Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 247
    • Vaan382
    • By Vaan382 27th Feb 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vaan382
    Hi,

I live in a flat complex and although my neighbours are in the same Council Tax band as me, my flat is smaller than theirs (two bedrooms instead of three). Is there a chance I could be in a lower band than them or is the band meant to be the same for the whole building?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Feb 17, 7:49 PM
    • 9,647 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi,

I live in a flat complex and although my neighbours are in the same Council Tax band as me, my flat is smaller than theirs (two bedrooms instead of three). Is there a chance I could be in a lower band than them or is the band meant to be the same for the whole building?
    Originally posted by Vaan382
    Bands are based on 1991 property values.

To give you an example, in England Band C covers properties worth between £52,001 and £68,000. So if in 1991 2 bed worth £55K and 3 bed £65K, then Band C is correct for both.

But if the 2 bed was worth £50K then it would be in the wrong band.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 27th Feb 17, 7:53 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    Hi,

Originally posted by Vaan382
    Each property is looked at individually.

It all depends where the assessed value of your property falls - If it is at the upper end of the existing band perhaps it wouldn't lower the band even if the value was looked at again. If it's at the lower end of the existing band there's a better chance that a revaluation could lower the band.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • moneybags1957
    • By moneybags1957 6th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    moneybags1957
    Just been successful in getting re banded, E down to D thanks to advice from MSE forum.
    Now I have been in the wrong band since council tax inception.
    1. Will I get a refund from that date?
    2. Can the council appeal VOA decision?
    3. Do the VOA inform the council or do I have to?
    Last edited by moneybags1957; 06-03-2017 at 4:49 PM. Reason: mistake
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 9,647 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    1. yes, but some councils have been known to limit refunds to 6 yrs
    2. no
    3. yes, VOA inform council
    • CIS
    • By CIS 6th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    It's very true that some Local Authorities will try to avoid backdating more than 6 years but if they do you should point out the Valuation Tribunal Presidents decision in Holdsworth & others v. City of Bradford

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • moneybags1957
    • By moneybags1957 7th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    moneybags1957
    Do I have to apply for the rebate or will the council be pro active?
    If I have to apply to whom do I apply to?
    Last edited by moneybags1957; 07-03-2017 at 5:13 PM. Reason: another question added
    • CIS
    • By CIS 7th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    Do I have to apply for the rebate or will the council be pro active?
    If I have to apply to whom do I apply to?
    Originally posted by moneybags1957
    The council will pay any refund - they'll send you a council tax demand notice showing the amount due for refund. Some will refund it straight away others will wait for you to apply for the credit.

Craig
    • boo123boo
    • By boo123boo 14th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    boo123boo
    Confused with valuation figure...
    Hi,

I'm trying to work out the value of our house in 1991. If I use the calculator based on the price we paid for it (in 2012), we fall within bracket B. But if we use the price the previous owners paid when they bought in 2006 (and using some of our neighbours valuations), it falls within bracket A.

Is it worth appealing? The remainder of the street are either B (2 bedroom properties) or C (3 bedrooms).

Thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 9,647 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi,

I'm trying to work out the value of our house in 1991. If I use the calculator based on the price we paid for it (in 2012), we fall within bracket B. But if we use the price the previous owners paid when they bought in 2006 (and using some of our neighbours valuations), it falls within bracket A.

Is it worth appealing? The remainder of the street are either B (2 bedroom properties) or C (3 bedrooms).

Thanks
    Originally posted by boo123boo
    Which shows you how inaccurate these house price calculators can be. You will need better evidence, otherwise the VOA will just send you a generic "your band is correct" letter if you query the band.
    • pennyyoung
    • By pennyyoung 21st Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pennyyoung
    Help
    Hi,

received re-banding from B to A approx 2/3 years ago how do I go about asking for a refund over payments?
    Is there a letter template available that I can use?

Regards
    Penny
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 9,647 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi,

received re-banding from B to A approx 2/3 years ago how do I go about asking for a refund over payments?
    Is there a letter template available that I can use?

Regards
    Penny
    Originally posted by pennyyoung
    Was this rebanding done 2 or 3 yrs ago or did u move into the property 2 or 3 yrs ago. Refunds are usually done automatically by council although since we are near start of financial year, council may credit 2017/8 CT bill with previous year's overpayment.
    • talisay
    • By talisay 24th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    talisay
    Council Tax Benefit
    Thanks for your help. I have received notification from Valuation Office that my band has been reduced from E to D effective from 1993. Too early to have heard from the council yet but I have a couple of questions.

In the early years from 1993 I received some Housing Benefit. Not for some time now though. Will this affect my refund ?

I see some councils are taking the refund as payment for the current year's council tax. That is alright for this year which I have paid in full, but the award was dated March 2017. Can they take next years Council tax?

Many thanks
    • CIS
    • By CIS 24th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    In the early years from 1993 I received some Housing Benefit. Not for some time now though. Will this affect my refund ?
    No but most people in receipt of Housing Benefit also got Council Tax Benefit so that will need to be taken in to account.

Craig
    • talisay
    • By talisay 24th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    talisay
    Sorry Craig I meant Council Tax benefit. Do they take back all the money paid up to the refund amount for that year. In the early years there was about £200 between the bands. I think I would still received some council tax discount even if my council tax had been £200 lower. I know it's hard to be specific without knowing the figures but anything you can tell me would be helpful. Many thanks
    • CIS
    • By CIS 24th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    Sorry Craig I meant Council Tax benefit. Do they take back all the money paid up to the refund amount for that year. In the early years there was about £200 between the bands. I think I would still received some council tax discount even if my council tax had been £200 lower. I know it's hard to be specific without knowing the figures but anything you can tell me would be helpful. Many thanks
    Originally posted by talisay
    As it was done by direct credit to the council tax account then any 'excess' council tax benefit should simply taken off the account (it's a paper exercise), you'll not have to physically re-pay any council tax benefit.

For example
    Band A - £1000 charge
    Band B - £1200 charge and full CTB of £1200

When they drop it to band A they will credit £1000 of Council Tax Benefit and remove the other £200 direct from the account, no cash needs to be paid.

The amount of Council Tax Benefit didn't directly depend on the band - it was based solely on income etc. The only proviso was it obviously couldn't pay more than your actual Council Tax charge.

Craig
    Last edited by CIS; 24-03-2017 at 3:44 PM.
    • ammonite
    • By ammonite 29th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 8,397 Thanks
    ammonite
    My house is band C. My other neighbours in same size house are band C.

Two things that seem like I should be in B...

*My parents live close by in a slightly bigger house, their whole road is band B.

*Our house was bought in 1996 for £49k so should have been cheaper in 1991 prices. Surely band B?

Is it worth challenging? It would affect our house and three others in the road, the rest are different sizes and bands. Ours and one other has had an extension the other two haven't. The extension is why I thought we were band C but having looked at the other properties it seems we are C because we are the 3 bed semis
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 30th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 9,647 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    My house is band C. My other neighbours in same size house are band C.

Two things that seem like I should be in B...

*My parents live close by in a slightly bigger house, their whole road is band B.

*Our house was bought in 1996 for £49k so should have been cheaper in 1991 prices. Surely band B?

Is it worth challenging? It would affect our house and three others in the road, the rest are different sizes and bands. Ours and one other has had an extension the other two haven't. The extension is why I thought we were band C but having looked at the other properties it seems we are C because we are the 3 bed semis
    Originally posted by ammonite
    1996 prices in most areas were still below those of 1991. It wasn't until 1997/8 (or even 1999 in some areas) that after a long fall from 1988/89 to 1995, prices were at 1991 values.

You do not say what type of houses the Band Bs are in your road or your parents' house. There are so many things besides size which affect sale prices and thus CT bands.
    • Rickp
    • By Rickp 2nd Apr 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickp
    Hello all I'm new to this forum & I'm looking for advice. I'm trying to get my banding reduced. I've been on all the price comparison sites & they all come out roughly the same. I've checked on the Nationwide calculator on all the properties I've lived in since 1975. I've prices year on year as I lived there & I must say in was accurate to within 5% every time. So I contacted the valuation office & all they said was the site is generic & can't be used as evidence. So I went on Zoopla & search for properties similar to mine in my town. They went as far back as 1996 as nothing of a similar ilk was build pre 1991. Again the odds seem to be stacked in my favour. But the valuation office said I have to find a like for like property. So I happened to find 2 of them in my road. One was deemed too small to be like for like, the other is slightly larger than mine. The valuation office's response was the lower banding for this property is to do the circumstances of the property. In a former dwelling of mine I paid £53,000 for it in 1989. We wanted to modernise it the spring of 1991 & the mortgage company would release funding saying the price of the house had gone down to £48,000. In 1999 after modernisation costing over £5,000 I sold the house for £54,750. The very same property was sold 16 months ago for £148,000. There is a flat below me so on the same footprint for sale today at £58,950. Yet my 2 bedroom flat is in the same band as the 3 bed semi above sold for £148,000. Surely this can't be so. I fell like I'm going around in circles with the valuation office. Can anybody advise me on my next move. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Rick
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Apr 17, 2:51 PM
    • 9,647 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Can anybody advise me on my next move. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Originally posted by Rickp
    What is your current band, when did you buy your flat and for how much?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,362Posts Today

9,154Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin