Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 22nd Oct 10, 5:45 PM
    • 305Posts
    • 220Thanks
    C.C.L.
    Painting UPVC door
    • 22nd Oct 10, 5:45 PM
    Painting UPVC door 22nd Oct 10 at 5:45 PM
    We're wanting to paint our UPVC door, the internal part of it, as it's gone a horrible colour.I think it's because it's the kitchen one. The door itself is in good condition, so we'd rather not replace it.
    Could someone tell me the correct way to do this? I'm assuming that some sort of primer would be required? but is special paint needed?
    Any advice appreciated, TIA.
Page 1
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 22nd Oct 10, 6:21 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter
    • 22nd Oct 10, 6:21 PM
    • 22nd Oct 10, 6:21 PM
    it would only really be tempory (2-5 years tops) best bet i would say is car bumper paint from somewhere like auto paint
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • jay1976
    • 22nd Oct 10, 6:31 PM
    • 22nd Oct 10, 6:31 PM
    If its any use, i used t cut to clean up a discoloured door seemed to work a treat for me.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 22nd Oct 10, 9:06 PM
    • 10,783 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    • 22nd Oct 10, 9:06 PM
    • 22nd Oct 10, 9:06 PM
    Make sure the door is scrupulously clean. Then use International UPVC primer and any suitable satin or gloss paint thereafter. Their 10 year exterior gloss works very well for outside.

Dulux also make a UPVC primer.

Cheers
    • square bear
    • By square bear 22nd Oct 10, 9:26 PM
    • 3,742 Posts
    • 5,667 Thanks
    square bear
    • 22nd Oct 10, 9:26 PM
    • 22nd Oct 10, 9:26 PM
    I think that any UPVC door or window carries a 10 year guarantee against any defects.
    Do you know how old it is?
    If so, try and contact the supplier.

A similar thing happened to me, years ago.
    I complained about discolouring around a window frame when it was 8 yers old. They came and inspected it then agreed a replacement. Free of charge.
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 22nd Oct 10, 10:04 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    • 22nd Oct 10, 10:04 PM
    • 22nd Oct 10, 10:04 PM
    I think that any UPVC door or window carries a 10 year guarantee against any defects.
    Do you know how old it is?
    If so, try and contact the supplier.

A similar thing happened to me, years ago.
    I complained about discolouring around a window frame when it was 8 yers old. They came and inspected it then agreed a replacement. Free of charge.
    Originally posted by square bear
    Thanks for the reply, the door was already here when we bought the house a year ago, it's an old cottage, and we quite like the door.
    Thanks to everyone else for the replies, I think in all honesty we will be better off buying a new one. One thing I am sure of, it won't be white, lol.
    • loracan1
    • By loracan1 23rd Oct 10, 12:42 AM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    loracan1
    • 23rd Oct 10, 12:42 AM
    • 23rd Oct 10, 12:42 AM
    My front door was one of those white upvc with an inlay part that had gone yellow. Over the years I've tried jif, t-cut, fine sandpaper, everything. Still that horrible yellowy shade.

About 10 years ago I bought some upvc paint which has since been discontinued and that lay in the shed for the next decade...decided last spring that I was going to spruce it up (yes with the 10 year old paint)

Took the door off, rubbed it all down again, painted it, quick sand and another coat and put it back on in one day. It doesn't look like a new door - it's at least 20 years old. Replaced the handle, lock, knocker and letterbox at the same time and it looked great. So far it's stayed that way and if it only lasts 2-3 years it cost me a day and a few quid for the bits.

If I ever get my pc up and running again I'll post a little before/after snap.
    • tony6403
    • By tony6403 23rd Oct 10, 11:36 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    tony6403
    • 23rd Oct 10, 11:36 PM
    • 23rd Oct 10, 11:36 PM
    Wonder if this is as good as it says - but for some reason is "exterior"

Ronseal Stay White uPVC Paint

Is the UPVC on your home looking tired and weathered? Ronseal Stay White UPVC Paint is tough, durable and transforms weathered and discoloured UPVC. Touch dry in just 30 minutes, it's just what your home's exterior needs for a quick lift.
    • Tough & Durable finish
    • Provides tough, waterproof protection
    • Quick Drying formulation
    • Does not require a primer
    • Areas of use: Exterior uPVC
    • Coverage: 12 m2 covered per litre
    • Number of coats: 2
    • Finish: Satin
    • Application: Brush
    • Drying time: 30 mins
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

295Posts Today

2,849Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Glad to see @IamSairaKhan is offering out Prosecco not champagne on #CBB. Her time with me hasn't been wasted!

• I can see @IamSairaKhan already starting to look after everyone, like she does me on a shoot. I hope they appreciate her in there #cbb

• Why do some #CBB contestants feel the need to swear every other word. The power of profanity is in its rare shocking use. Its horrid.

• Follow Martin