Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Christmas & Other Yuletide Festivals > Christmas Crafting Ideas by Flyingpig - Its Good ... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Christmas Crafting Ideas by Flyingpig - Its Good To Share.
Views: 608,343
# 21
sunrise27
Old 03-10-2010, 8:40 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig58 View Post

These letters are from HobbyCraft and cost about 1.75 but I have added "Say it With Studs" self adhesive embellishments by Prima to them and a ribbon tag.

I gave them as a small token gift instead of a card last Christmas to some of the girls at work.- and will be making a few more this year.

I like to give people something at Christmas to hang on their tree instead of a card. A card is soon discarded but a tree decoration comes out year after year.

I think these letters may be reduced to 74p at the moment
as you know I love your blog and I'm a daily visitor
I want to make chocolate spoons this year do they have to be plastic or can I use metal ones ???
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sunrise27 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
sunrise27
Old 03-10-2010, 8:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
love these are they the thin long bars of chocolate ??
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sunrise27 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
sunrise27
Old 03-10-2010, 8:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

This is a simple gift to give instead of a card .... its a translucent bauble that I have just put a word in ...... I used "wish" but it could be any word that means anything to you.

I just found a font I liked and printed the word off ..... ripped the paper round it for a "torn" effect and then sprinkled with a translucent fine glitter ..... simple, easy and quick ..

The baubles were from Paperchase - for no more than 50p each (they also did boxes of 9) -

You can't buy a card for that price ..... and it's a lasting gift.
I don't know if they'd be any good but there are packs of ten ( I think ) glass baubles in hobbycraft for 1.99 - I keep picking them up thinking I could decorate them but then I'm not sure if I'd be any good at it so I put them down - I might just have to buy them this week an have a go at this , the only worry I have is that you say tearing the wording round the edges but I know I would end up tearing it in half and it would look like a five year old did it lol
did you sprinkle the wording with glitter or put the glitter in the bauble ??
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sunrise27 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Tiara
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Where do you get the penguin/ reindeer/ snowman embellishments from for the poop bags please? They look really fab!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tiara For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
mary-op
Old 03-10-2010, 4:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

flyingpig............love the bauble idea but how do you undo the bauble to get the paper inside ?
Be nice idea for my grandchildren to have one of these with their name in
I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mary-op For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
flyingpig58
Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi ..... just to answer a few questions left here.....

Hi Sunrise .....I didn't know the ceramic letters had been reduced to 74p - what a bargain!!! I can see no reason why you couldn't use "real" metal spoons for chocolate spoons. This year I have found silver plastic spoons for mine.

The chocolate bars are large home brand Co-op chocolate bars - though if I were making them again I think I would wait until there was an offer on Cadbury's or Galaxy as they do taste better.

I have seen and bought a set of the Darice baubles from HoobyCraft at 1.99 for 10 or 12 I can't remember they are a bargain.

As to tearing the words ..... it is tricky, that is why I print off a lot more than I need ..... but you could always cut them using wobbly lines.

I applied the glitter round the edges of the words using a Sakura glue pen (I think Hobbycrafts have them) they are brilliant for applying small amounts of glitter acuratley.

Hi Tiara ..... the stickers came from Accessorize ..... I know its a fashion shop but their stickers, found amongst the girls stuff are BRILLIANT. I am waiting with baited breathe to see what they bring out this year ....... they cost 1.75 a packet and are just the right size for the sweetie bags.

Hi Mary -Op - I think you will find that the tops of most glass baubles come off quite easily ..... as I said above the Darice baubles in HobbyCraft would be good for you to use. I might copy your idea if I may and make some for all the babies of friends born this year.

I hope I have answered everyones questions OK.

helen
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to flyingpig58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
sunrise27
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks Helen x sorry for all the questions but I am always in awe of the ideas you come up with
I've said it before and I'll say it again you are an inspiration to us all x x x
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sunrise27 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
Cotton wool katie
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi everyone - flyingpig your toppers are great i have been trying to make my own by cutting them out as i dont have a die cut machine and and i think yours look amazing i wish i had a die cut machine here is a pic of mine but they are not half as good as yours

Infact they look absolutly s@*t at the side of yours

any help would appricate it
I have 2 gorgeous kids
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Cotton wool katie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Hollie84
Old 04-10-2010, 1:13 PM

this thread is fab,ive made some reindeer poop,my daughters pre-school have said i can set a table up after this half term and sell some of my stuff.
heres a pic,there is one spelling mistake but that is easy enough to fix,didn't notice till id stuck it on oops

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hollie84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Hollie84
Old 04-10-2010, 1:18 PM

Hi flyingpig
can i ask u a few questions,what do u price your items at,mainly the sweeties?
what do u call the white bon bons once u have bagged them up?

as u can see ive added a pic of my reindeer poop,your stuff is fab
Hollie
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hollie84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
mary-op
Old 04-10-2010, 5:54 PM

flyingpig - thanks. Our nearest hobbycraft is 20 miles away but often baubles are in the charity shops so I might find something there.
I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mary-op For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
lilmiss1982
Old 04-10-2010, 8:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks flyingpig58 for starting this thread, your blog is fab, i'm loving your christmas bauble and will be trying to make something similar if I can find a bauble.

This idea came from PootleFlump on another thread on this board

Ideas on how to wrap a chocolate orange

Quote:
Why dont you wrap in brown paper, cut some antlers out of light brown card and tape them on (insert them into the brown paper you are wrapping it in and tape from the inside), use a black marker to put some eyes on it (or get sticky on googly ones) and then put a little red pom pom on the front so it looks like rudolf (albeit a very roudn fat faced rudolf.)
This is my first attempt which i'm really pleased with. I got my chocolate orange 2 for 3 at Asda today but I'm hoping to find some at 1 before making anymore.

For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy its blood. Please dont let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift give blood.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to lilmiss1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
flyingpig58
Old 04-10-2010, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Hollie84

The white bonbons are "snowballs"

I would charge about 75p for the sweetie bags - I get a lot of my sweets from Poundland/Poundworld - and so I can make at least 4/5 bags of "snowballs" from one big bag and the same if not more with the poop (raisins)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to flyingpig58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
flyingpig58
Old 04-10-2010, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I love the chocolate orange! I think reindeers are one of the easiest characters to play with for christmas ideas,

This is a covered Cadbury choc bar, the thin one - think Home Bargains sell packs of 6 for 99p
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to flyingpig58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
flyingpig58
Old 04-10-2010, 9:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This is what they call a sour cream carton, goodness knows why! I have used a brown paper and then drawn the darker strips on it.

Last edited by flyingpig58; 07-10-2010 at 10:15 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to flyingpig58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
flyingpig58
Old 04-10-2010, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Two candy canes, some red ribbon, a jingle bell and a tag - done!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to flyingpig58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
flyingpig58
Old 04-10-2010, 9:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cookie Cutters ....... can't get any simpler than these ..... At Xmas Fayres .... I'd charge 1.00 - Last Year Dunelm sold the most reasonably priced sets of cookie cutters.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to flyingpig58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Hollie84
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Hi Hollie84

The white bonbons are "snowballs"

I would charge about 75p for the sweetie bags - I get a lot of my sweets from Poundland/Poundworld - and so I can make at least 4/5 bags of "snowballs" from one big bag and the same if not more with the poop (raisins)
ah snowballs having one of them days today where my brain doesn't function
i love the sweetie bags,going to have to pinch them ideas for my stall at the my daughters school. and i think i will change the price of my raisins aswell 75p sounds alot more reasonable thankyou so much this thread is fab and i love the other bits u have recently added
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hollie84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
flourgirl
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmiss1982 View Post
Thanks flyingpig58 for starting this thread, your blog is fab, i'm loving your christmas bauble and will be trying to make something similar if I can find a bauble.

This idea came from PootleFlump on another thread on this board

Ideas on how to wrap a chocolate orange

This is my first attempt which i'm really pleased with. I got my chocolate orange 2 for 3 at Asda today but I'm hoping to find some at 1 before making anymore.

This looks great. In Sainsburys today Chocolate Oranges were 2 each but on BOGOF, so I liberated a few lol
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to flourgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
MrsTinks
Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think the Rudolfs from choc oranges are supposed to be out of the box before you wrap them? *looking a little mildly confused* - I could be wrong though!
Some great ideas!
What I want to know is how you seal the sweetie bags and what font is it you use - I LOVE it
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrsTinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>