Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Xbert
    Target price for domestic heating oil
    • 1st Feb 05, 5:09 PM
    Target price for domestic heating oil 1st Feb 05 at 5:09 PM
    Insert From Martin

Where to find the cheapest fuel oil isn't easy. While gas & electricity price comparison services are common place, the same isn't true for fuel-oiled heating.

The discussion that follows is a merger or two that contained much information. The answer seems to be 'get lots of quotes, and don't believe the hype'.

In the third message of this discussion you will see a list of comparison sites, and then in the sixth a press release from a newly launched company. Please do enter the discussion, hopefully together as collective MoneySavers we'll find a solution.

Our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may also be helpful.

Martin

Original Post below....

I posted this first in the 'I wanna ..' forum, this looks more appropriate.
    First price is 24p/litre last week in Cornwall. I'm going to start getting some quotes for myself. If people think it's useful I'll put them up here. I know the suppliers respond to the spot market for oil, but at least some idea of what the going rate is might be useful to somebody, somewhere!

Quotes will be for 1000 litres of standard 28ps heating oil, excluding VAT.

Target price for domestic heating oil
    Does anybody know where to find target prices for domestic heating oil (1000 litres of 28ps)? It's pretty unrewarding phoning around all the distrbutors and the boilerjuice and greenwelly (yes really!) websites both returned prices that were worse than I could get straight off the bat.
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age of consumer regulation up the Ying-Yang there appears to be none that applies to heating oil.

Thanks.

First post so please be gentle with me!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 19-02-2014 at 1:14 PM.
Page 49
    • gamston
    • By gamston 6th Jan 17, 2:54 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    gamston
    cheapest I could get this time was 42.4 from woldlink,
    have to pay little extra as only the small tankers can get to my home
    Last edited by gamston; 07-01-2017 at 7:35 AM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Jan 17, 11:03 PM
    • 41,916 Posts
    • 48,508 Thanks
    G_M
    Today's price

£0.4095
    (pence per litre excluding vat [5% for Domestic use])

http://www.oil-club.co.uk/
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 8th May 17, 1:08 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Currently, Boilerjuice is quoting me 36.9 (inc VAT - 1,000 litres). This is a fair bit cheaper than my usual supplier.

Any views on the way prices are going and how this looks?
    • manda1205
    • By manda1205 8th May 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 6,489 Thanks
    manda1205
    Here in Norfolk it's 41p inc vat. It's been that price quite a few weeks now. Can't see it changing all that much at the moment. But as with oil you never know really.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 8th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Here in Norfolk it's 41p inc vat. It's been that price quite a few weeks now. Can't see it changing all that much at the moment. But as with oil you never know really.
    Originally posted by manda1205
    Well, the reason I asked was because there has supposed to have been a small collapse in oil prices and I was wondering if it had filtered through yet.

Thanks for the information, in any case. That's the sort of price my regular is quoting. For once, Boilerjuice is looking good.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 41,916 Posts
    • 48,508 Thanks
    G_M
    it seems to be dropping slightly, as are petrol prices, but who can say how far/how long?

Surprised by BJ - how many companies have you tried? And nowadays most suppliers have their own websites for ordering which is usually cheaper than ringing them.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    it seems to be dropping slightly, as are petrol prices, but who can say how far/how long?

Surprised by BJ - how many companies have you tried? And nowadays most suppliers have their own websites for ordering which is usually cheaper than ringing them.
    Originally posted by G_M
    I've tried all the ones I know about (ie the MSE list plus one or two others) and my main local supplier (who is sometimes the cheapest) doesn't offer an order site.

Actually, regarding BJ, a few years ago their prices were consistently high. I now find they compare very closely with the prices quoted by the much vaunted oil clubs. This week, the price seems to have risen by about 1p a litre but it looks like BJ will get the order as they are still cheapest this week. Bear on mind, it varies depending on where you live.
    • GeordieMullet
    • By GeordieMullet 25th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GeordieMullet
    42.5p/L inc. VAT today here in rural Aberdeenshire. Best I could haggle for 1500L.
    • enator
    • By enator 13th Jun 17, 11:06 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    enator
    Just paid 36.7p per litre inc VAT for 1,000 litres - prices seem to be moving in a narrow band at the moment.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 29th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    gonebust
    34 ppl incl vat Friday. Hopefully enough now till Christmas
    • Niv
    • By Niv 17th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Niv
    33ppl here, has been stable for a few weeks. Going to fill up now and like gonebust expecting it to last until christmas
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • fyr
    • By fyr 18th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    fyr
    Yes, paid just under that through our Oil Club; you can see price history here:
    http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
    Gel
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    As we're often quick to hand out criticism on MSE, here's a word or two of praise for Homefuelsdirect, a website I've never bought from before.

I've been tracking oil prices closely for a few weeks now as the level on my tank slowly dropped and with no obvious sign that prices were about to tumble, I bit the bullet and ordered from them on Tuesday. They were a fair bit cheaper than my usual local suppliers and also cheaper that Boilerjuice or Fueltool.

Interestingly, in the time it took me to note their price and call a couple of suppliers to see if they could match it, their price when I came to order had dropped almost a penny more, so I'd suggest you keep checking during the day.

Delivery took just two days and came from a firm called Certas - a very efficient operation and a cheerful driver.

I'm impressed, I must say - with the efficiency, the speed and, of course, the price.
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 16th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    Oh dear some one did read the rules on this forum not promoting your own web site fueXX
    • fuelz
    • By fuelz 16th Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fuelz
    Ahh - thanks,

I thought it best to be open rather than try and do a "I've just found this site" type post.

I've submitted to MSE as a promo, so hopefully they can add it to this thread like the other,
    Apologies, I'll go and read the rules now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

631Posts Today

4,951Users online

Martin's Twitter