Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    flyingpig58
    Christmas Crafting Ideas .... Its Good To Share.
    • 2nd Oct 10, 12:45 PM
    Christmas Crafting Ideas .... Its Good To Share. 2nd Oct 10 at 12:45 PM
    THIS IS A THREAD I STARTED QUITE SOME TIME AGO NOW .... THE IDEAS ARE STILL HERE FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS THEM .... ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK I WILL BE ADDING TO IT THIS YEAR.

ANY PDF FILES I HAVE OFFERED IN THE PAST ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE AS I LOST THEM WHEN MY COMPUTER "DIED" AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR ..... SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR THEM AS I NO LONGER HAVE THEM. THE THREAD IS NOW TOO LONG FOR ME TO TRAWL THROUGH TO REMOVE ANY OFFERS, THOUGH I HAVE TRIED MY BEST.

I ALSO CANNOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ON RULES/THE LAW ABOUT SELLING ITEMS OF CONFECTIONERY AT XMAS FAYRES ETC. BUT IF IN DOUBT SELL ITEMS CONTAINING SWEETS (JELLY BEANS, SMARTIES, MARSHMALLOWS ETC) WITH A PRINTED COPY OF THE INGREDIENTS. ALWAYS USE GLOVES WHEN HANDLING UNWRAPPED SWEETS AND THE USE OF A PROPER BAG SEALER WILL HOLD FRESHNESS AND PREVENT CONTAMINATION.
    THE SELLING OF FOOD ITEMS AT FAYRES ETC. IS ALWAYS A CONTENTIOUS ISSUE.

Not everyone has the time to trawl through Google and other search engines looking for inspiration for simple Christmas ideas, cards and gifts to make - so I thought I would start a thread featuring some of the ideas that I have found and have taken inspiration from over the years ...... I cannot really claim any of the ideas are my own, just my take on them. I hope its OK that I keep to mainly pictures ....... it's good to share!

This is my Flip Over Advent Calendar that I will use on my Festive work desk this year.

Made using a Zutter Bind It All
    Last edited by flyingpig58; 15-09-2012 at 3:52 PM.
Page 2
    • sunrise27
    • By sunrise27 3rd Oct 10, 8:40 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    sunrise27

These letters are from HobbyCraft and cost about £1.75 but I have added "Say it With Studs" self adhesive embellishments by Prima to them and a ribbon tag.

I gave them as a small token gift instead of a card last Christmas to some of the girls at work.- and will be making a few more this year.

I like to give people something at Christmas to hang on their tree instead of a card. A card is soon discarded but a tree decoration comes out year after year.
    Originally posted by flyingpig58

I think these letters may be reduced to 74p at the moment
    as you know I love your blog and I'm a daily visitor
    I want to make chocolate spoons this year do they have to be plastic or can I use metal ones ???
    • sunrise27
    • By sunrise27 3rd Oct 10, 8:42 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    sunrise27
    love these are they the thin long bars of chocolate ??
    • sunrise27
    • By sunrise27 3rd Oct 10, 8:47 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    sunrise27

This is a simple gift to give instead of a card .... its a translucent bauble that I have just put a word in ...... I used "wish" but it could be any word that means anything to you.

I just found a font I liked and printed the word off ..... ripped the paper round it for a "torn" effect and then sprinkled with a translucent fine glitter ..... simple, easy and quick ..

The baubles were from Paperchase - for no more than 50p each (they also did boxes of 9) -

You can't buy a card for that price ..... and it's a lasting gift.
    I don't know if they'd be any good but there are packs of ten ( I think ) glass baubles in hobbycraft for £1.99 - I keep picking them up thinking I could decorate them but then I'm not sure if I'd be any good at it so I put them down - I might just have to buy them this week an have a go at this , the only worry I have is that you say tearing the wording round the edges but I know I would end up tearing it in half and it would look like a five year old did it lol
    did you sprinkle the wording with glitter or put the glitter in the bauble ??
  • Tiara
    Where do you get the penguin/ reindeer/ snowman embellishments from for the poop bags please? They look really fab!
  • mary-op
    flyingpig............love the bauble idea but how do you undo the bauble to get the paper inside ?
    Be nice idea for my grandchildren to have one of these with their name in
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • flyingpig58
    Hi ..... just to answer a few questions left here.....

Hi Sunrise .....I didn't know the ceramic letters had been reduced to 74p - what a bargain!!! I can see no reason why you couldn't use "real" metal spoons for chocolate spoons. This year I have found silver plastic spoons for mine.

The chocolate bars are large home brand Co-op chocolate bars - though if I were making them again I think I would wait until there was an offer on Cadbury's or Galaxy as they do taste better.

I have seen and bought a set of the Darice baubles from HoobyCraft at £1.99 for 10 or 12 I can't remember they are a bargain.

As to tearing the words ..... it is tricky, that is why I print off a lot more than I need ..... but you could always cut them using wobbly lines.

I applied the glitter round the edges of the words using a Sakura glue pen (I think Hobbycrafts have them) they are brilliant for applying small amounts of glitter acuratley.

Hi Tiara ..... the stickers came from Accessorize ..... I know its a fashion shop but their stickers, found amongst the girls stuff are BRILLIANT. I am waiting with baited breathe to see what they bring out this year ....... they cost £1.75 a packet and are just the right size for the sweetie bags.

Hi Mary -Op - I think you will find that the tops of most glass baubles come off quite easily ..... as I said above the Darice baubles in HobbyCraft would be good for you to use. I might copy your idea if I may and make some for all the babies of friends born this year.

I hope I have answered everyones questions OK.

helen
    • sunrise27
    • By sunrise27 4th Oct 10, 11:07 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    sunrise27
    thanks Helen x sorry for all the questions but I am always in awe of the ideas you come up with
    I've said it before and I'll say it again you are an inspiration to us all x x x
  • Cotton wool katie
    hi everyone - flyingpig your toppers are great i have been trying to make my own by cutting them out as i dont have a die cut machine and and i think yours look amazing i wish i had a die cut machine here is a pic of mine but they are not half as good as yours

Infact they look absolutly s@*t at the side of yours

any help would appricate it
    I have 2 gorgeous kids
    • Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 4th Oct 10, 1:13 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    this thread is fab,ive made some reindeer poop,my daughters pre-school have said i can set a table up after this half term and sell some of my stuff.
    heres a pic,there is one spelling mistake but that is easy enough to fix,didn't notice till id stuck it on oops

• Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 4th Oct 10, 1:18 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    Hi flyingpig
    can i ask u a few questions,what do u price your items at,mainly the sweeties?
    what do u call the white bon bons once u have bagged them up?

as u can see ive added a pic of my reindeer poop,your stuff is fab
    Hollie
  • mary-op
    flyingpig - thanks. Our nearest hobbycraft is 20 miles away but often baubles are in the charity shops so I might find something there.
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
    • lilmiss1982
    • By lilmiss1982 4th Oct 10, 8:41 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    lilmiss1982
    Thanks flyingpig58 for starting this thread, your blog is fab, i'm loving your christmas bauble and will be trying to make something similar if I can find a bauble.

This idea came from PootleFlump on another thread on this board

Ideas on how to wrap a chocolate orange

Why dont you wrap in brown paper, cut some antlers out of light brown card and tape them on (insert them into the brown paper you are wrapping it in and tape from the inside), use a black marker to put some eyes on it (or get sticky on googly ones) and then put a little red pom pom on the front so it looks like rudolf (albeit a very roudn fat faced rudolf.)
    This is my first attempt which i'm really pleased with. I got my chocolate orange 2 for £3 at Asda today but I'm hoping to find some at £1 before making anymore.

For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy Ė itís blood. Please donít let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate giftÖ give blood.
  • flyingpig58
    Hi Hollie84

The white bonbons are "snowballs"

I would charge about 75p for the sweetie bags - I get a lot of my sweets from Poundland/Poundworld - and so I can make at least 4/5 bags of "snowballs" from one big bag and the same if not more with the poop (raisins)
  • flyingpig58
    I love the chocolate orange! I think reindeers are one of the easiest characters to play with for christmas ideas,

This is a covered Cadbury choc bar, the thin one - think Home Bargains sell packs of 6 for 99p
  • flyingpig58

This is what they call a sour cream carton, goodness knows why! I have used a brown paper and then drawn the darker strips on it.
    Last edited by flyingpig58; 07-10-2010 at 10:15 PM.
  • flyingpig58

Two candy canes, some red ribbon, a jingle bell and a tag - done!
  • flyingpig58
    Cookie Cutters ....... can't get any simpler than these ..... At Xmas Fayres .... I'd charge £1.00 - Last Year Dunelm sold the most reasonably priced sets of cookie cutters.

• Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 4th Oct 10, 10:10 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    Hi Hollie84

The white bonbons are "snowballs"

I would charge about 75p for the sweetie bags - I get a lot of my sweets from Poundland/Poundworld - and so I can make at least 4/5 bags of "snowballs" from one big bag and the same if not more with the poop (raisins)
    ah snowballs having one of them days today where my brain doesn't function
    i love the sweetie bags,going to have to pinch them ideas for my stall at the my daughters school. and i think i will change the price of my raisins aswell 75p sounds alot more reasonable thankyou so much this thread is fab and i love the other bits u have recently added
    • flourgirl
    • By flourgirl 4th Oct 10, 10:10 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 44,884 Thanks
    flourgirl
    Thanks flyingpig58 for starting this thread, your blog is fab, i'm loving your christmas bauble and will be trying to make something similar if I can find a bauble.

This idea came from PootleFlump on another thread on this board

Ideas on how to wrap a chocolate orange

This is my first attempt which i'm really pleased with. I got my chocolate orange 2 for £3 at Asda today but I'm hoping to find some at £1 before making anymore.

Originally posted by lilmiss1982

This looks great. In Sainsburys today Chocolate Oranges were £2 each but on BOGOF, so I liberated a few lol
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 4th Oct 10, 10:26 PM
    • 14,155 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I think the Rudolfs from choc oranges are supposed to be out of the box before you wrap them? *looking a little mildly confused* - I could be wrong though!
    Some great ideas!
    What I want to know is how you seal the sweetie bags and what font is it you use - I LOVE it
    National Debtline | Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) |Find your local CAB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,755Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter