Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,050Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 608
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I decided to thoroughly flush our heating system out at the beginning of September so recommissioned the boiler early.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Is this a DIY job or must it be done by a CORGI-registered plumber? (Sorry to be a bit thick, but I assume flushing it through means the tank and radiators are cleared of sludge, and the boiler is unaffected apart from the obvious efficiency gain).

Its still lovely and warm, but breezy. This time of the year is excellent walking weather!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 2nd Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 4,909 Thanks
    Biggles
    The pilot light uses a surprising amount of gas and would be burning for no purpose.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Wow, yours still has a pilot light? It must be pretty ancient; my boiler was fitted 35 years ago and I thought they had already phased pilot lights out by then.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Wow, yours still has a pilot light? It must be pretty ancient; my boiler was fitted 35 years ago and I thought they had already phased pilot lights out by then.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Mine has one too...16 years old and counting!

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 2nd Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    • 5,671 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Not sure about pilot light but mine is only 3 years old. It clicks on ever half hour or so for a few seconds to pre heat water I think, depending on temp. I've never shut it down before. Combi boiler.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:04 AM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Still off here although I have boosted it for an hour every few days or so this last week
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Mine went on for a while a few weeks ago and was switched off almost the next day!

It's still off, but it was more chilly last night.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 4th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    Still off, but had it on when I had a friend staying over the other weekend and also I've had it on for an hour couple of mornings to warm up the house. Got an electric blanket though to keep me warm when sitting down
    MFW Dec 2017 £290 (almost there!!!)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 15,627 Posts
    • 127,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    No still off at the moment but down here in the south we are having an indian summer at the moment and have sunshine almost daily ,albeit the temps rise to around 16c so its still quite mild at the moment I had my system power flushed last year and it cost me £600.00. but my insurance cover insisted it was done by a registered corgi plumber and it was certificated .As its the first time in 22 years its been done it was well worth it and my heating does run far more efficiently now
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Oct 17, 7:50 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    No still off at the moment but down here in the south we are having an indian summer at the moment and have sunshine almost daily
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Its been lovely but I have noticed that it has cooled off quite a bit in the evenings, and is feeling distinctly autumnal now. Good walking weather though, nice and breezy!

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 5th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,392 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Outside Air Temperature this morning was 7C. Thermostatic time switch turned on heating. Thus no condensate will I rocked in the shower this morning.
    Elect 3,300 kWh, Gas 12,100 to 13,000 kWh per year. Fixed to December 18 at £75 a month.

Don't worry about the running as I know this is what it will be, unless winter is exceptionally cold!

Thermostatic time switch ensures I have no cold or condensate areas in BoP palace!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 5th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 10,146 Thanks
    KxMx
    Still off.

Living room or bedrooms haven't dropped below 17c and are often 19 or 20.

We have no timers or temperature controls; it gets put on for 20-60 minutes when very cold, 15.5 is the minimum we would consider putting it on.

We do layers of clothes and blankets on knees as a normal routine.

I did get the winter duvet out the other night, because although I wasn't cold, I wasn't comfortable either.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 5th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    I gave up and put it on lol
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    We're on storage heaters and at the moment all are still off. We are having new windows and doors fitted later this month, all being well, and hopefully this will make the place substantially warmer in any event as the current windows have a lot of blown units and doors are old and so less well insulated than modern equivalents. Having said all that, it's still warm enough over in our bit of East Anglia that we're able to open windows a fair bit to let the place air, and the summer weight duvet remains on the bed...

I have been sticking a jumper on in the evenings though, so it's not *that* warm!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 15,627 Posts
    • 127,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    snuggle blankets that go around my knees with a hot water bottle if its nippy under my feet will help keep me warm if it gets nippy in the evenings I like to try to keep it off as long as I can then if we do get a really cold January/ February I will have it on a lot longer.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 6th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    YorksLass
    We're on storage heaters
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    You have my sympathy! We used to have them many years ago when we lived in an all-electric property and, even though we were on Economy 7, they cost a fortune to run. Lovely and warm in the mornings when we got up but, being out at work all day, we didn't really feel any benefit when we got home as all the heat had gone and we'd end up having to put an electric fire on in the evenings. Now on gas central heating with a combi boiler, it's much better.

Here in Yorkshire, daytime temperatures are hovering around 13C and at night it's in single figures. It's not unbearably cold yet and we do put on extra layers of clothing, use throws, draw curtains before dark etc before resorting to turning it on, but it's definitely not comfortable without it. So, yes, ours is on for about 30 mins in the morning when we get up, another 30 mins in the middle of the day and then for however long we need it in the evening (about an hour at the moment). It's only on in the lounge and bathroom (not bedrooms) so cost isn't prohibitive. That said, I hope we don't get a really cold winter!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £66.03/£160 9/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• calicocat
    • By calicocat 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 22,422 Thanks
    calicocat
    So far I am putting it on for an hour when I get in from work in the morning, and maybe a couple of hours in the early evening (north east).

It is starting to get cold here at times, when I came downstairs lunchtime today it was 13 in the lounge, and felt it, so put it on for an hour then. Then the sun came out.

When it gets too nippy the cat lets me know.....
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 17,011 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    You have my sympathy! We used to have them many years ago when we lived in an all-electric property and, even though we were on Economy 7, they cost a fortune to run. Lovely and warm in the mornings when we got up but, being out at work all day, we didn't really feel any benefit when we got home as all the heat had gone and we'd end up having to put an electric fire on in the evenings. Now on gas central heating with a combi boiler, it's much better.

Here in Yorkshire, daytime temperatures are hovering around 13C and at night it's in single figures. It's not unbearably cold yet and we do put on extra layers of clothing, use throws, draw curtains before dark etc before resorting to turning it on, but it's definitely not comfortable without it. So, yes, ours is on for about 30 mins in the morning when we get up, another 30 mins in the middle of the day and then for however long we need it in the evening (about an hour at the moment). It's only on in the lounge and bathroom (not bedrooms) so cost isn't prohibitive. That said, I hope we don't get a really cold winter!
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    I have storage heaters and find my living room still plenty warm enough until bed time and I'm in N/East Scotland. That said it's not been cold enough yet here to put them on, my living room has yet to go below 18.5C although my electric blanket is on for a short while before bed to take off the chill.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,482 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by Biggles
    1972 I think. Certainly no younger than 1974.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 7,058 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I have finally cracked and ours is now on for a couple of hours in the evening (from 7pm) and for a 90 minutes in the morning. Hubby is not too happy but I do not appreciate being totally chilled to the bone with a thick jumper on.
    We once left it off for so long that I got mildew on a dress that was next to the wall in my wardrobe. I do not want that again.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 4902.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Ours is still off; it's 22.5 in the livingroom at the moment. Granted the back doors are open less now, but they are still open every day - as are the upstairs windows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin