Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deanos
    • By deanos 10th Feb 05, 11:22 PM
    • 10,761Posts
    • 5,526Thanks
    deanos
    Wash your uniform at home ? then claim your tax allowance !
    • 10th Feb 05, 11:22 PM
    Wash your uniform at home ? then claim your tax allowance ! 10th Feb 05 at 11:22 PM
    MSE Insert:

Do you think you're owed tax back for washing your uniform?

Read the fully researched Uniform Tax Rebate guide.

If you've got your tax back let us know below and you might get one of our Uniform Washer forum badges!

As MoneySavers have been reclaiming tax on uniform washing on MoneySavingExpert for over 10 years the earlier replies below are the oldest. To see the most recent successes click to read the last pages.

----------------------

EDIT : Tax allowance now £60 to £140 per year from April 2008

See list of what you can claim here > http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim32712.htm it is not limited to those listed but that is a guide and customs will choose the most suitable catogory based on your job

Wash your uniform at home ?

Then write to your tax office and tell them, i got a extra tax allowance and it is backdated 4 years (+current year) which its better than nothing and better in your pocket

It only costs the price of a stamp so worth a try !

All you need to do is fill in the blanks and send it to your work's tax office.(thanks to max2002ad)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your Name
    Your Address
    National Insurance Number
    Date

Inland Revenue
    Tax Office Address
    Details available from
    Your employer/pay roll dept
    …………
    Postcode.

Dear Inland Revenue

RE: Expenses Allowance

I have been employed at Company Name, Location since (Date of Starting at Employment). I am obliged to launder the uniform, which is supplied to me by the company. I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £xx for each year since the above date.

Yours Faithfully

Your Name
    Your Tax code

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers-bulletin/bulletin27/freas.htm
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:53 PM.
Page 109
    • b33r
    • By b33r 15th Nov 17, 11:39 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    b33r
    Hi,

The business I work for require us to wear the company logo'd T-shirt (and black trousers and formal shoes) however only when we will have customers, clients or suppliers in the office that day (if not we can wear what we like (within reason!). If i were to guess this is approximately 40% of the time although it is getting more frequent however doubt it will ever reach 100%.

Can I still claim?
    beer for b33r
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 16th Nov 17, 12:57 AM
    • 5,559 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    00ec25
    Hi,

The business I work for require us to wear the company logo'd T-shirt (and black trousers and formal shoes) however only when we will have customers, clients or suppliers in the office that day (if not we can wear what we like (within reason!). If i were to guess this is approximately 40% of the time although it is getting more frequent however doubt it will ever reach 100%.

Can I still claim?
    Originally posted by b33r
    if your contract of employment requires you to wear a uniform then you are required to wear one and when asked your employer would presumably confirm that to HMRC

don't blink, you may not see your £12 tax rebate
    • b33r
    • By b33r 16th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    b33r
    if your contract of employment requires you to wear a uniform then you are required to wear one and when asked your employer would presumably confirm that to HMRC

don't blink, you may not see your £12 tax rebate
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Hey, better in my pocket than theirs!

Thanks for the reply, I don't think it states in my contract of employment but I will check. If it doesn't (and it's just a policy) does that mean I can't claim?
    beer for b33r
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Nov 17, 11:43 AM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don't think it states in my contract of employment but I will check. If it doesn't (and it's just a policy) does that mean I can't claim?
    I think you'll have a hard time convincing HMRC that you're entitled to anything. I've never heard of anyone claiming on the basis that they have to wear a tee shirt 40% of the time.

I assume your trousers and shoes on those days are your own and not issued by the company? If so, you are wanting to claim simply for washing a tee shirt which you are not required to wear most of the time. Hardly an extra cost to you!
    • b33r
    • By b33r 17th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    b33r
    I think you'll have a hard time convincing HMRC that you're entitled to anything.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Yeh, no intentions of making a battle out of it, i just read about the uniform tax rebate on the weekly newsletter and so wondered if it applied in my case and if it was easy enough I would claim what I'm entitled to.

I've never heard of anyone claiming on the basis that they have to wear a tee shirt 40% of the time.
    Yeh I did a bit of googling and couldn't find any other cases which is why I asked.

I assume your trousers and shoes on those days are your own and not issued by the company? If so, you are wanting to claim simply for washing a tee shirt which you are not required to wear most of the time. Hardly an extra cost to you!
    Yes, trousers and shoes are my own. No the cost will be minimal but if there is any cost at all that I am entitled to claim back and the process to do it was easy enough (i.e. didn't cost me more in time than I could claim) I would do it.
    beer for b33r
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Nov 17, 12:49 AM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the cost will be minimal
    The cost will be nil, as your tee shirt can easily go in with your normal laundry.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 18th Nov 17, 1:04 AM
    • 5,559 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    00ec25
    The cost will be nil, as your tee shirt can easily go in with your normal laundry.
    whilst I understand your annoyance, the fact is that if your employer requires you to wear clothing that meets the definition of a uniform then it does not matter whether that clothing comprises 1 or 20 items

you can claim the default rate for doing uniform laundry: £60 pa, and thus get a £12 tax rebate as a basic rate taxpayer.

there are only 2 real issues:
    a) if HMRC contacts the employer, will the employer be able to provide evidence that wearing the uniform is a requirement and thus "wholly, necessarily, and exclusively undertaken in the performance of the duties of the employment": yes/no. There is no minimum wear period, merely the existence of a requirement, eg: 1% of the time.

and

b) does the clothing meet the definition of a uniform: yes/no.
    A T-shirt with permanent logo is unquestionably a uniform in that sense.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32475

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32480
    Last edited by 00ec25; 18-11-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Nov 17, 1:25 AM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    whilst I understand your annoyance, the fact is that if your employer requires you to wear clothing that meets the definition of a uniform then it does not matter whether that clothing comprises 1 or 20 items
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    I'm not annoyed!

I just think user "b33r" will not be successful, unless the tee shirt is part of his contract.

I was pointing out that he shouldn't be too disappointed as his "uniform" doesn't actually cost him anything extra in laundry fees.

If he is successful, on the other hand, he has £12 that the Taxman would otherwise have.
    • doodlez1612
    • By doodlez1612 18th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    doodlez1612
    B33r, I have claimed for years on the basis of wearing a logoed tshirt and some PPE occasionally. They don’t specifiy how frequently something has to be worn or how frequently it has to be washed or how many items there have to be. I took it as ‘if there is anything you have been given to wear for work and need to wash that you wouldn’t wear oiytside of work’. Sure £12 a year isn’t much but it’s better then nothing bearing in mind how easy it is to claim.
    • GlennTheBaker
    • By GlennTheBaker 26th Nov 17, 9:18 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 1,809 Thanks
    GlennTheBaker
    My employer provides me with 3 polo shirts embroidered with the company logo. Nowhere in my contract does it stipulate that I must wear them. I wear one when the circumstances suit, the rest of the time I wear a shirt and tie. To say there is no cost involved in washing and drying them at home just because they can get put in with the rest of the laundry is incorrect.
    • b33r
    • By b33r 27th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    b33r
    My employer provides me with 3 polo shirts embroidered with the company logo. Nowhere in my contract does it stipulate that I must wear them. I wear one when the circumstances suit, the rest of the time I wear a shirt and tie. To say there is no cost involved in washing and drying them at home just because they can get put in with the rest of the laundry is incorrect.
    Originally posted by GlennTheBaker
    Thanks for the reply. Do you claim the tax allowance for this?
    beer for b33r
    • GlennTheBaker
    • By GlennTheBaker 5th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 1,809 Thanks
    GlennTheBaker
    Thanks for the reply. Do you claim the tax allowance for this?
    Yes, I do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter