Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,050Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 607
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Had not considered that people would have their heating on in September, until a friend told me hers had been on for the last week! So, I thought I ought to check out this thread to see what the consensus was among Old Stylers.
    I always aim to get to November 1st before putting it on. Don't always achieve that, but It's a good target to aim for.
    Meanwhile, it's cardigans, bed socks, draught excluders etc! And I can get out my blanket that I'm knitting - put it away in the spring when the weather got too warm to have it draped over my lap.
    Once it's finished of course I'll be using it while I watch TV etc!
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    I like to get to October if possible, but I won't be cold, I put the heating on last week, I have the room stat set quite high & it's come on morning & night daily since.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 15th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 16,949 Posts
    • 25,852 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    My heating isn't on yet simply because it hasn't been cold. It will be duly switched on when it gets cold. Nothing to do with the cost or how long I can go.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Exactly how I feel.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • smeeth
    • By smeeth 15th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    smeeth
    Normally I aim for October, but it was chilly today and the heating clicked on at 15 degrees, which with a disabled person in the house is a bit low for us, never-mind it's cosy now.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 16th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5,683 Posts
    • 39,208 Thanks
    Caterina
    The usual aim is 1st Nov but we've been recently sorely tempted to chuck a bit of wood in the stove (No way the ch is going on in September! ). But on reflection we thought it would be the thin end of a wedge and just put on an extra jumper. Feeling smug (so far ☺).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 16th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    CandyB101
    I have definitely noticed the difference this week so have thrown an extra duvet on top ...
    Although I have just put the log burner on ... (free wood) but only to dry the washing ... save on the tumble drier electric ...
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 16th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 50,675 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I've only been running the boiler to heat water, for washing up and a shower.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • Dia Pita
    • By Dia Pita 16th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Dia Pita
    Heating still off and window open at night, should make it to end of October.

Debt Free Aug 15 Mortgage Free Aug 16
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    LeeUK
    The usual aim is 1st Nov but we've been recently sorely tempted to chuck a bit of wood in the stove (No way the ch is going on in September! ). But on reflection we thought it would be the thin end of a wedge and just put on an extra jumper. Feeling smug (so far ☺).
    Originally posted by Caterina
    If I had a stove then I probably would put it on early, especially if the wood was acquired free/cheap. I don't see it the same as e.g. gas central heating and you aren't topping up the greedy energy companies bank balance.

I do miss my Parkray sold fuel room heater.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 16th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 5,808 Posts
    • 10,817 Thanks
    GwylimT
    8 degrees celcius here today, definitely turned on!
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 16th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    BOBS
    Its turned on - though not set just yet. Discovered that oil burner no longer heating hot water - so visit from plumber and 50 quid later hoping its sorted.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The heating is off. Not planning g on using it until 1st November at the earliest. This is why jumpers and blankets were invented, not forgetting thermal vests and thick socks .

Although to be fair it's pretty mild here and we rarely get a frost. I don't want my gas bill to get any higher than it already is
    Debt at highest = £58,766 Current debt = £16,234

Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

6,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin