tax year). Only then can you calculate the maximum 'efficient' contributions that will attract the maximum tax relief. Would be pointless to calculate it based on tax paid so far - because assuming the worst (no further income) you would be entitled to a tax rebate - and negate some of the pension contributions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,107Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

  • Ugh another one trying it! Beware

  • Follow Martin