Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,050Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 610
    • moonlustie
    • By moonlustie 30th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    moonlustie
    Just put mine on low tonight as it feels chilly
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 30th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    No heating yet and we are off out this evening so none today, but we did light a fire yesterday and burned a whole 4 logs!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 31st Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Yesterday was cold, so put heating on for 1 hour, and to make sure it works before it gets really cold, it has been warmer today so not been on!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Spamtastic
    • By Spamtastic 1st Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Spamtastic
    Ours went on today. I'm really chuffed we lasted until November.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 2nd Nov 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,444 Thanks
    Caterina
    On now but not all day. No point to put it on timer because, now we are both retired, we get up at different times each day, depending on how (lazy) we feel!

Usually DH puts it on for half hour when he feeds the cat and we use the warmth to have a shower. Then we're out and about and don't need it. It might go back on early evening before we get the woodstove going. Once that's on the CH is switched off. The radiators in the spare rooms are closed, unless one of our children visit. Our bedroom radiator is permanently closed, as I hate the dryness of the air at night, unless its really freezing. But because our bedroom is upstairs from the living room where the woodstove is, and it shares a chimney, it's usually reasonably warm up there. Also it's South facing so naturally warmer.
    Last edited by Caterina; 02-11-2017 at 8:42 AM.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Still off, but the electric heater was on in the bathroom this morning (doesn't seem worth firing up the oil boiler for an hour) and we lit a log-fire yesterday afternoon/evening. Need to watch this - we immediately suspended all productivity and simply slobbed in front of the fire!
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 6th Nov 17, 1:32 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    simonineaston
    You'll all laugh, I expect, but... I recently moved to a new-ish build and encouraged by the B energy rating, thought I'd treat myself to a burst of the ol' gas-fired CH! Imagine then, my consternation when faced with the complexities of boiler timer & not one but two room thermostats as well as rtvs on many of the rad.s, I simply gave up and turned it all off!
    Now it's not as if I'm technologically ignorant - I achieved high marks in my BTEC qualifications and worked for a while as a medical physics technician, but the multiple variables of a modern central heating system is enough to make a grown man cry.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Nov 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    You'll all laugh, I expect, but... I recently moved to a new-ish build and encouraged by the B energy rating, thought I'd treat myself to a burst of the ol' gas-fired CH! Imagine then, my consternation when faced with the complexities of boiler timer & not one but two room thermostats as well as rtvs on many of the rad.s, I simply gave up and turned it all off!
    Now it's not as if I'm technologically ignorant - I achieved high marks in my BTEC qualifications and worked for a while as a medical physics technician, but the multiple variables of a modern central heating system is enough to make a grown man cry.
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    If memory serves,
    1. set the timer first, setting hot water to constant and heating to auto
    2. turn both room thermostats to your desired temperature
    3. turn all the rad valves to maximum
    4. then monitor for hot/cold spots and adjust rad valves then room thermostats as necessary

HTH
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 6,749 Posts
    • 47,410 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Must say ours is on - I work at home and spent several years wrapping up in my OH's dressing gown in a cold room that got little sun in order to try and save £ towards a deposit. I pretty much did the same thing last year, being cold during the day and not putting the heating on til OH came home at night.

So this year I've thrown caution to the wind for a bit and 'treated' myself to working in the warm for a bit. We've also had a few evenings with the gas fire on (heating off in the rest of the house) Dread the next bill but i'll cut back elsewhere if need be.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Nov 17, 6:39 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 34,160 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We put cental heating on today, an hour in the morning and 2 evening - toasty now
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Still no central heating on here and lots of lovely wooly clothing getting a bit of use before we do turn it on
    • Lance De Boils
    • By Lance De Boils 9th Nov 17, 11:15 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Lance De Boils
    Mine is on now. Trying to hold out for a while longer just made me feel a bit, well, Ebenezer Scroogey..
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Nov 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I woke up too hot in the night as it is suddenly quite mild! The upstairs heater is switched off today.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 10th Nov 17, 10:44 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 3,124 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    We haven't had to turn ours on yet. We have gas fired central heating.

We are in a flat block on the 1st floor with many of the other residents being elderly so we think as they tend to feel the cold more, everyone else has their heating on thus keeping us well insulated
    • mrsr
    • By mrsr 10th Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    mrsr
    Mine is now on in the morning for a hour.

Using my heated throw in the evening while watching tele ,dogs curled up under one end me the other .
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Nov 17, 11:38 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I resorted to a hot water bottle last night. This was because my feet were cold. I didn't really notice I was getting cold until it was bed time. None today though but the little oil filled electric radiator has been on for a while under my desk
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 4th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    chickens11
    Ive had my GCH timed for 5.30 am , i then turn it off and on as I need it throughtout the day ........Im working quite a bit so I flick it on as soon as I get in , then when the bungalow is up to 21 degrees I light the fire for the evening and the GCH goes off , cant beat a real fire , but GCH is so good for instant heat .......Living in Suffolk is the driest part of the country and usually the mildest , but we all need heat ......
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 4th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 23,361 Posts
    • 90,783 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Just put it on full blast for a couple of hours. It'll be fine upstairs, as that's always warmer, but down here, it's open plan and very cold (the thermostat claims it to be about 5 Celsius at present).

Can't think of many more pathetic memories than being over the moon when it snowed as a kid - not because of snowmen and snowball fights, but because there would be a quarter inch thick layer of ice on the inside of the windows and all the draughts through the walls and chimneys (no fires, just open fireplaces that weren't used) would be blocked for a couple of days.

I'm hugely taken by the notion of a heated blanket, but the OH is more concerned about the risk of fire than the risk of hypothermia. So until he has a change of heart, it's woolly hats on indoors and a massive chunky knit cardie given to me by a friend.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 9th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    chickens11
    Definitely on , its god damn freezing ........Just turned the GCH off as im in the one room this time of day and its pointless heating whole of house when im not using it .....I have a lovely wood and coal fire roaring away , just put the christmas tree up and lit some lovely smelly candles , thats me happy and very cosy for the evening now....Keep warm...
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Mine is still off - but not from choice. We have a broken CH pump. Sitting here with a little oil rad between my knees and having lots of early nights involving hot water bottles. We heard on Friday the parts are in but nobody available to do the repair until Thursday (because it involves draining down the whole system and will take 4 hours). Going out again for the middle of the day. We will be running the bar in the Village Hall as our Community contribution of the week
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,962Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter