Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 18th Nov 10, 3:29 PM
    • 514Posts
    • 1,626Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Sorting through my rubbish
    • 18th Nov 10, 3:29 PM
    Sorting through my rubbish 18th Nov 10 at 3:29 PM
    I have been lurking on this website for a few years now, mainly reading threads and posting occassionally. Started PADding (twice) and stopped (twice!). Avide fan of the OS threads - all hail the Stardrops

I have managed, mainly through being a shopaholic and a hoarder, to get myself in a real pickle both financially and in the house. My home is bulging at the seams with my possessions as well as those of my 3 kids, DH and our large dog! Something has got to give.

I have started the great declutter, many bags have already gone to the charity shop, some to the tip and lots of stuff ebayed but there is lots more to go through. I need the space in the loft so that eventually DS1 can move up there, but first I need the money from ebaying stuff to help clear debts so that I can fund the necessary building work.

And so it begins...my diary...2011 is the year I am going to attempt to clear my loft and one of my cc debts (the one with highest interest rate - I have been snowballing!). Going to keep grocery expenses to minimum, thankfully I am quite adept at making meals from what is whoopsied or on offer and the family are not really fussy eaters. Resist buying new toiletteries etc (bathroom cabinets are already groaning) and I don't really need new clothes or shoes and will keep to a minimum what I buy for the kids.

Anyone who wants to join me for the ride please feel free, I am sure it will be a bit of a roller coaster - my life usually isand any tips/advice gratefully accepted.

Wish me luck

REPAYMENT PLAN
    Halifax £nil - closed MBNA 0% £nil - closed
    Nationwide £nil - closed Lloyds £nil - closed
    NATWEST £5950 £1200
    HSCB CC £nil
    LOAN £14000 - DFD September 2022
Page 26
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 4th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All!

Hope everyone is well, lots of colds doing the rounds here which I am doing my best to avoid!

Trixie, you are so right about not being able to put a price on time and no matter how much extra we earn it seems to disappear just as fast. I have just turned down a £6k pay rise as I didn't want the job (internal promotion), hadn't applied for it for that reason but was offered it anyway, the extra money would have been nice but my heart wouldn't have been in it and I know i would have been stressed to the gills with it. Plus, I really would like to drop a day a week in the next 12/18 months. Oh and yes, very excited about first DGC!!!

DH has sorted his finances and made a start in repaying the money he has frittered, shame he is having to repay instead of building the savings pot!!!

I think we need to sit down and look at the household budget, energy saving etc as I've not noticed much difference yet in the amount we are spending and I thought with DS2 leaving for Uni I would have saved more. I've just attended an Energy Saving seminar so have a few things I need to check about our new home.

I have also asked DH to address our diet, since he has been home and doing most of the cooking I seem to have put on almost a stone I think this is a combination of what he is cooking and the portion sizes which are totally out of whack, plus he is a devil for puddings and snacks in the evening, the odd chocolate bar, popcorn etc. I was moritifed when I got on the scales this morning!

Anyway off to do some work now, have a great day all

321 xxx

REPAYMENT PLAN
    NATWEST £5950 £1200
    HSCB CC £nil
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 9th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Hope you all had a nice relaxed weekend, I certainly did. Got a bit more of the garden sorted with DH, it is looking so different from when we moved in!

Bought very little in the way of food this weekend. We went to B-i-L's for dinner on Saturday, took a bottle of wine with us and I made Puttenesca yesterday from stocks so a pretty frugal weekend. DH is well into making our bread now, with only three of us at home a small loaf lasts us several days (gone are the days of a loaf a day!) and even DD really likes his homemade concoctions! We have been taking advantage of Lidl's good weekend deals on wine, buying a case a time which will either make nice Christmas pressies for friends or be kept by us for the fesitive period and any entertaining we do.

I am finding small pleasures in using things that we all ready have rather than buying more, I lit some pumpkin spiced candles last night and enjoyed a mini facial using up some of my products. I sorted through my wardrobe and packed away my summer clothes and dug out the winter things, I'm actually looking forward to warm tights and boots!! Tonight I plan a nice, hot, bubbly bath and then will redo my nails.

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    NATWEST £5950 £1200
    HSCB CC £nil
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 13th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Happy Friday, I'm on call this weekend so may not get much of a break but at least I won't be in the office, I plan to chill and watch some films with my daughter. It will be a particularly frugal weekend as not worth even trying to go anywhere or do anything as the phone is bound to ring!

Been managing the food budget, using up things we already have, had a gammon joint, eggs and homemade chips on wednesday night (all in the fridge and all needed using), then yesterday used up the rest of the gammon in a quiche, jacket potatoes and veg from the freezer. Tonight will be chicken breasts from the freezer, cooked in one of those seasoning cook in the bag jobs (reduced to 15p) with the last of the spuds and more frozen veg, small food shop tomorrow for the weekend. Saturday will probably be pizza and garlic bread from the freezer and a mini roast on Sunday as we have some joints from Iceland and can get a few veg and yorkshire pud to go with it.

I've just checked my Experian and despite my taking out the loan and messing about with quotes etc my score has only dropped by 16 points and is still in the high excellent range so I am happy with that. Need to make sure a couple of the credit card accounts are closed off so hopefully will go back up again next month.

I've been enjoying my pampering, using the products I all ready have, face masks, moisturisers, serums, body butters etc, makes me feel better and ensures none of these lovely things go to waste.

DS2 will be back the end of next week so that will mean more food etc but will be lovely to have him home again for a week, he is loving Uni and has adjusted well to city life.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, see you on the other side!!

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    NATWEST £5950 £1200
    HSCB CC £nil
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 16th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

As predicted ours was very chilled. Visited a friend on saturday morning and on Sunday we were child free so treated ourselves to breakfast out, got a few bits of groceries and then pottered about at home. The oncall phone was thankfully very quiet.

We had the pizzas out of the freezer for dinner on Saturday, lunch was just some homemade bread with some lovely Crunchy Cheddar. Sunday due to having breakfast out we didnt have any lunch and as it was just the two of us I knocked up a quick Cottage Pie for dinner with ingredients from the freezer, it was blooming lovely too!

Dinner tonight is bacon and mushroom pasta to use up some mushrooms from the fridge, tommorrows will probably be liver and bacon in the slow cooker as I am meeting a friend for drinks after work. Wednesday I have a study day so will make something nice then and hopefully have enough for Thursday as well as I have a late meeting in another town then. By Friday DS2 will be home so will probably make his favourite pasta bake, saturday may be pizzas again and then sunday we are having a big family roast.

DD visited my sister yesterday and came home with a bag of hand-me-downs from my nieces, she does very well out of them!

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    NATWEST £5950 £1200
    HSCB CC £nil
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,420Posts Today

6,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin