Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deanos
    • By deanos 10th Feb 05, 11:22 PM
    • 10,752Posts
    • 5,523Thanks
    deanos
    Wash your uniform at home ? then claim your tax allowance !
    • 10th Feb 05, 11:22 PM
    Wash your uniform at home ? then claim your tax allowance ! 10th Feb 05 at 11:22 PM
    MSE Insert:

Do you think you're owed tax back for washing your uniform?

Read the fully researched Uniform Tax Rebate guide.

If you've got your tax back let us know below and you might get one of our Uniform Washer forum badges!

As MoneySavers have been reclaiming tax on uniform washing on MoneySavingExpert for over 10 years the earlier replies below are the oldest. To see the most recent successes click to read the last pages.

----------------------

EDIT : Tax allowance now £60 to £140 per year from April 2008

See list of what you can claim here > http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim32712.htm it is not limited to those listed but that is a guide and customs will choose the most suitable catogory based on your job

Wash your uniform at home ?

Then write to your tax office and tell them, i got a extra tax allowance and it is backdated 4 years (+current year) which its better than nothing and better in your pocket

It only costs the price of a stamp so worth a try !

All you need to do is fill in the blanks and send it to your work's tax office.(thanks to max2002ad)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your Name
    Your Address
    National Insurance Number
    Date

Inland Revenue
    Tax Office Address
    Details available from
    Your employer/pay roll dept
    …………
    Postcode.

Dear Inland Revenue

RE: Expenses Allowance

I have been employed at Company Name, Location since (Date of Starting at Employment). I am obliged to launder the uniform, which is supplied to me by the company. I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £xx for each year since the above date.

Yours Faithfully

Your Name
    Your Tax code

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers-bulletin/bulletin27/freas.htm
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:53 PM.
Page 108
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 17th Feb 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    I would say you've answered your own question there, doesn't this seem applicable to you,

a. Those workers incurring laundry costs only. £60

And don't forget you don't actually get £60, you are entitled to tax relief on the £60 which will be worth anywhere between £0 and £27 per year (£12 for most people)
    • booksurr
    • By booksurr 17th Feb 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    booksurr
    Sorry Dazed and confused, I think I am been a bit dense.

As in additional costs do you mean, like; mileage allowance, cleaning boots?

Could you give me an example?
    Originally posted by Dave 308
    that is exactly the point. Sadly, the manual does not define what it means by "all other workers".

Neither can you offer an explanation as to why you would be entitled to £120 when all you are doing is washing 2 items of clothing in line with the comment "Those workers incurring laundry costs only £60".
    • Dave 308
    • By Dave 308 19th Feb 17, 8:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dave 308
    Dazed and confused & booksurr, thanks for the help.

So it looks like the £60 option for me, some is better than none.

As to why I should entitled to £120; I have a standpoint of minimising my tax, just like all the big companies and non-doms.

Would like to know what “all other works” is. Is it worth ringing the HMRC to fined out?
    • BackonTheMarket75
    • By BackonTheMarket75 18th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BackonTheMarket75
    Yes! My tax has now been reduced for washing my uniform at home
    • tillycat123
    • By tillycat123 22nd Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    tillycat123
    If you have 2 jobs that both give uniform can you claim for both or just 1 claim has to cover all?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 22nd Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    00ec25
    If you have 2 jobs that both give uniform can you claim for both or just 1 claim has to cover all?
    Originally posted by tillycat123
    read post #1's links, the answer is there
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=281775&postcount=1
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 4th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Brilliant money-saving tip and thanks for letting me know. Bit of a retro-post here but managed to save £200 in my old customer service job. It was very easy to do through HMRC. One happy debt-free wannabe! Thank you.
    Emergencies account: £200/500 CC (20/10/17): £652.50
    Groceries Nov 2017: EUR13.56/120 NSD Nov 2017: 1/10
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 10th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Ashers92
    Here's a question.

I've already successfully applied for this rebate a couple of years ago, but now I'm helping a colleague do the same. This is his second time working at the company after taking a break and working elsewhere. Can a single claim be put in for the first time working here between the dates he worked here, as well as the second time.
    How would we go about wording it in the letter? Something like below?

'I have been employed at 'COMPANY' between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx and since xx/xx/xx.
    I am provided with multiple items of uniform bearing the company logo. As such I am obliged to launder the uniform, as there are no laundry facilities available to me.
    I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £60 for each year worked during/since the above dates.'

Also, is the rebate still back dated 4 years, plus the current tax year? If so, he started working the first time round long before the 2013/14 tax year. Should we include the original dates anyway and let the tax office work out the cut off time for a rebate?

Thanks,
    Ash
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £21690 / £40000
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    00ec25
    Here's a question.

I've already successfully applied for this rebate a couple of years ago, but now I'm helping a colleague do the same. This is his second time working at the company after taking a break and working elsewhere. Can a single claim be put in for the first time working here between the dates he worked here, as well as the second time.
    How would we go about wording it in the letter? Something like below?

'I have been employed at 'COMPANY' between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx and since xx/xx/xx.
    I am provided with multiple items of uniform bearing the company logo. As such I am obliged to launder the uniform, as there are no laundry facilities available to me.
    I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £60 for each year worked during/since the above dates.'

Also, is the rebate still back dated 4 years, plus the current tax year? If so, he started working the first time round long before the 2013/14 tax year. Should we include the original dates anyway and let the tax office work out the cut off time for a rebate?

Thanks,
    Ash
    Originally posted by Ashers92
    technically if you write to HMRC you are supposed to use a P87 form. If you choose to write a letter instead then the bottom line is you claim for each tax year

the P87 covers an individual tax year, therefore you would need to send 5 separate forms for the tax years: 17/18, 16/17, 15/16, 14/15 & 13/14

form and instructions here:
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/how-to-claim
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 10th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Ashers92
    technically if you write to HMRC you are supposed to use a P87 form. If you choose to write a letter instead then the bottom line is you claim for each tax year

the P87 covers an individual tax year, therefore you would need to send 5 separate forms for the tax years: 17/18, 16/17, 15/16, 14/15 & 13/14

form and instructions here:
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/how-to-claim
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Okay then. In addition to the letter we'll send the relevant amount of forms then.
    If you only worked half the tax year, I'm guessing you still put in a form for that year?
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £21690 / £40000
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 20th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 4,496 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    Using the advice on this forum I managed to get a rebate for cleaning my works uniform for the last year and my tax code adjusted for future years. It's not a huge amount, but any tax I don't have to pay is a very welcome amount of money in my pocket nowadays.

Are there still badges being given out? Would love another for my little collection.

• tajasel
    • By tajasel 1st Aug 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tajasel
    The Royal College of Nursing have a form for nursing staff (inc healthcare assistants) to fill in, that you can send to the HMRC - it has uniform, NMC fees, RCN fees, socks and shoes section on it. Worked for me!

I'm too new to be able to post links but here's where to find it:

rcn.org.uk/-/media/royal-college-of-nursing/documents/council-documents/membership/tax-relief-form.pdf
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 1st Aug 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    00ec25
    The Royal College of Nursing have a form for nursing staff (inc healthcare assistants) to fill in, that you can send to the HMRC - it has uniform, NMC fees, RCN fees, socks and shoes section on it. Worked for me!

I'm too new to be able to post links but here's where to find it:

rcn.org.uk/-/media/royal-college-of-nursing/documents/council-documents/membership/tax-relief-form.pdf
    Originally posted by tajasel
    yes, the help provided by the RCN has been mentioned many times before, also, unlike other trade unions/professional bodies who provide "forms" to their members, theirs does not result in you paying some of your tax refund to them as commission.

a better link is this one as it explains what else you can claim besides just laundry costs, the form is then downloaded from the bottom of the page:

https://www.rcn.org.uk/membership/tax-relief
    Last edited by 00ec25; 02-08-2017 at 6:15 PM.
    • HSWW
    • By HSWW 2nd Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HSWW
    £250 back!!
    Thanks so much for this, I work as a speech and language therapist, I filled out the form for the past three years, (one form for each year) for uniform cleansing, and for professional registrations. I'm due £250! And they have adjusted my tax code going forward.
    Would encourage everyone eligible to do this, well worth it!
    Thanks Martin and team.
    Hazel
    • Shamaz
    • By Shamaz 2nd Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shamaz
    I have seen an advert for taxrebates.co.uk who claim that I can claim back over £220.
    They take 25% of this but I am confused.
    HRMC Website and this website states I can claim the tax back for each year, max 5 years, of my annual allowance, which is £60.

Therefore if I claim through HRMC I'd get 5 x £12, however these guys are suggesting I'd get £220 minus their 25%?

I always avoid these sites that say they can do it for you if I can do it myself but I'm confused about the large difference of the sums, i.e. £60 vs £220.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    badmemory
    Do not pay someone to do this for you. You will have to do all the work & they just skim off the top. If people did this for themselves they would go out of business. You will never see HMRC recommend you use them.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Shamaz

If you give that company the same information as you yourself would give HMRC then you can only ever get less money from the private company.

As others have said you can do this yourself, there is no need to give them 25% for them to put the information you send to them (the private company) in an envelope and post it to HMRC.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    And their website does actually say,

How much can I claim?
    The amount you can claim depends on your job. If claiming for the full 4 years, the standard rebate for most employees is £48. However for certain professions, HMRC has agreed higher allowances. Use our tax rebate calculator to calculate how much you are entitled to based on your circumstances

so where have you got the £220 figure from?
    • davidshaw
    • By davidshaw 24th Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davidshaw
    Does this count if you are self employed?
    Hi, I'm self-employed but I have printed tshirt with my logo on. Can I still claim back some money?
    • shays_mum
    • By shays_mum 27th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    shays_mum
    I've used this guide & just it via whattsapp with all my mate's. Thanks x
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin