Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 7:47 PM
    • 8,834Posts
    • 66,272Thanks
    jo1972
    The Giving Up/Cutting Down Alcohol Support Thread - Numero 9!
    • 24th Sep 10, 7:47 PM
    The Giving Up/Cutting Down Alcohol Support Thread - Numero 9! 24th Sep 10 at 7:47 PM
    Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts, new challenges, NEW POSTERS PLEASE (not that there's anything wrong with the old ones, so please stick around ).

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

"There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!

PS have amended this slightly as I have decided that I will try for the moderation way! That means for me not drinking over the recc limits (bottle & a half of wine for me!) but I know at times this will be a struggle plus I'm aware that others want to do the same."

And here's what she started!!! :

The previous thread (part 8) is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2 (can't remember, but a long time ago), a post which means a lot to us on here....from Springwatch Girl. Don't know where SWG is as she hasn't posted since back then, but I am hoping that the sun is still shining in her life

"Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Let us, once again, begin......
    Last edited by jo1972; 28-09-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
Page 1
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 7:47 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Evenin' all
    • Miss Piggy
    • By Miss Piggy 24th Sep 10, 7:48 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 32,563 Thanks
    Miss Piggy
    • 24th Sep 10, 7:48 PM
    Woo hoo new thread!!!

P.s Hi guys!!

Miss P
    xx
    **Keep Calm and Carry On!**
  • penelopedee
    Lovely shiney new thread. Happy Friday Evening all, Pen x
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
    • happyshopper
    • By happyshopper 24th Sep 10, 7:55 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    happyshopper
    • 24th Sep 10, 7:55 PM
    • 24th Sep 10, 7:55 PM
    Well done Jo. As they used to say on Hill Street Blues..."Let's be careful out there". Have a good evening/weekend all.

hs

[ETA: an article from the Guardian today on online forum friendships is here, in case of interest]
    Last edited by happyshopper; 24-09-2010 at 8:00 PM. Reason: forking spelling
    ...nothing to see here...
    • gien
    • By gien 24th Sep 10, 7:58 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 14,987 Thanks
    gien
    • 24th Sep 10, 7:58 PM
    Evening all, lovely new shiny thread. Watching a film, AF bells have stopped now.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 7:58 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Well done Jo. As they used to say on Hill Street Blues..."Let's be careful out there". Have a good evening/weekend all.

hs
    Originally posted by happyshopper
    Yeah, and how old are you

Only joking, I remember it too

How are we all tonight? I ain't doing so well

(Nothing like starting a new thread with bad news.....)
    • Miss Piggy
    • By Miss Piggy 24th Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 32,563 Thanks
    Miss Piggy
    • 24th Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    • 24th Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    Sorry to have been awol folks, just had to concentrate on Piglet for a little while.

He's settled in fantastically at school. Already has a best friend (whos mum I get on really well with too which is nice, as I don't really make friends easily). Today was the last of the half days so he goes all day Monday! My hours at work change then too...but the girl replacing me is off sick today. Not a good omen. They do know, however, that I just can't do the evenings.

Maman, caught your post a few pages back. Hows SW going? I haven't joined as funds are preventing me at the moment, but my Mum gave me her old SW book so I'm following the guidelines in there (6 syns for a glass of wine!!!!!)

Hopefully life will feel more normal next week. Normal hours, all of us home in the evenings. Its going to be lovely.

Alcohol wise, I've not been too bad. Following SW has stopped me drinking...too many syns used up! Mind you, I've saved a few for the weekend

Hope everyones ok?

Miss P
    xx
    • Miss Piggy
    • By Miss Piggy 24th Sep 10, 8:04 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 32,563 Thanks
    Miss Piggy
    • 24th Sep 10, 8:04 PM
    • 24th Sep 10, 8:04 PM

Only joking, I remember it too

How are we all tonight? I ain't doing so well

(Nothing like starting a new thread with bad news.....)
    Originally posted by jo1972
    Umm....I'm on my first glass of wine......
    • Miss Piggy
    • By Miss Piggy 24th Sep 10, 8:05 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 32,563 Thanks
    Miss Piggy
    Maman - forgot to say....take a look at a site called minimins.com. They have a slimming world forum and theres loads of really great info on there.
    • happyshopper
    • By happyshopper 24th Sep 10, 8:06 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    happyshopper
    Originally posted by jo1972
    How rude . I was a precocious child in my telly habits.

I have just eaten a packet of cream crackers and cheese so nutritious dinner dispatched. Bit bored now. But won't be drinking cos early start tomorrow for secret foreign mission (nothing to do with YM I hasten to add).

hs
    ...nothing to see here...
    • gien
    • By gien 24th Sep 10, 8:07 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 14,987 Thanks
    gien
    Oh Dear Jo, Can you salvage the evening at all?
    Trying to keep in budget.

• skintscottishgirl
    • By skintscottishgirl 24th Sep 10, 8:14 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    skintscottishgirl
    Hello

Hope everyone is well

I am sober and intend to remain that way!

Thanks for starting the new thread Jo

XX
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 8:17 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    (nothing to do with YM I hasten to add)
    hs
    Originally posted by happyshopper

Hmmmmmmmm......

Oh Dear Jo, Can you salvage the evening at all?
    Originally posted by gien
    Only had one
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 8:19 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    I hope our new posters can find us...
  • penelopedee
    Is somebody able to do a link from the old thread to the new?

(Sorry I'm not very technical with this sort of thing)
    Fingers crossed x
  • penelopedee
    Jo, Miss Piggy, I'm not AF tonight either
    Fingers crossed x
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 8:29 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    I can't do that Pen cos it's locked....lemme go ask...
    Last edited by jo1972; 24-09-2010 at 8:33 PM.
  • Marru
    I thought I was going mad. I just went to a school barbecue, came back and all the buttons had gone funny on the forum. Reason was obviously that the old thread was locked. But I am sure I didn't see Sim's post about his day today but I saw Jo commenting it so yes - I am going mad. And I didn't even have any wine at the barbecue.

No 23 please Shaggy

All those old enough , check THIS out

ETA: please note that is link to a live show so those reading this later the show will be different
    "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

• penelopedee
    That made me smile - thanks Marru
    Fingers crossed x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,916Posts Today

5,322Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin