Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 2nd Nov 10, 4:41 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Telecoms credit reclaiming. Guide discussion
    • 2nd Nov 10, 4:41 PM
    Telecoms credit reclaiming. Guide discussion 2nd Nov 10 at 4:41 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following guide:

Telecoms credit reclaiming

Please add any comments below.
Page 5
    • S t e v e
    • By S t e v e 7th Jul 15, 7:40 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    S t e v e
    FAMILY MOBILE have been taken over by Timico. Timico are stopping the mobile phone service - and yet say they will not refund unused credit. How can they stop a service and hold on to the money paid in advance by customers?
    Originally posted by kidnormal
    The email I just got with my PAC codes said:

"after the Coms Mobile service is closed on 31st August we will publish details of how to apply to Timico for any outstanding balance to be credited back to you."

So maybe they have changed their minds.
    Steve
    • Xena82
    • By Xena82 9th Dec 15, 5:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Xena82
    My mum and I have been with O2 for 15+ years and it's only due to buying a new handset that we have realized that O2 have been charging us for 2 tariffs since 2009... I used to pay £10 a month but then years ago we were told the tariff we had was no longer available and we would have to top up £10 and £5 would be taken a month for our allowance but recently we've been getting messages that have confused us. When we top up £10 we get a text saying 'you now have 300 texts and 500mb data' but then a few days after get a message after the £5 is taken to say thank you you now have 1000 texts and 500mb data but we haven't agreed to this and have worked out 02 have taken over £360 unauthourized my me and my mum, does any one know if I have a case to claim it back.
    • Meg Learner
    • By Meg Learner 31st Aug 16, 1:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Meg Learner
    My mum and I have been with O2 for 15+ years and it's only due to buying a new handset that we have realized that O2 have been charging us for 2 tariffs since 2009... I used to pay £10 a month but then years ago we were told the tariff we had was no longer available and we would have to top up £10 and £5 would be taken a month for our allowance but recently we've been getting messages that have confused us. When we top up £10 we get a text saying 'you now have 300 texts and 500mb data' but then a few days after get a message after the £5 is taken to say thank you you now have 1000 texts and 500mb data but we haven't agreed to this and have worked out 02 have taken over £360 unauthourized my me and my mum, does any one know if I have a case to claim it back.
    Originally posted by Xena82
    Have you tried asking them for it back?
    • MaggsR
    • By MaggsR 18th Nov 16, 11:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MaggsR
    Yey! I have had two months line rental credited to my account at £39.00 per month - so a total of £78.00. Thank you !
    • Aymz1
    • By Aymz1 26th Jan 17, 5:35 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aymz1
    Unused credit
    I have just read about getting refund for unused credit i am just wondering if anyone knows if you can do it while your still in your contract or do you wait till the end of it. As i never use all my minutes and texts or internet. There is always over half left at the end of the month
    • Aymz1
    • By Aymz1 26th Jan 17, 5:36 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aymz1
    Also wondering if this just applies to phone contract or can reclaim on line rental and wifi aswell. I never use my landline phone.
    • freezeeh
    • By freezeeh 22nd Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    freezeeh
    Has anyone successfully received reimbursement of credit from Giffgaff?
    • robskillz
    • By robskillz 10th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    robskillz
    Using Remaining Pay as You Go Balance
    Yes it's a real shame that mobile phone networks won't refund pay-as-you-go credit. I had the same problem when I switched mobile provider and eventually ended up finding a charity with text-donation that was active who I could send my outstanding credit to, rather than leave the money in the coffers of Vodafone!

As it was such a pain to find a charity with active text donation for the particualar amount of credit I had left over I decided to set up a JustGiving page on behalf of Oxfam for the very purpose of helping people to donate their unused PAYG balance. A link to the page is here, with full instructions:
    http://www.justgiving.com/how-to-use-payg-credit

Hope that helps!
    Rob

Beware: Orange/EE do not pay back money credited to a PAYG account (as opposed to a monthly plan) even if you close it formally via PAC and transfer to a different provider. They will only transfer any credit to another EE/Orange account. If you do not have such an account or cannot use someone else's, they just brazenly steal the money. I think this is unfair, dishonest and counts as theft. It should not be allowed (maybe it isn't allowed??).

I tried reclaiming around £12 from Orange (EE) after closing my PAYG account & migrating to Family Mobile.I wrestled with unspeakably awful & unhelpful 'help' menus, any staff I contacted could not do anything as the account was closed (rather the whole point duh!) and so forth. Eventually, I filed a complaint for which there was a form on line (non-obvious, filed under Customer Relations).

That got me a phone call from a real human who could actually do something off the standard script. (wow!) She explained they did not refund on PAYG (not a proper credit but 'time' or something of the kind). Seems like a credit to me regardless of the exact contract. However, I could transfer the credit to another EE/Orange account - even a lowly PAYG one, just

So we got it transferred into my husband's Orange account which is better than losing it.
    Originally posted by hilarygee
    • cinereus
    • By cinereus 20th Oct 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    cinereus
    Giffgaff say no refunds of unused credit - this has to be a massive money making scam for the phone companies and should be stopped
    Originally posted by spamfritters1
    Is that legally allowed?
    • Malcolm_E
    • By Malcolm_E 21st Nov 17, 1:46 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Malcolm_E
    If you're with gffgaff you're not 'Free to Go' as advertised
    MSE: Giffgaff has categorically refused to refund my credit. I argue that keeping any remaining credit is an effective charge for leaving. However, not only has Ofcom supported giffgaff's position, but even the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) seems to think that giffgaff's 'Free to Go' advertising is not misleading. Please complain to the ASA if you've had a similar experience and think the advertising is misleading.

If a bank kept all the money that happened to be in your account on the day you told them you wanted to change bank, would anyone consider that as being free to change bank account?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,335Users online

Martin's Twitter