Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 244
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 8th Sep 16, 1:53 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    What is the situation if the house was not actually build in 1991 but I believe the house was put into the wrong Council Tax band ? How can I find out the value of a house build after 1991 ?
    Originally posted by the.crazyone
    You can only ever get an approximation, house price indices and other online tools are inaccurate. Look for other similar houses nearby are they in the same or different bands.

Why do you think your band is wrong?
    • NorthernLights2c
    • By NorthernLights2c 14th Sep 16, 7:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NorthernLights2c
    Hi, Can anyone help?

We are challenging our council tax band, trouble is they have written back to say it is after the 6 month deadline of when we moved in. We were not aware that we can challenge,

We will appeal this initial decision, BUT are there any thing we can say to help our appeal, other we did nor know it had to be within 6 months of moving?

Thank you

Chris
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi, Can anyone help?

We are challenging our council tax band, trouble is they have written back to say it is after the 6 month deadline of when we moved in. We were not aware that we can challenge,

We will appeal this initial decision, BUT are there any thing we can say to help our appeal, other we did nor know it had to be within 6 months of moving?

Thank you

Chris
    Originally posted by NorthernLights2c
    No point appealing the outside 6 month time limit, you would be wasting your time, the time of the VOA and the time of the Valuation Tribunal. Saying you were unaware of the time limit will get you nowhere.

Basically if the appeal is out of time, that's it!

Much more productive would be to acknowledge the appeal is out of time, but ask the VOA if they would in any case, review the band. You should have a reason why you think the band is wrong and if you know of other similar houses in the vicinity in a lower band, you should provide details of these to the VOA.
    • stuarta99
    • By stuarta99 22nd Sep 16, 1:40 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stuarta99
    Hi there,

Not sure whether to claim on mine or not. Basically in my close there are a mixture of houses including some 3 bed terraced Band C's, semi D's like my own and some 4 bed Band E's. In the Exeter location, as far as I'm aware every other 3 bed semi is Band C, even including my parents house which is far larger, but for some reason ours is a D.

I've checked on the valuation site and tried a few figures before we purchased it in Sep 2013 for £190k which equates to £59,637 in the calculator, although it was on the market for £210k which is £65,915. The upper limit for the banding is £68,000.

I have claimed before on a Band B flat whereas every other flat is A and was rejected.

Can anyone advise?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 22nd Sep 16, 2:12 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    semi D's like my own and some 4 bed Band E's. In the Exeter location, as far as I'm aware every other 3 bed semi is Band C, even including my parents house which is far larger, but for some reason ours is a D.

Can anyone advise?
    Originally posted by stuarta99
    Ask why yours is Band D, when others (quote addresses) are Band C. As there is a possibility your parents' house may be underbanded, don't quote theirs!
    • stuarta99
    • By stuarta99 22nd Sep 16, 3:26 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stuarta99
    yeah not just my parents, I think the majority of 3 bed semis in Exeter are C. With regards my address it's the terraced that are C, semis D. I'll ask the question then
    • Daisypilk
    • By Daisypilk 24th Sep 16, 10:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daisypilk
    Can anyone advise please? Ive done the checl on MSE and whilst im in same band as neigbours, when i do the check on prices from 1991 i think we are banded too high. Is t worth the claim?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Can anyone advise please? Ive done the checl on MSE and whilst im in same band as neigbours, when i do the check on prices from 1991 i think we are banded too high. Is t worth the claim?
    Originally posted by Daisypilk
    All house price indices are inaccurate and tend to give too low a figure for 1991. Evidence of similar houses nearby in a lower band would be a better reason for a claim.
    • mongooseman
    • By mongooseman 26th Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mongooseman
    Shall I try???
    I bought my house in 02 for £37,000 and the calculator says it was worth £27,000 in 91.

Only problem is all the houses on my terrace which is a block of maybe 10 houses are in band B. Are they all wrong?? What should I do? Any Ideas??
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 26th Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I bought my house in 02 for £37,000 and the calculator says it was worth £27,000 in 91.

Only problem is all the houses on my terrace which is a block of maybe 10 houses are in band B. Are they all wrong?? What should I do? Any Ideas??
    Originally posted by mongooseman
    £37,000 seems low for a house in 2002. See if you can find any similar terrace houses nearby in Band A.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,912Posts Today

6,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin