Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Mortgages & Endowments > Buy To Let Offset Mortgage? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Buy To Let Offset Mortgage?
Views: 10,371
# 1
adam1982
Old 07-10-2010, 1:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Buy To Let Offset Mortgage?

Is there such as product as a buy to let offset mortgage?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to adam1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Thrugelmir
Old 07-10-2010, 2:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1982 View Post
Is there such as product as a buy to let offset mortgage?
Why do want an offset facility on a BTL mortgage?

Cheaper to borrow less money at the outset.
"The man who wishes to move a mountain begins by carrying away the small stones first."
# 3
adam1982
Old 07-10-2010, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

Because i have a property that wont sell at the moment and i currently have 82k outstanding mortgage. I want to pay off a further 40k and then have the remaining 40k on an offset buy to let. I would then keep another 40k in the offset account rather than tie it up at the moment.

If you think im talking 'b******s just say!

Last edited by adam1982; 07-10-2010 at 2:18 PM.
# 4
Thrugelmir
Old 07-10-2010, 2:52 PM

BTL mortgages come with an arrangement fee of 2% - 3.5% of the amount advanced. Or in the case of the post Office a flat 1,500.

You may find that BTL lenders won't be interested in a 40k advance. As there's insufficent profit for the trouble of lending. Higher initial fees discourage applications.
"The man who wishes to move a mountain begins by carrying away the small stones first."
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrugelmir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
adam1982
Old 07-10-2010, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

good point.

If i did want to look into this further is an offset buy to let mortgage actually possible?
# 6
Thrugelmir
Old 07-10-2010, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1982 View Post
good point.

If i did want to look into this further is an offset buy to let mortgage actually possible?
Not a huge number of lenders in the market.

Mortgage Works, Paragon, Post Office to name a few.

At least give you a feel for current product options.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrugelmir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
luckyfool
Old 07-10-2010, 3:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm not aware of any BTL lenders offering offset products, as there is virtually zero demand for it. Interest costs on the Buy to Let can be offset against the rental income, so for most people it is counterproductive to offset savings against the mortgage debt as it may increase any tax bill. If you want to be able to pay the lot off I would take a deal with no redemption penalties, or alternatively a good 2 yr fixed rate (or whatever type of deal suits) and just stick it in savings and pay the mortgage off at the end of the fixed rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyfool For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
adam1982
Old 07-10-2010, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for the replies guys!

I think based on your advice the interest only option would work out best.

One thing i am unsure of is if we have a buy to let mortgage does this effect how much we can borrow for our lived in house mortgage or do they treat it as a separate thing?
# 9
luckyfool
Old 07-10-2010, 4:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Completely separate as long as it is self financing.
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyfool For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Thrugelmir
Old 07-10-2010, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfool View Post
Completely separate as long as it is self financing.
Paragon use a 7% interest rate and a 130% of rental income on an interest only basis to determine this.

As far as I am aware highest in market place so a useful benchmark.
# 11
bwlv1
Old 22-09-2012, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi all, hope its ok to comment on such an old thread but you might be able to help me,

regarding an offset b2l mortgage, for example clydesdale banks current offering with no early repayment penalties etc, could this be a better option than a fixed rate that carries erc's, even if i dont offset anything against it it may save me if i renovate and wish to sell quick.

thanks for any replies
# 12
Gingerbullet
Old 29-05-2014, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Reigniting the offset & buy to let question

My husband and I currently have an offset on our home mortgage and as we have savings, have found it a great way to reduce interest on the loan. We're planning to live abroad for a couple of years and let the flat while we're away.
We'll be leaving our savings here so would like to continue using them to reduce mortgage interest. We'll need to convert to a buy-to-let while it's rented out.
Does anyone know of a lender who offers a buy-to-let offset mortgage? Thanks in advance.
# 13
kingstreet
Old 29-05-2014, 1:53 PM

Thanked 12,632 Times in 9,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerbullet View Post
My husband and I currently have an offset on our home mortgage and as we have savings, have found it a great way to reduce interest on the loan. We're planning to live abroad for a couple of years and let the flat while we're away.
We'll be leaving our savings here so would like to continue using them to reduce mortgage interest. We'll need to convert to a buy-to-let while it's rented out.
Does anyone know of a lender who offers a buy-to-let offset mortgage? Thanks in advance.
Ask your current lender if it will grant consent to let.

As mentioned earlier, mortgage interest is an allowable expense against the rental income, so offsetting means you will end up paying more tax on the surplus rent after expenses.
I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
# 14
supraman
Old 02-06-2014, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstreet View Post
As mentioned earlier, mortgage interest is an allowable expense against the rental income, so offsetting means you will end up paying more tax on the surplus rent after expenses.
Can you elaborate on this please?

I will give an example in the hope that it might identify any misunderstanding that I have:

Scenario 1: If I have a buy-to-let mortgage of 50,000 at a rate of 5% and an annual rental income of 6,000 then I have:

Interest: 5% x 50,000 = 2,500
Gross Profit: 6,000 - 2,500 = 3,500
Tax: 40% x 3,500 = 1,400
Net Profit: 3,500 - 1,400 = 2,100

Scenario 2: However, if I am able to offset 30,000 and effectively reduce the mortgage to 20,000 then I have:

Interest: 5% x 20,000 = 1,000
Gross Profit: 6,000 - 1,000 = 5,000
Tax: 40% x 5,000 = 2,000
Net Profit: 5,000 - 2,000 = 3,000

So, yes, I pay more tax, but only because I'm making more profit, which seems like a good thing. Am I missing something?

By the way, I realise that I could simply increase my deposit by 30,000 on a non-offset product, but I want to keep the money available for investing in other properties.

I also realise that in Scenario 1, the 30,000 could be invested in a bank account that pays interest, which would reduce the advantage of Scenario 2. However, the interest rate would be lower and I would have to pay 40% tax on that interest.
# 15
kingstreet
Old 02-06-2014, 6:55 PM

No, you're missing nothing.

There are no offset BTL products though.
I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingstreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
supraman
Old 02-06-2014, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstreet View Post
There are no offset BTL products though.
Well actually the Clydesdale Bank offer one. I was just about to apply for it when the adviser explained that, rather than reducing the interest, your monthly payment stays the same, but any excess becomes a capital repayment, even with an interest-only mortgage.

I was very disappointed as this seems to negate the benefit of offsetting your savings until you have a need for the money, most likely to buy another property.
# 17
kingstreet
Old 03-06-2014, 7:54 AM

That's not my definition of an offset mortgage. That's just a product which allows overpayments, which most products do anyway.