Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minnie123
    • By minnie123 18th Oct 10, 4:00 PM
    • 2,034Posts
    • 11,659Thanks
    minnie123
    Reheating a cooked (Rotisserie) Chicken advice please
    • 18th Oct 10, 4:00 PM
    Reheating a cooked (Rotisserie) Chicken advice please 18th Oct 10 at 4:00 PM
    Hi,

I bought a cooked chicken from Morrisons at lunchtime today to eat for tea tonight. It has cooled now so I have just put it into the fridge. Can anyone recommend me the best way to reheat later before eating, and is it safe to do so?

Thanks Very Much x
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
Page 1
    • Miss Laid
    • By Miss Laid 18th Oct 10, 4:44 PM
    • 6,202 Posts
    • 144,031 Thanks
    Miss Laid
    • 18th Oct 10, 4:44 PM
    • 18th Oct 10, 4:44 PM
    I always reheat mine and we are still here, if its for a roast I make the gravy then pour gravy into a large frying and add the chicken then simmer for around 5 mins, or i add it to a curry and cook for 20 mins in the oven, I find it needs a "sauce" to stop it drying out
    Anyone can cuddle but only the Welsh can cwtch
  • alandbailey
    • 18th Oct 10, 4:59 PM
    • 18th Oct 10, 4:59 PM
    I usually strip the meat from it when cold, then reheat the meat in the microwave and serve as normal - or reheat it in a curry or chicken supreme cook-in sauce. I do this often.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 18th Oct 10, 5:22 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    antenna
    • 18th Oct 10, 5:22 PM
    • 18th Oct 10, 5:22 PM
    There are no germs in a properly cooked chicken so they can be reheated with no problem.
    If you yourself introduce germs into a cooked chicken while cooling it down or unhygenic handling then these can be destroyed by reheating the chicken to cooking temperature for 5 minutes.
    For example...you buy a cooken chicken from tesco's in a sealed bag (this chicken has no germs in it)..if you think it might have,then dont even eat it hot from the bag!......if you need to eat it later then leave in bag sealed from any risk,germs cannot enter the sealed bag so it must be ok to reheat within a couple of hours to cooking temp for 5 minutes.......simples
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Shadow Jam
    • 18th Oct 10, 5:48 PM
    • 18th Oct 10, 5:48 PM
    yes, as suggested there is no problem. the guide for reheating says 72c (or 75c depending on source) for at least 2 minutes.

might not taste quite as good...
    • UnderPressure
    • By UnderPressure 18th Oct 10, 6:36 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 5,211 Thanks
    UnderPressure
    • 18th Oct 10, 6:36 PM
    You could throw it back in the oven at around 200 degrees for say 15-20 mins, this should re-heat it and also help to crisp the skin a bit
    • minnie123
    • By minnie123 18th Oct 10, 6:36 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 11,659 Thanks
    minnie123
    Thanks everyone I think I will wrap in foil and stick in preheated oven for 15 mins then.
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
    • minnie123
    • By minnie123 18th Oct 10, 6:37 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 11,659 Thanks
    minnie123
    • 18th Oct 10, 6:37 PM
    • 18th Oct 10, 6:37 PM
    When I googled about reheating it I just got a lot of scare stories x
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
    • UnderPressure
    • By UnderPressure 18th Oct 10, 6:45 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 5,211 Thanks
    UnderPressure
    • 18th Oct 10, 6:45 PM
    • 18th Oct 10, 6:45 PM
    Originally posted by minnie123

Dont worry as long as you make sure it is piping hot in the middle it will be fine, the tin foil is a great idea if you dont like crispy skin as it will help to keep it moist.

The dangers with chicken is more to do with cooking it from raw, as already said as long as it has been cooked properly to begin with (which you can only hope lol) there should be no problem just make sure it is hot throughout. You will be fine
    • zenseeker
    • By zenseeker 18th Oct 10, 7:41 PM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 30,148 Thanks
    zenseeker
    Originally posted by minnie123
    I used to work on the Oven Fresh in Morrisons and could tell you some stories way scarier :/
    2016 Wins:

5 bags of Queal and bars
    • minnie123
    • By minnie123 18th Oct 10, 10:33 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 11,659 Thanks
    minnie123
    I'm intrigued now tell me ....
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
  • Sugarhunny1
    I'm intrigued also! Don't know if I actually want to know though :-/

Sugar xxx
    "The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"
  • leo~saphira
    There are no germs in a properly cooked chicken so they can be reheated with no problem.
    If you yourself introduce germs into a cooked chicken while cooling it down or unhygenic handling then these can be destroyed by reheating the chicken to cooking temperature for 5 minutes.
    For example...you buy a cooken chicken from tesco's in a sealed bag (this chicken has no germs in it)..if you think it might have,then dont even eat it hot from the bag!......if you need to eat it later then leave in bag sealed from any risk,germs cannot enter the sealed bag so it must be ok to reheat within a couple of hours to cooking temp for 5 minutes.......simples
    Originally posted by antenna
    Wrong.. You can still get food poisoning from cooked chicken as it might looked cooked on the outside... but what about the inner?.

Sorry I had to put this post up - how do you know that the bag is sterile? Now, how do you know how the chicken was placed in the bag - may have being the tongs to put the chicken in there (did those tongs touch raw meat?) or the use of gloves and fingers or the odd hair might get in.

As part of my Food Safe and Hazard Risk Assessments in past life I can honestly say... I would honestly would wash and recook to full temp, so the chicken meat has a internal temp of above 65c as you would in a oven
    It's hard to find the balance when you are love.
    You're lost in the middle cause you have to decide between mind & heart.
    Heart is the engine of your body but brain is the engine of life.

• alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 19th Oct 10, 7:45 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    • pompeyfanpaul
    • By pompeyfanpaul 9th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pompeyfanpaul
    I wouldn't reheat a cooked chicken in the oven, but thoroughly reheating it in the microwave is safe
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 9th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 35,409 Posts
    • 45,570 Thanks
    McKneff
    Just reheat what you actually need. Use the leftovers tomorrow so you arent re heating twice .
    Or freeze
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 17,974 Thanks
    Slinky
    Good lord, why dig up a 7 year old thread?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,679Posts Today

8,107Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin