Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Xbert
    Target price for domestic heating oil
    • 1st Feb 05, 5:09 PM
    Target price for domestic heating oil 1st Feb 05 at 5:09 PM
    Insert From Martin

Where to find the cheapest fuel oil isn't easy. While gas & electricity price comparison services are common place, the same isn't true for fuel-oiled heating.

The discussion that follows is a merger or two that contained much information. The answer seems to be 'get lots of quotes, and don't believe the hype'.

In the third message of this discussion you will see a list of comparison sites, and then in the sixth a press release from a newly launched company. Please do enter the discussion, hopefully together as collective MoneySavers we'll find a solution.

Our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may also be helpful.

Martin

Original Post below....

I posted this first in the 'I wanna ..' forum, this looks more appropriate.
    First price is 24p/litre last week in Cornwall. I'm going to start getting some quotes for myself. If people think it's useful I'll put them up here. I know the suppliers respond to the spot market for oil, but at least some idea of what the going rate is might be useful to somebody, somewhere!

Quotes will be for 1000 litres of standard 28ps heating oil, excluding VAT.

Target price for domestic heating oil
    Does anybody know where to find target prices for domestic heating oil (1000 litres of 28ps)? It's pretty unrewarding phoning around all the distrbutors and the boilerjuice and greenwelly (yes really!) websites both returned prices that were worse than I could get straight off the bat.
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age of consumer regulation up the Ying-Yang there appears to be none that applies to heating oil.

Thanks.

First post so please be gentle with me!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 19-02-2014 at 1:14 PM.
Page 50
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Dec 17, 12:14 AM
    • 42,221 Posts
    • 49,015 Thanks
    G_M
    Ahh - thanks,

I thought it best to be open rather than try and do a "I've just found this site" type post.

I've submitted to MSE as a promo, so hopefully they can add it to this thread like the other,
    Apologies, I'll go and read the rules now.
    Originally posted by fuelz
    Have MSE now granted you permission to post? If so, you're required to add a signature saying so (or maybe MSE adds it for you - I'm not sure).

It's also a condition that your posts should provide practical advice and impartial facts rather than be in any way a means to further your commercial aims.
    • fuelz
    • By fuelz 7th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fuelz
    Reading the terms it would appear that as long as I don't overtly advertise (which I did on the first post, subsequently deleted) or include a link in a signature box I'm allowed to contribute.
    The rules state I can though post a link in my profile.

As mentioned, I've no way of making any money from this venture as it only shows prices and take no commission or revenue from the suppliers listed, it is completely impartial.

I have submitted a request to MSE but have yet to receive a reply.
    • fuelz
    • By fuelz 7th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fuelz
    Agree with what you've said (especially email spam - bring on GDPR in May), although I'm not sure many suppliers are tracking OMJ prices hourly. The whole point is to show that local is usually cheaper
    Thanks for giving it a whirl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

3,459Users online

Martin's Twitter