Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Ross and Roberts Baliffs (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ross and Roberts Baliffs
Closed Thread
Views: 3,176
# 1
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 1:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Ross and Roberts Baliffs

If i have had a baliff trying to gain access to my property and through luck more then anything they haven't got in yet, would I be silly to meet with them and let them in my house?

Thanks
Bank Charges won £4,800 in 2006 From LloydsTSB

# 2
RAS
Old 04-10-2010, 2:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Completely daft. This would allow them to do a levy or Walking possession oprder and thereafter if you are one day late paying them can bring a van and are allowed to remove your belongings. They can also charge you a substantial fee for frightening the living daylights out of you - expect £100-150 for the van fee alone.
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
The Following User Says Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Heyman
Old 04-10-2010, 2:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't do it. Just keep all windows shut and doors locked and speak to them through the letterbox. Don't even let them in to make a phonecall or use the loo!

Maximum they can charge you without access is about £42 for two visits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 2:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I did call them to arrange a payment plan but all they do is point me to the baliff and to give him a call.

Will they pass back to the council if they can't gain access?

# 5
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyman View Post
Don't do it. Just keep all windows shut and doors locked and speak to them through the letterbox. Don't even let them in to make a phonecall or use the loo!

Maximum they can charge you without access is about £42 for two visits.
They charged me £182 last time they visited... and they have been chasing me for months and months now.

# 6
Sunnylooloo
Old 04-10-2010, 2:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi

try this website http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/ - it is run but a user Herbie21 or send a PM to RoberoMoir if you need some more personalised help?

sorry I am not very up on bailiffs
The worst cliques are those which consist of one man ~ George Bernard Shaw
Holiday Saving fund 2010 = £25.00 WeightLoss 2010 = +6lbs
BSC 292
June NSD 11 July NSD 15August NSD 14September 9 October 19November 15/11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnylooloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
hallowitch
Old 04-10-2010, 2:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

can you tell us what the debt is for council tax or parking ticket
# 8
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallowitch View Post
can you tell us what the debt is for council tax or parking ticket

It's for council tax

# 9
RAS
Old 04-10-2010, 5:37 PM

Good. That minimises the total bailiff fees to £42.50 for two visits as long as you keep them out of ther house.
The Following User Says Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
sofababe
Old 04-10-2010, 5:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobiesis View Post
They charged me £182 last time they visited... and they have been chasing me for months and months now.
They can only charge you £24.50 for the first visit and £18 subsequent visits. If they have charged you a van fee this is ridiculous as they can only take your goods if they have a WPO or have levied and they haven't. Report them to the council for a start, they are charging illegal fees.

How many times have they been to your house? And why aren't you paying? Can't or won't? If its won't you could get into very serious trouble i.e. be sent to prison If its can't then the council must be made aware and an arrangement made. Could you let us know the situation please?
# 11
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS View Post
Good. That minimises the total bailiff fees to £42.50 for two visits as long as you keep them out of ther house.
I have advised the Bailiff that I'm not giving him access to my property and I then called the Council who stated that I have to let them in, and I can't set it up over the telephone. She stated that if I refuse then Ross and Roberts are sending the debt back to the council where they will apply for an arrest warrant for me!!!

Then I called the CAB and they advised I don't have to let them issue a Levvy to arrange a payment with them...

What Should I do!

# 12
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofababe View Post
They can only charge you £24.50 for the first visit and £18 subsequent visits. If they have charged you a van fee this is ridiculous as they can only take your goods if they have a WPO or have levied and they haven't. Report them to the council for a start, they are charging illegal fees.

How many times have they been to your house? And why aren't you paying? Can't or won't? If its won't you could get into very serious trouble i.e. be sent to prison If its can't then the council must be made aware and an arrangement made. Could you let us know the situation please?
I lost my job a few months ago, and even though I've got another job I have not had any money to pay them it's that simple, I've asked the council to take the debt back but they refused.

I was originally charged 18 for a visit but then I was visited last week ( I was at work) and they'd charged me £160 odd quid. I want to make an arrangement, but I don't want them to come into my house.

# 13
dizzybuff
Old 04-10-2010, 5:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I lost my job a few months ago, and even though I've got another job I have not had any money to pay them it's that simple, I've asked the council to take the debt back but they refused.

I was originally charged 18 for a visit but then I was visited last week ( I was at work) and they'd charged me £160 odd quid. I want to make an arrangement, but I don't want them to come into my house.

Arrange to meet them at a mutually nutral place and take a freind with you or even a solicitor. Like a cafe. Unless they have a warrent you do not have to let them in . Even if they turn up with the police. No warrent = no comy ini .
ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me
The Following User Says Thank You to dizzybuff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybuff View Post
Arrange to meet them at a mutually nutral place and take a freind with you or even a solicitor. Like a cafe. Unless they have a warrent you do not have to let them in . Even if they turn up with the police. No warrent = no comy ini .
But if I do not agree to let them in, they're sending it back to the council and then it goes back to court again! He said I would be arrested over the debt if I don't complete the monthly payment form with him, and it HAS to be in my house...

# 15
RAS
Old 04-10-2010, 5:51 PM

Quote:
I have advised the Bailiff that I'm not giving him access to my property !
Good

Quote:
and I then called the Council who stated that I have to let them in, and I can't set it up over the telephone. !
Do you have the name of this person, becauser you need to make a formal complaint avbout them. They are lying.

Quote:
She stated that if I refuse then Ross and Roberts are sending the debt back to the council where they will apply for an arrest warrant for me!!! !
That is complete boolocks. If the debt is sent back and you refuse long-term to pay anything off the debt, they will take you to court. If you still refuse to pay after the court case, then you could be committed to prison. I think it has happened a handful of times when people had an axe to grind.

Quote:
Then I called the CAB and they advised I don't have to let them issue a Levvy to arrange a payment with them... !
They are correct

Quote:
What Should I do!
Right, ring back and ask to speak to the same person at the Council, ask them their name and job title. Then ask them the same questions, then tell them you are goign to ask the same questions and reciord their answers. See what happens.

Then get hold of your lcoal councillor and complain like mad as the Council officer are acting illegally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
sofababe
Old 04-10-2010, 5:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

A liability order must have been issued. How much CT do you actually owe? You must start paying something or you will be sent to prison. Don't let the bailiffs in. EVER. Send payment to the council by e-payment. If you have online banking you should be able to do this. If you are working why do you have no money for CT? If you on a low wage you should qualify for CTB. If you have other debts then they will have to wait. They can't send you to prison, Council Tax avoidance can.
# 17
dizzybuff
Old 04-10-2010, 5:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
But if I do not agree to let them in, they're sending it back to the council and then it goes back to court again! He said I would be arrested over the debt if I don't complete the monthly payment form with him, and it HAS to be in my house...
Scare mongering at the worst .

You have agreed to meet them . What ever you do do not let them in your house.

As the post above states complain to r MP , councillor etc.
ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me
The Following User Says Thank You to dizzybuff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
RAS
Old 04-10-2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofababe View Post
A You must start paying something or you will be sent to prison. Don't let the bailiffs in. EVER. Send payment to the council by e-payment. If you have online banking you should be able to do this. If you are working why do you have no money for CT? .
It is legaly possible but very very very rare for anyone to be sent to prison for CT non-payment unless they are making a political statement.

OP, you need to make on-line payments if possible, or send the bailiffs a cheque.

Otherwise, put the money in a separate account and if it went to court, they would be stuffed if you produced a statment showing that you had been saving money towards the debt and prevented from paying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS View Post
Good

Do you have the name of this person, becauser you need to make a formal complaint avbout them. They are lying.

That is complete boolocks. If the debt is sent back and you refuse long-term to pay anything off the debt, they will take you to court. If you still refuse to pay after the court case, then you could be committed to prison. I think it has happened a handful of times when people had an axe to grind.

They are correct

Right, ring back and ask to speak to the same person at the Council, ask them their name and job title. Then ask them the same questions, then tell them you are goign to ask the same questions and reciord their answers. See what happens.

Then get hold of your lcoal councillor and complain like mad as the Council officer are acting illegally.
Thank you so much for your advice, I'll call the council back tomorrow and ask for her name, and I will also start paying the council with my ref number so that it shows I'm willing to pay the bill and then I'll go to court again and hopefully it'll work itself out without bailiff fees.

Thank you all for your support, the first place I came too when it happend and I'm so glad that this site is here... I can't thank you all enough.

# 20
doobiesis
Old 04-10-2010, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybuff View Post
Scare mongering at the worst .

You have agreed to meet them . What ever you do do not let them in your house.

As the post above states complain to r MP , councillor etc.
I have just drafted an email which I am going to send when I have the lady at the council who I spoke to today.

Thanks

Closed Thread