Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • shikoku
    • 26th Sep 10, 1:38 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 1:38 PM
    It would probably lick it off and swallow it.
    • albionwarrior
    • By albionwarrior 26th Sep 10, 1:42 PM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    albionwarrior
    • 26th Sep 10, 1:42 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 1:42 PM
    umm where is the freebie here?
    • lorweld
    • By lorweld 26th Sep 10, 1:44 PM
    • 5,100 Posts
    • 131,324 Thanks
    lorweld
    • 26th Sep 10, 1:44 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 1:44 PM
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

I'm the Board Guide on the Freebies, Freebies (Low Spend) Board, Travel, Trips & Holidays, Motoring & Public Transport& Site Feedback: Questions & suggestions boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • romylou
    • 26th Sep 10, 2:02 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 2:02 PM
    I would say it depends on What the wound is and where it is on your dog.

I have used antisceptic creams on my dogs and not had any problems with them.
  • simontheiceman
    • 26th Sep 10, 3:25 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 3:25 PM
    I'm a vet, and I regularly advise their use in mild problems. Sometimes you just don't need the excessive power of an antibacterial or steroid based cream and then again, sometimes you do.
    Garantissez-moi de mes amis, je saurai me defendre de mes ennemis
  • StormyBaby28
    • 26th Sep 10, 6:59 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 6:59 PM
    Well I swear by Sudocrem for using on any grazes/cuts my horses get, never done them any harm and a hell of a lot cheaper using human stuff than anything with "equine" in the title!
    Decent Wins / Freebies to date:- £500 Tottie clothing (win), £120 Sonicare Whitening Toothbrush (trial), Numerous equestrian supplements (approx £200 worth in wins), Jodhphurs x 2 (one win, one trial), Supreme Products products set (win). Equestrian sponsorship gained from 3 companies (approx money/freebies to date worth approx £400).
    • juno
    • By juno 26th Sep 10, 7:01 PM
    • 6,360 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    juno
    • 26th Sep 10, 7:01 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 7:01 PM
    My vet told me to use tcp on my bird's leg. But I'd be concerned that a cream would sit on the skin and then be licked off
    Sealed pot challenge #377
    Target £125 - 2009 total £117.57
    2010 total £151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
    • hannah899
    • By hannah899 26th Sep 10, 8:19 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    hannah899
    • 26th Sep 10, 8:19 PM
    • 26th Sep 10, 8:19 PM
    my mum uses sudocream then covers with a special doggy bandage
    it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 26th Sep 10, 8:21 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    I`ve used both savlon and germoline and then covered with a plaster or bandage. Most times bathing in a lukewarm saline solution twice daily does the trick for small cuts.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • Missconduct
    The best thing I've found (and it was recommended by my vet) is Hibiscrub watered down and applied and just left - don't rinse off. Sudocrem can also work but is nuisance on anything with long hair.
  • tr3mor
    Savlon now do an antiseptic spray, which I use on my dog. It's much easier than trying to get cream through the fur.
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 27th Sep 10, 11:54 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Savlon now do an antiseptic spray, which I use on my dog. It's much easier than trying to get cream through the fur.
    Originally posted by tr3mor
    You`ve just brought back a memory of when i tried to use spray on plaster underneath my dogs paw for a cut pad

You`ve never seen anything like it in your life, never again!

SD
  • Missconduct
    You`ve just brought back a memory of when i tried to use spray on plaster underneath my dogs paw for a cut pad

You`ve never seen anything like it in your life, never again!

SD
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    What happened?! Dying to know now! (Have never used that stuff so I don't know what it's like...)
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 27th Sep 10, 12:20 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    What happened?! Dying to know now! (Have never used that stuff so I don't know what it's like...)
    Originally posted by Missconduct
    It makes such a loud hiss when it comes out of the tin, it was absolutely hilarious. She was about a year old and she is double jointed and very big and bendy. She was leaping all over the place to get out of the way and it was soooo funny

She wasn`t scared but didn`t know what it was and the expression on her face was unbelieveable, she is crossed with a mastiff so the wrinkles on her forehead were working overtime. Cue one loose radiator in the hallway and a mad hound that thought it was some kind of new game

SD
    • Gizmo-macca
    • By Gizmo-macca 27th Sep 10, 1:46 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Gizmo-macca
    lol sudocream isnt for use on open wounds! itsd non healing, rather its a water barrier.

its for damaged areas where the skin is not broken.
  • Missconduct
    Hilarious, Sunnyday, would have liked to see that

One of our dogs is very sensitive to smells and if I spray something near her or even (as I'm often doing as my hands get very dry) rub hand cream in near her, she pulls the funniest face, sort of lifts her lips and sometimes starts sneezing. We only have to get the grooming spray out now and she starts pulling faces
    • chris n tj
    • By chris n tj 27th Sep 10, 3:05 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 4,617 Thanks
    chris n tj
    I use sudocream for sore ( red doggy) bottoms, and hot spots. for any other kind of open sore I go to the Vets. Which is a good idea for everyone, heres why.

TJ had an open sore on his bottom, it wouldnt heal and after a few day of bathing I took him to the Vets. At first Vet thought it could be an insect bite. 1 injection and a few days later it was no better. Back to the Vets.

Anyway it was a nasty, operated on a few days later. Boy we were lucky it was a melonoma but we caught it very quick (stage 1) So please if you see a sore that doesnt seen to be getting better, get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. It looked so harmless, and small.

We were lucky, so many others saddly are not.

Chris n TJ x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    • undaunted
    • By undaunted 29th Sep 10, 2:57 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    undaunted
    Sudocrem & hibiscrub can certainly be used (I've been provided with or discussed using both with/ by vets). Saltwater is another alternative.

I'd avoid phenol based products (eg TCP) as these can be toxic to dogs & many other products can also be so I would therefore suggest seeking veterinary advice before doing so if unsure about any product
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,072Posts Today

6,530Users online

Martin's Twitter