Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,045Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 602
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 88,450 Thanks
    maman
    My heating is on, only at 18 degrees so not kicking in much yet though, can't cope with being cold.

Mine is off at night though but use an electric blanket to warm the bed before I get in.
    Originally posted by happy35

While I admire those of you (and I'm sure Martin does too) who wrap up warm in jumpers and fleeces and blankets I'm happy to spend on having the heating on whenever I want. At the moment it's a quick burst first thing and then again about 4.30 onwards. I set it at 20 but it goes off frequently at this time of the year.

I'm fortunate that, for me, mse is about saving in areas I choose (like not being ripped off by supermarkets) to give me the freedom to spend on what I want.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 16th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    kboss2010
    On but only to dry clothes in one room in this horrid wet weather and because we've been painting and varnishing our hallways and stairs so we've had to have the hallway window open to get rid of the gloss, varnish and white spirit fumes which is making the adjacent rooms freezing!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th Oct 16, 7:10 AM
    • 5,552 Posts
    • 29,424 Thanks
    determined new ms
    ours has been on for the odd half hour when it's been really chilli. Its enough to take the chill out of the air
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 17th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 810 Posts
    • 4,848 Thanks
    t14cy t
    off unless it gets very chilly, bigger jumper doesnt cost as much! hoping to last until the end of the month. xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 13,892 Posts
    • 108,378 Thanks
    JackieO
    I too live in a mid terrace of houses and I have a double lot of insulation in the roof and cavity wall insulation.When I do put my heating on(not yet its nowhere near cold enough ) I only put it on for an hour at a time and then only just to warm the house up.My house is very rarely cold, in fact I had most of the windows open yesterday for a breath of fresh air to whoosh through I live in the south-east where it really doesn't get that cold until around november anyway as a rule.My combined heat and electricity bills are Direct debited at £45 per month and I usually get a rebate about early June. If it gets really cold and icy then I put the heating on for longer ,but an extra cardi is just as good and I save the extra credit on my bills for January time when its usually a bit nippier. I am quite a warm blooded person and don't seem to notice if its cold or not and I do like a bit of fresh air and its only when its very cold that my bedroom window gets closed
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 NSD today
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Ours has been on for a week or so. They are storage heaters and both are on quite low.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 17th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 4,104 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Off at the moment - I did run it for an hour last Friday just to make sure it had no problems before we really needs it (also took the liberty of half drying uniform for the following day as I had been out longer than expected and taken washing out late).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 18th Oct 16, 12:00 AM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 21,876 Thanks
    calicocat
    On for an hour in the morning to take the chill off for getting in from work.

On if i need to dry clothes quicker for an hour or two.

On tonight and i'm not even in, but the cat was staring at the radiator them me ..... so it's on. She's old and a little skinny, trying to get a bit of weight on her, so no point her using up energy to keep as warm as she wants.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 18th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    Mine's still off at the moment. It is getting colder so the throws are out for sitting on the sofa. I'm hoping to make it until November but if it gets too cold it will be going on. Still have the summer duvet on too.
    No buying toiletries total Outs 757

Decluttered 2236 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038 so far £757.61
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Oct 16, 6:53 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 15,470 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Mine's been on for half an hour this evening but I am just out of hospital after an operation. It was so hot in hospital everyone was complaining
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 20th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 60,963 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Not cold enough yet, managed to get some washing dried on the line yesterday. I have the stove if it turns a little chilly and that tends to warm the whole house if I leave the doors open. We don't like being hot during the night so even if the heating does go on it is only on for a couple of hours and goes off at 9pm
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 20th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Love the folk who say OFF but I've got my burner or stove on. Which means if you didn't then your heating would be ON.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    • 7,305 Posts
    • 29,291 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Mine is is at 16 degrees. I only turned it on so early because i had a visitor to stay and she comes from a hot country so wasnt used to the cold.
    Now i seem to have gotten used to it being on So i need to make sure i dont keep it on.
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt (22/11/16) £7037.31
    Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 7,953 Posts
    • 51,076 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Off. But it is now noticeably colder. The towels aren't drying overnight and I suspect we may have to give in soon.
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.11 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,217 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1890.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 22nd Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 36,129 Thanks
    Caterina
    Love the folk who say OFF but I've got my burner or stove on. Which means if you didn't then your heating would be ON.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    It's not a competition! Central heating off = money saved, same as wood stove on (skip scavenged wood) = money saved PLUS warm abode! What's not to like?

We are holding out on the CH till 1st November as per usual, but last night DS came visiting and was cold so we put the wood stove on, and it was lovely. We had just found a skip full of offcuts and collected enough for at least a couple of weeks worth of heating.

When our kids visit us they find it cold here because they live in overheated homes. They don't care because they both live in all inclusive bedsits where the resident landlords determine when the heating is on, and in both houses it's on most of the time (go figure). Same with unlimited electricity consumption, it's included in their rent.

In fact I knew that DS had already arrived as I came home by seeing all the lights on in my house. Big reminder that, much as I love seeing my children when they visit, I am well glad to be past the time when I had to run after them switching off all the lights that they left on! Especially DS, to the point that I devised a fine system, 50p for every light I had to switch off deducted from his pocket money. That cured it, to a degree! Ah, memories....
    No challenges for December.
    • everach
    • By everach 22nd Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    everach
    Its amazing how everyones home is so different.
    Our home is still very warm, no heating on yet and we still have windows open even through the night.
    The weather seems to be holding out, lovely sunshine and fairly pleasant temps, most importantly dry and not windy! Imsure this will come very soon though.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 22nd Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 36,129 Thanks
    Caterina
    LOL after all, heating on today as plumber came to repair the bathroom radiator valve and had to text the whole system. Nice and toasty! But that's it now, until November at least!
    No challenges for December.
    • chella
    • By chella 22nd Oct 16, 2:17 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    chella
    Have put the heating on twice now, for an hour each time, just to take the chill off. I have the loveliest fleece onesie and some very cosy slipper socks that I got in the sales that are keeping me warm.

I have also recently had the house re carpeted and the flooring done, plus lots of throws and candles makes it feel really cosy.

NOT BUYING IT!!! 2015

• Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 22nd Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I'm being frivolous...I have one storage heater on! There are five in this room.
    It's a toasty (to me) 18 degrees now.

If I win the lottery tonight, I'll put another storage heater on! Get me!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 22nd Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 23,056 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    On, still on and chucking carbon into the atmosphere as well. That will help end the ice age we are in, and upset the local greens who chop down forests to burn wood.

Fixed now till Jan 19. So the price rises will not affect me. Wobbleade is poured. Cheers!
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

4,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin