Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Caggie35
    Voluntary Redundancy - Can i claim JSA??
    • 19th Oct 10, 8:42 PM
    Voluntary Redundancy - Can i claim JSA?? 19th Oct 10 at 8:42 PM
    I am new to this site and the forums and would really appreciate some advice please.

I have recently taken voluntary redundancy, my final day of work will be this Friday. i would like to know whether i can claim JSA even though i have volunteered to leave employment.

Even though i am getting a nice lump sum i do need to pay off some debts so would i have to prove i've used a fair portion of the money for credit card etc??

Also i have two young children (3 and 11 months) and a partner who is temporary work would this affect my claim/tax credits?

I do think i need to contact CAB but any help would be appreciated
Page 1
  • anna42hmr
    • 21st Oct 10, 12:14 PM
    • 21st Oct 10, 12:14 PM
    yes you can claim, even if it is VR

there is 2 types of job seekers allowance (contributory and means tested)

if you have paid in enough National Insurance over the previous two years, then you are entitled to contributory JSA, this lasts for aprox 6 months, think its 26 weeks)

after the 6 months then they will then check your financial status and see if you are entitled to means tested JSA. at the time i was speaking to them, savings under 6,000 were not taken into account, savings between 6-16k were taken into account and the level of jsa you would be entitled to would be on a sliding scale (ie more savings = less JSA) over 16K savings then no means tested jsa is payable.

I beleive that if you have not paid in enough National Insurance over the previous 2 years, then they look to see if you are able to go onto means tested jsa straight away.
  • B.E.N
    • 23rd Oct 10, 4:25 PM
    • 23rd Oct 10, 4:25 PM
    A word of caution, however.

Clearing your debts is fine, however, if you plan on claiming INCOME RELATED benefits (as above, Income-Based Job Seeker's Allowance, for example), and the act of paying off your debts has the consequence of bringing your capital/savings down to a level where you would be eligible for these benefits (for IB-JSA - 15,999.99), then the DWP may decide that you have deliberately 'deprived' yourself of capital in order to claim benefits and thus refuse your claim.
    Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Gardening Girl
    • By Gardening Girl 23rd Oct 10, 7:11 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Gardening Girl
    • 23rd Oct 10, 7:11 PM
    • 23rd Oct 10, 7:11 PM
    Hi Caggie35

My company made redundancies last year and offered an enhanced package to those volunteered. I asked if it would affect claiming JSA and was told that taking voluntary would not affect my claim. I didn't have any problems with the Job Centre claiming contribution based JSA.

Your savings don't count for a contribution based claim.

Good luck with it all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,545Posts Today

6,840Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin