Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 252
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 10,202 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Re the delay in increasing bands - whatever the result of my hearing, surely I have been at a disadvantage in having to pay the higher band of council tax for almost a year, when the same house round the corner hasn't? Since VOA are an offshoot of HMRC isn't there something about fairness in their charter - especially when they were told multiple times of the inconsistency?
    Originally posted by sirmixalot
    VOA argument would be that you are not at a disadvantage as the band has been incorrect since day one and you have been underpaying from that day until your home was rebanded. If one was to have "fairness" then you and all your neighbours in increased band houses would have to pay the council the underpayment going back all those years. But fortunately for you and your neighbours CT legislation does not permit this.

Your band was incorrect, the VOA corrected it as is their duty. As I said in my previous post, complaining about the delay in increasing the other bands will achieve absolutely nothing. In fact it may divert attention from more pertinent aspects of your appeal.

Your neighbours losing the appeal could be bad news as the VOA now have evidence of the new band being confirmed. Regarding the larger houses, you must urge the VOA to explain the discrepancy.
    • Shirazee
    • By Shirazee 20th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Shirazee
    Advice needed
    Just wondering if anyone could offer us any help or advice. My mother-in-law died earlier this year and it was only as a result of this that we discovered that her council tax banding is G, she never discussed anything like this with the family, with only occasional comments that her banding was high. On checking we found that only 2 other houses on her street were G, both much bigger & on checking further we discovered that originally 9 properties were rated G, 6 of these has since been reduced to F (which would seem to indicate that the original bands were inaccurate, several other properties have also had their bands reduced.)

We have contacted VOA to query, our main problem is that the property was built by my husband's grandfather back in 1953 so has never been sold, meaning that we have no sales price evidence. It is also an individually designed house, originally a bungalow, but extended in 1977 by my late father-in-law (they were builders) which means we have no identical or very similar properties to compare with. The road comprises of many different types of older properties; bungalows, terraces, semis as well as detached houses, this is not a modern development of similar properties.

It seems unfair that as we cannot supply evidence, as there isn't any, that they are not prepared to look at our query. The plan is for my husband & I to buy out his sisters' shares & move into the property once ours is sold & we could well do without the extra expense of this high banding.

Do we have any hope?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10,202 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Do we have any hope?
    Originally posted by Shirazee
    As Band G has such a wide ban span (£160,001 - £320,000) there are bound to be very different houses in same band. Try to find larger houses than yours in Band F
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 21-12-2017 at 2:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,132Posts Today

8,174Users online

Martin's Twitter