Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 6
    • BankerwithaB
    • By BankerwithaB 5th Jan 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BankerwithaB
    Lloyds upgrade with companion voucher? Household account?
    Hi All,

Two questions please:

1) if you get a Lloyds card and use the upgrade, can you then use a companion voucher? Effectively upgrading two people return on the 7000 spend plus a companion voucher?

2) My mother has lots of points which she is happy to give to me. She does not currently live at my address. If she changed her address on Avios to match mine, and (after a while) we created a household account, could I spend her points? Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thank you!
    • lev441
    • By lev441 5th Jan 17, 12:10 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lev441
    Hi All,

Two questions please:

1) if you get a Lloyds card and use the upgrade, can you then use a companion voucher? Effectively upgrading two people return on the 7000 spend plus a companion voucher?

2) My mother has lots of points which she is happy to give to me. She does not currently live at my address. If she changed her address on Avios to match mine, and (after a while) we created a household account, could I spend her points? Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thank you!
    Originally posted by BankerwithaB
    1) Do you mean use a companion voucher from a BA amex card? You can't apply both vouchers to the same booking as one is an avios voucher and one is a BA executive club voucher.

2) Yes - by creating a household account with avios.com - the points are fully merged.

Happy to refer you for the Lloyds avios card if you haven't already got it - extra 4,500 points on offer for both of us! Drop me a PM if you'd like.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Jan 17, 12:31 PM
    • 6,213 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Beware Avios household account stops you transferring points from Avios to BAEC or Iberia.

Not a problem for some, but might be for others.
    • eagle
    • By eagle 9th Jan 17, 2:03 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    Beware Avios household account stops you transferring points from Avios to BAEC or Iberia.

Not a problem for some, but might be for others.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Not had this problem with my household account - I use my avios.com account for all transfers. Really worthwhile having accounts in all three of Avios.com, BA and Iberia.
    • StoveJ
    • By StoveJ 18th Apr 17, 5:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StoveJ
    BA AmEx introductory offer: 5000 points
    I recently applied for the BA AmEx partly due to the fact that your article, and the AmEx webpage that it takes you to, offered 5000 points if you spend 1000 within the first 3 months of membership.
    It turns out this offer ceased 6 weeks ago (I didn't see any expiry date on their page) and when I opened my account my account summary showed it is now 1000 points if you spend 500 within the first 3 months.
    I have phoned and lodged a complaint. I got a good will gesture of 2000 put against my account, I'm waiting for further response from their account team!
    It would be worth updating your article to warn people of this....
    • blindman
    • By blindman 18th Apr 17, 6:07 PM
    • 4,866 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    blindman
    I recently applied for the BA AmEx partly due to the fact that your article, and the AmEx webpage that it takes you to, offered 5000 points if you spend 1000 within the first 3 months of membership.
    It turns out this offer ceased 6 weeks ago (I didn't see any expiry date on their page) and when I opened my account my account summary showed it is now 1000 points if you spend 500 within the first 3 months.
    I have phoned and lodged a complaint. I got a good will gesture of 2000 put against my account, I'm waiting for further response from their account team!
    It would be worth updating your article to warn people of this....
    Originally posted by StoveJ
    Looks to me that the 5000 points offer is still there-I'd be pushing for the full 5000

However if you want accurate and good advice re Airline credit cards look at Headforpoints
    Last edited by blindman; 18-04-2017 at 7:23 PM.
    • StoveJ
    • By StoveJ 18th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StoveJ
    Yes it looked to me like it was still there and the AmEx representative confirmed the existence of the webpage (hence the 2000 good will points). It was after I had applied and then registered online for account access that my account summary showed the actual current deal!

Your Headfor points link shows the same out of date offer details...
    Last edited by StoveJ; 18-04-2017 at 6:14 PM.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 18th Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    • 4,866 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    blindman
    Yes it looked to me like it was still there and the AmEx representative confirmed the existence of the webpage (hence the 2000 good will points). It was after I had applied and then registered online for account access that my account summary showed the actual current deal!

Your Headfor points link shows the same out of date offer details...
    Originally posted by StoveJ
    Both links I provided show the 5000 points for 1000 spend so I can't see why you did not get this.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The offer is not out of date.

From https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ click on "Avios Cards" and you get to a page telling you about this offer.

Pursue your formal complaint with Amex. You should get your 5000 and some compensation for your trouble. Amex customer service is usually brilliant.

You could have also got a referral bonus if you had asked an existing cardholder to refer you.

If you are after a two for one voucher, and hit 10K spend before your first account year ends, you can pay 195 to upgrade to BAPP and get the bonus voucher.

If you are not after the two for one voucher, consider getting the Lloyds Avios cards as well. 1.25 Avios per 1 for a 24 fee. Doubled up for the first 6 months. Referral bonus available if you dont already have any Lloyds cards or accounts.
    • StoveJ
    • By StoveJ 19th Apr 17, 8:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StoveJ
    Nick_C
    I am pursuing my complaint with AmEx and I have directed them to their webpage showing the 5000 points offer, which they agree shouldn't be there!
    My point in posting this was to warn others that this problem exists and to announce the fact that, if anyone is in the same position as me, they should complain and pursue it also...
    I have also emailed the MSE team for them to follow up for their article.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Apr 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I wouldn't stop recommending a sign up bonus based on your experience. Until Amex take that offer off their website, it stands.

Amex usually (always?) offer sign up bonuses. When I first got the BA card, it was purely for the 50 sign up bonus. I've never known a time when they were not offering some sort of sign up bonus.

And this offer is not just on the Amex site, it is also promoted on the BA site: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb

Do let us know the outcome when you hear back from Amex.
    • Pmaddocks86
    • By Pmaddocks86 19th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pmaddocks86
    Hi All,

I have been looking at getting an Airline credit card, but I am questioning whether they are worth it vs a cashback card. It looks like a lot of T&Cs and restrictions on how you can use your points?

I do a few trips a year currently in Europe and am planning a few further afield in the next year or so, so am looking at ways to reduce the cost of travel.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Apr 17, 12:21 PM
    • 20,998 Posts
    • 10,004 Thanks
    lisyloo
    but I am questioning whether they are worth it vs a cashback card.

If you are willing to put in a little effort then it's better than cashback. For example take the Amex card and get the introductory points from that.

It looks like a lot of T&Cs and restrictions on how you can use your points?

Can you give an example of what you mean? If you fly a few times a year you shouldn't have an issue redeeming points - Christmas day/New Year - yes you probably can't use them, but I can't see why you shouldn't be able to redeem them.

If you don't want to make any effort then probably an Amazon Visa card might be the best bet if you buy things from Amazon.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Apr 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Hi All,

I have been looking at getting an Airline credit card, but I am questioning whether they are worth it vs a cashback card. It looks like a lot of T&Cs and restrictions on how you can use your points?

I do a few trips a year currently in Europe and am planning a few further afield in the next year or so, so am looking at ways to reduce the cost of travel.
    Originally posted by Pmaddocks86
    BA promise a minimum of 2 business class and 4 economy seats available for redemption on every flight - including Xmas and New Year. Other seats are released according to demand. If there is low demand from fare paying customers, they will release redemption seats. You will find PE and 1st seats available on some flights.

Many people will book a year in advance, as soon as flights go on sale, to get the redemption seats they are after. But seats are often available nearer the time.

In terms of "is it worth it", it depends how you will use the miles.

If you collect Avios using the free BA/Amex card, you get 1 Avios per 1 spent. You are forfeiting 0.5p per pound spent that you could earn on a cashback card. So is one Avios worth 0.5p?

For me, yes. My aim is to redeem for long haul business class. To fly to NYC and back in business class, you need 100,000 Avios. If you have paid 0.5p per Avios, then that's 500. On top of that, you pay fees and charges, which are about 530.

1030 for a business class flight to NYC is very good value, but it can be even better. If you want to take someone with you, then upgrade your Amex to BAPP for 195. Spend 10K in your account year and you get a two for one voucher. Two people return to NYC in business class for 1755. That's a real bargain. And that's assuming your Avios have cost you as much as 0.5p

My Avios cost me, on average, 0.3p.

Last year, I collected 134,685 Avios from the following sources:-

Tesco - 39,600
    On line surveys - 24,995
    Credit Card Spending - 22,091
    Car Hire - 18,700
    Flights - 14,634
    Shopping - 6,705
    Miscellaneous - 7,960

And I'm still fairly new to this game. The one thing I've not even looked at yet is "churning". Cancelling your credit card and reapplying after 6 months for a new sign up bonus.

My OH and I are flying business class to LA this summer. It is costing us less than 720 each. At the time I booked the tickets (last June), it would have cost more than 2000 each if I had paid cash. And redemption tickets are flexible. I could cancel now, and get my money and Avios back, except for a 30 admin fee.

And we already have enough miles saved up for another long haul flight next year.

Many people use Avios for short haul economy flights. With a reward flight saver, the fees and taxes are capped at 35 return, meaning you can get a return ticket to most places in Europe for 100. This can be good value in school holidays.

The one place where they are not good value is for long haul economy, where the Avios plus the very high fees and taxes can be more expensive than a cash ticket.

If you want to learn more, head over to www.headforpoints.com

And if your going to apply for an Airline Credit Card, ask someone to refer you so you get a referral bonus on top of the sign up bonus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,376Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin