Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,045Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 601
    • Spamtastic
    • By Spamtastic 16th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Spamtastic
    Popped ours on a couple of days this week. Was hoping to last until November.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I only have rubbish storage heaters. Tested one the other day...it worked. Turned it off again the next day! Waiting for a few weeks or I won't 'feel the benefit'!

I'll then pretend it's a roaring log fire. Maybe.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 27,516 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We,ve had the wood burner on but not the main heating - it's free fuel and hubby is a carpenter, we always have wood
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 13,926 Posts
    • 108,638 Thanks
    JackieO
    Still off at the moment thank goodness,extra throw over my knees in the evening if I'm watching TV, and a hot pot of tea at my elbow for a warm drink to wash down a couple of ginger nut biscuits (my treat to myself )Hoping to make it another couple of weeks until November before having to turn it on.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
    • CathA
    • By CathA 16th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    CathA
    Not on here either and we've not had the calor gas heater on either. Loads of people I know have it on tho, toughen up, it's character building! X
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Not on here either and we've not had the calor gas heater on either. Loads of people I know have it on tho, toughen up, it's character building! X
    Originally posted by CathA
    Umm, I toughened up quite a lot last Winter...top temp was 12 degrees in my home. It's not good.

If you need heating, put it on! x
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 23,087 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    on, 24 hours a day. Controlled by the electronic thermostat.

It is only in the UK that we spend thousands of pounds on a furnace capable of producing 75,000 btu/h and then thrill ourselves with senseless thermostatic radiator valves creating cold zones in our house, where condensation and damp appear like magic.

If you don't like it, live in a cave!
    toughen up, it's character building! X
    Originally posted by CathA
    Good, I expect you will not be putting on until the temperature reached -10C?
    Myself, I pay for the heat, I am going to use it,
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 16-10-2016 at 3:46 PM.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    on, 24 hours a day. Controlled by the electronic thermostat.

It is only in the UK that we spend thousands of pounds on a furnace capable of producing 75,000 btu/h and then thrill ourselves with senseless thermostatic radiator valves creating cold zones in our house, where condensation and damp appear like magic.

If you don't like it, live in a cave!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Oh to be controlled by an electronic thermostat!

I reckon I'd have been more comfortable in a cave last year!
    Storage heaters are hell! You have to plan in advance, then you'll still be nippy at night.

For anybody struggling, Stock up on candles and place them in front of mirrors...you can pretend it's warmer than it is! When cooking something in the oven, place large stones in there as well..remove them when hot and place in a metal container to warm up the area near you.

Stay warm! x
    • beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 16th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    beedeedee
    Ours is ON and will stay on during the daytime/evening till near the middle of next year I expect. We don't do cold, I'm afraid.......
    We also don't do Direct Debits for things we have control over, such as usage. I put a certain amount each month into an (albeit small) interest earning account and pay our bill each month online. I hardly pay anything from June to September, but have cash in pocket instead. It works for us!
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Ours is ON and will stay on during the daytime/evening till near the middle of next year I expect. We don't do cold, I'm afraid.......
    We also don't do Direct Debits for things we have control over, such as usage. I put a certain amount each month into an (albeit small) interest earning account and pay our bill each month online. I hardly pay anything from June to September, but have cash in pocket instead. It works for us!
    Originally posted by beedeedee
    Well done! x

I don't really have a choice. Only electric here and have opted for the best option regarding suppliers and deals.

I received a rebate a couple of months ago. I would have preferred the money to stay in the electricity account so that I could afford the Winter bills, without noticing. Nope, they'd sooner put up the monthly payments.

It's hard work staying warm...thinking about exercising, but I'd faint! x
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 16th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    We have lit the log burner a couple of times and the calor gas heater too. They are off at the moment. I put Dad'S electric heater on 750 kw for him as he has just had a week in respite where there is 24 hr wall to wall heating. I will turn it off in a couple of hours as with the door shut and curtains drawn he is very toasty.
    Proud to be mortgage free
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    We have lit the log burner a couple of times and the calor gas heater too. They are off at the moment. I put Dad'S electric heater on 750 kw for him as he has just had a week in respite where there is 24 hr wall to wall heating. I will turn it off in a couple of hours as with the door shut and curtains drawn he is very toasty.
    Originally posted by FrugalinShropshire
    I want to move in. You seem so cosy! x
    • happy35
    • By happy35 16th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    happy35
    My heating is on, only at 18 degrees so not kicking in much yet though, can't cope with being cold.

Mine is off at night though but use an electric blanket to warm the bed before I get in.
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Myself, I pay for the heat, I am going to use it,
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    We have ye olde boiler that we have to put on if we want hot water never mind the heating. I don't intend to stink until November

Also, we had our system powerflushed recently and I'm thinking the 30 odd years of sludge removed will be a big money saving on the grounds of efficiency. Warm radiators are a novelty!
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    We have ye olde boiler that we have to put on if we want hot water never mind the heating. I don't intend to stink until November

Also, we had our system powerflushed recently and I'm thinking the 30 odd years of sludge removed will be a big money saving on the grounds of efficiency. Warm radiators are a novelty!
    Originally posted by Slowly57
    So true, but rather than knock these luxurious people...befriend them, they might share their heat! x
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 16th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 8,297 Thanks
    Sagz
    Currently enjoying 30 degrees sun in Cyprus, will be reaching for the heating controls as soon as I walk through the door at home in the UK on Wednesday. Think I might notice the difference!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 16th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    It's been off all day today, but it's been on in the evenings pretty much all this week.
    I live in a small flat, which has neighbours or hallway on 4 of its 6 sides, so I get pretty good insulation year-round. I don't use the central heating at all, just a portable heater in the living room, which I spend most of my time in, and put on as needed. I find it's much more economical as with doors open it heats the rest of the flat more than adequately.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    katkin
    Ours is on and off this past week. Anything above 18 degrees is too warm so it's off again. I'm comfortable about 16 degrees indoors and that's not wearing a cardi - I run too hot

Tonight I'm moving over to the winter down duvet. The summer one is off to the launderette tomorrow then packed away. Hubby has been feeling the chill at night but I'm liable to have half my body under it and the other half out
    • TarantulaLady
    • By TarantulaLady 16th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    TarantulaLady
    Ours is on low briefly each day to dry washing. I don't have a tumble dryer. I don't feel the cold so don't like having the heating on.
    DFD 2020
    Morgage Free Date 2022
    • Ladyluck1
    • By Ladyluck1 16th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 7,236 Thanks
    Ladyluck1
    Still off! I'm
    Lucky we are mid terrace so I share either sides heat haha
    Plus I like a blanket
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,603Posts Today

7,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin