Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,050Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 607
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Had not considered that people would have their heating on in September, until a friend told me hers had been on for the last week! So, I thought I ought to check out this thread to see what the consensus was among Old Stylers.
    I always aim to get to November 1st before putting it on. Don't always achieve that, but It's a good target to aim for.
    Meanwhile, it's cardigans, bed socks, draught excluders etc! And I can get out my blanket that I'm knitting - put it away in the spring when the weather got too warm to have it draped over my lap.
    Once it's finished of course I'll be using it while I watch TV etc!
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    I like to get to October if possible, but I won't be cold, I put the heating on last week, I have the room stat set quite high & it's come on morning & night daily since.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 15th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 25,994 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    My heating isn't on yet simply because it hasn't been cold. It will be duly switched on when it gets cold. Nothing to do with the cost or how long I can go.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Exactly how I feel.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • smeeth
    • By smeeth 15th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    smeeth
    Normally I aim for October, but it was chilly today and the heating clicked on at 15 degrees, which with a disabled person in the house is a bit low for us, never-mind it's cosy now.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 16th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 39,298 Thanks
    Caterina
    The usual aim is 1st Nov but we've been recently sorely tempted to chuck a bit of wood in the stove (No way the ch is going on in September! ). But on reflection we thought it would be the thin end of a wedge and just put on an extra jumper. Feeling smug (so far ☺).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 16th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    CandyB101
    I have definitely noticed the difference this week so have thrown an extra duvet on top ...
    Although I have just put the log burner on ... (free wood) but only to dry the washing ... save on the tumble drier electric ...
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 16th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 51,247 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I've only been running the boiler to heat water, for washing up and a shower.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • Dia Pita
    • By Dia Pita 16th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Dia Pita
    Heating still off and window open at night, should make it to end of October.

Debt Free Aug 15 Mortgage Free Aug 16
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,584 Thanks
    LeeUK
    The usual aim is 1st Nov but we've been recently sorely tempted to chuck a bit of wood in the stove (No way the ch is going on in September! ). But on reflection we thought it would be the thin end of a wedge and just put on an extra jumper. Feeling smug (so far ☺).
    Originally posted by Caterina
    If I had a stove then I probably would put it on early, especially if the wood was acquired free/cheap. I don't see it the same as e.g. gas central heating and you aren't topping up the greedy energy companies bank balance.

I do miss my Parkray sold fuel room heater.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 16th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 5,878 Posts
    • 10,903 Thanks
    GwylimT
    8 degrees celcius here today, definitely turned on!
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 16th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    BOBS
    Its turned on - though not set just yet. Discovered that oil burner no longer heating hot water - so visit from plumber and 50 quid later hoping its sorted.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 8,185 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The heating is off. Not planning g on using it until 1st November at the earliest. This is why jumpers and blankets were invented, not forgetting thermal vests and thick socks .

Although to be fair it's pretty mild here and we rarely get a frost. I don't want my gas bill to get any higher than it already is
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £678/Emergency Fund 2 = £120
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 20,994 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I have a feeling it's on in MSE Towers. It's 24.8 degrees on the thermometer right now!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 28th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 22,544 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I have a feeling it's on in MSE Towers. It's 24.8 degrees on the thermometer right now!
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Not very MSE!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 28th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,584 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Had it on a couple of evenings over the weekend/early this week due to having a bit of a cold and cough. After a few hours I was sweating so it was switched off again. So not as cold as middle of winter cold where it's so cold that you can have the heating on all day and the house is still cold.
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 16,994 Posts
    • 101,619 Thanks
    maman
    Am I the only person that turns the heating on when I feel cold and turns it off when I'm warm enough? The weather in this country is so unpredictable it doesn't make sense to me to set November as a switch on date any more than, say, April for a switch off.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 28th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 25,994 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Am I the only person that turns the heating on when I feel cold and turns it off when I'm warm enough? The weather in this country is so unpredictable it doesn't make sense to me to set November as a switch on date any more than, say, April for a switch off.
    Originally posted by maman
    I put the heating on when I need it but that's never as early as this. My heavy duvet is on the bed but it's still nowhere near cold enough for heating. The coldest my living room during the afternoons this week has been 19c even on the dull wet days, today it was over 21c as it was sunny.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 28th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 22,544 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I prefer to snuggle up with warm clothes and a fleece cover.

I only put the heat on when it is really cold and I do try to hang it out as long as possible.

It does annoy me when my OH sits there in a short sleeve t shirt, shorts and no socks complaining he is cold!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 23,938 Posts
    • 50,245 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    1st October and incredibly, my heating is still off - although it has been unseasonably warm lately! I'm sitting here reading about energy saving measures, damp courses and ventilation and now feeling uncomfirtably chilly. For such is the power of the mind

Time to pop out for a bit, if only to warm up.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 13,095 Posts
    • 17,313 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I decided to thoroughly flush our heating system out at the beginning of September so recommissioned the boiler early. Normally it is shut down from June until the end of October. The thermostat is set at 18 but, so far, the house hasn't dropped that low. We do tend to light a fire if the weather is miserable outside, regardless of the actual temperature.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 13,095 Posts
    • 17,313 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The reasoning behind my switch on and switch off dates are that the heating is rarely, if ever, required between the June and October so it makes no sense for boiler to be on. The pilot light uses a surprising amount of gas and would be burning for no purpose.

If we do need heat in the off period, we light one or more fires.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 01-10-2017 at 4:59 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,603Posts Today

9,975Users online

Martin's Twitter