IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking Eye ticket in Scotland
Closed Thread
Views: 5,823
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
muffinmclean
Old 25-10-2010, 2:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 68
Default Parking Eye ticket in Scotland

Hi, Ill make this short as possible. I am posting on behalf of my 74 year old nana who parked at Morrisons a week ago unbeknown the previously free car park was now run by a PPC. (Parking Eye). She received a letter saying to pay £80 blah blah blah the usual for parking longer than 2 hours.
I have looked all over and have saw that generally just to ignore this ticket and any future ones but my nana is fretting about it, so she asked CAB and to be honest they were no use, but the wifie in there said because parking eye are a member of the BPA we probably are liable to pay the fine and when I mentioned this website and others she said maybe that is onyl in England they have gotten away with it.

I dont think that is true, but my question is , has anyone from Scotland received these invoices and 'got away with it'? Or is it just Englad?
Can her credit rating be affected if she doesnt pay? I think I know what answers back will be, but its just to set her mind at rest if she has replies reagrding her specific details.

If it was me, I would just have ignored them but she lives alone and don't want her to fear that there will be bailiffs at the door or anything lol

much apprecited any help or extra info
muffinmclean is offline
Report Post
# 2
trisontana
Old 25-10-2010, 3:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 7,811
Default

The law is exactly the same in Scotland as in England. Now to correct some misconceptions! For a start it's not a "fine" it's an invoice. Secondly the BPA is just a trade association for the parking "industry". It has no official standing or regulatory role. The only way bailiffs can "appear at the door" is if the case goes to court (very unlikely) the case is lost (very, very unlikely) and the sum ordered by the judge is not paid. As usual the CAB are useless in these matters.

So just keep ignoring and everything will be OK.
Ben Franklin may have discovered electricity – but it is the man who invented the meter who made the money

Last edited by trisontana; 25-10-2010 at 3:16 PM.
trisontana is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
muffinmclean
Old 25-10-2010, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisontana View Post
The law is exactly the same in Scotland as in England. Now to correct some misconceptions! For a start it's not a "fine" it's an invoice. Secondly the BPA is just a trade association for the parking "industry". It has no official standing or regulatory role. The only way bailiffs can "appear at the door" is if the case goes to court (very unlikely) the case is lost (very, very unlikely) and the sum ordered by the judge is not paid. As usual the CAB are useless in these matters.

So just keep ignoring and plaything will be OK.

thanks for your reply. I smiled there because I have seen on others posta you mentioned its not a fine a few times....sorry lol I didnt mean to put that, I meant invoice! I'll go phone my nana and maybe she'll chill out about it. I wish it had been for me because I'd just have ignored it quite happily having read all the advice on the net. It's not right that their bullyboy threatening type tactics are allowed!! If I hadn't read about this before my nana would have tried to appeal and eventually just paid the money, it's not right this scaremongering with debt collectors etc.

Rant over
muffinmclean is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to muffinmclean For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Coupon-mad
Old 25-10-2010, 3:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sussex by the Sea
Posts: 22,930
Default

Show your nana this clip of Watchdog in May this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

The legal expert making the paper aeroplane is a Solicitor, Tim Cary, who deals with parking issues and knows his stuff. Do not let your nana fall for this scam and do not let her worry about the debt collector letters that arrive. How are you going to stop her fretting over those, they WILL arrive and they can look scary.

See the letter-chain here, this is what she'll be sent:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2214803

Maybe print the ones out that relate to her PPC and let her tick the rubbish off as it arrives?

Do tell her that Parking EYe NEVER EVER do Court, except for the time that Tasneem Patel took them to Court to get her brother's unwittingly-paid scam ticket money back. Parking Eye lost:

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/trainee_so...other_1_777088

No need to pay at all though of course, Ms Patel's brother's payment of the ticket was done by a hire company without questioning it - and was a mistake that was soon rectified as you can see by that Court judgment.

P.S. The advice from that CAB adviser sucks, the situation is the same in Scotland and in England and the BPA is only a members club, not a regulator. Report the CAB advice as wrong, the more people who complain about the CAB's duff advice in this area the better. If it's not clear how to complain about wrong CAB advice why not go in or phone them and ask them how to complain about them? That should make them sit up and take notice. They are so wrong - a PPC ticket is similar to a phishing email, it has no basis in law without establishing a clear contract with the driver (and they almost NEVER do).
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 25-10-2010 at 3:44 PM.
Coupon-mad is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
muffinmclean
Old 25-10-2010, 3:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupon-mad View Post
Show your nana this clip of Watchdog in May this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

The legal expert making the paper aeroplane is a Solicitor, Tim Cary, who deals with parking issues and knows his stuff. Do not let your nana fall for this scam and do not let her worry about the debt collector letters that arrive. How are you going to stop her fretting over those, they WILL arrive and they can look scary.

See the letter-chain here, this is what she'll be sent:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2214803

Maybe print the ones out that relate to her PPC and let her tick the rubbish off as it arrives?

Do tell her that Parking EYe NEVER EVER do Court, except for the time that Tasneem Patel took them to Court to get her brother's unwittingly-paid scam ticket money back. Parking Eye lost:

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/trainee_so...other_1_777088

No need to pay at all though of course, Ms Patel's brother's payment of the ticket was done by a hire company without questioning it - and was a mistake that was soon rectified as you can see by that Court judgment.

P.S. The advice from that CAB adviser sucks, the situation is the same in Scotland and in England and the BPA is only a members club, not a regulator. Report the CAB advice as wrong, the more people who complain about the CAB's duff advice in this area the better. If it's not clear how to complain about wrong CAB advice why not go in or phone them and ask them how to complain about them? That should make them sit up and take notice. They are so wrong - a PPC ticket is similar to a phishing email, it has no basis in law without establishing a clear contract with the driver (and they almost NEVER do).

thank you so much for that,I will let her see these things and I'll just tell her to rip up future letters that are from them before even properly reading them.

Thank you both!
muffinmclean is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to muffinmclean For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
kwaks
Old 25-10-2010, 3:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 478
Default

Just to add my voice to reassure her that it is an unenforceable invoice. Now I wouldn't be surprised if following communications from PE threaten with CCJs', which will expose the PPC for the numpties they are (CCJ not being relevent to Scotland).

Name the Morrisons branch and I may pop down to do some baiting, meanwhile I am sure a local newspaper will be happy to run a story on this scam. (my local paper are always very happy to be handed a story)
kwaks is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwaks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
muffinmclean
Old 25-10-2010, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaks View Post
Just to add my voice to reassure her that it is an unenforceable invoice. Now I wouldn't be surprised if following communications from PE threaten with CCJs', which will expose the PPC for the numpties they are (CCJ not being relevent to Scotland).

Name the Morrisons branch and I may pop down to do some baiting, meanwhile I am sure a local newspaper will be happy to run a story on this scam. (my local paper are always very happy to be handed a story)

thanks for this too. I will tell my nana all of the above.

It is Morrisons in Falkirk, do you live near there?
muffinmclean is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to muffinmclean For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pogofish
Old 26-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmclean View Post
has anyone from Scotland received these invoices and 'got away with it'? Or is it just Englad?
Don't worry at all - Apart from a slight difference in legal terminology and application, the law and its practical application is more or less the same.

Oh and I'm currently sitting on a Parking Eye tix from up North. Its been sitting at the "Final Notice" stage for weeks now and all their threats refer to English law and English court sanctions, which only makes it doubly unenforcable up here.
pogofish is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to pogofish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
kwaks
Old 26-10-2010, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmclean View Post
thanks for this too. I will tell my nana all of the above.

It is Morrisons in Falkirk, do you live near there?
Close enough, might have some fun with them.


Might see if the cars in the Falkirk Cruise want a new venue
kwaks is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to kwaks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:20 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 23 April 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 87
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSFROZEN (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL 21ST CENTURY

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.