Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Buy a garage, or rent & how much to pay! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Buy a garage, or rent & how much to pay!
Closed Thread
Views: 2,795
# 1
vansboy
Old 16-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Buy a garage, or rent & how much to pay!

Hi All!

Got the chance to buy the garage we currently rent, its in a block, but right next to the house, here in Luton. It's in good condition 40yrs lease left.

Currently £10/week rent, (has been for years) now available for £6000 to buy. No real idea how much a garage is 'worth', obviously it depends on each persons value, but want any thoughts from you please!

Thanks in advance.

VB
# 2
HappyMJ
Old 16-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you have the £6,000 in cash and don't need to borrow and have no debts it then yes otherwise I'd just keep paying £10 per week. If you didn't have the money you would have to borrow it and it would cost more than £10/week in repayments.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
serious_saver
Old 16-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've done a little research in my local area as my brother is considering buying an off road parking space from a neighbour. He's looking pay about £5,000 but the going rate for a garage seems to be between £8,000 and 12,000 with the most expensive being towards the city centre. That being said, as you get closer to the city centre the houses tend to be smaller old terraces with terrible parking!

What condition is the garage in? Buying the garage would mean you aren't at risk of an increase in rent but you would become liable for maintainance costs. However you will get a say in what happens to the block.
The Following User Says Thank You to serious_saver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
lincroft1710
Old 16-11-2010, 4:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to lincroft1710

If you plan on staying in the house for more than 12 yrs it may be worth buying as 12 x 52 x £10 = £6,240.
The Following User Says Thank You to lincroft1710 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
PasturesNew
Old 16-11-2010, 4:17 PM

It's absolutely worth £6k. I've very very very rarely seen a random garage anywhere for less than £10k - and that one's right next to your house.

Buy it!
The Following User Says Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mark5
Old 16-11-2010, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It sounds like a good price to me and your in a more expensive part of the country.
The Following User Says Thank You to mark5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Doozergirl
Old 16-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Hello you

Best way to work it is off the acheivable rent if you were to let it out yourself in the future.

Yield works out at 8.66% at £10 per week. Which isn't bad at all. The condition comes into it, obviously. Would be really nice if it were closer to 10% - £5200 but a potential 8.66% is much better than a smack on the bum!
Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doozergirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread