Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • laurarobby
    • By laurarobby 23rd Sep 10, 2:50 PM
    • 654Posts
    • 353Thanks
    laurarobby
    wedding marquee? anyone
    • 23rd Sep 10, 2:50 PM
    wedding marquee? anyone 23rd Sep 10 at 2:50 PM
    hi all was wondering if anyone has hired a marquee for their wedding and how much it costs? and what they have got with it ie: chairs tables linen dance floor etc etc...

i am going to get some quotes but not sure on what is cheap or expensive. we will be getting the catering in and doing the bar ourselves. as most venues you have to use there catering and the drinks are pricey.

what are your thoughts?
Page 1
  • Magicboo
    • 23rd Sep 10, 3:28 PM
    • 23rd Sep 10, 3:28 PM
    Hi,
    I have done quite a bit of research into marquee hire for our wedding, we started out with 140 day guests plus 50 evening guests and for that we were recommended a 12m x 24m marquee and the cost of marquee/linings/carpet/lighting/tables/chairs/dance floor/delivery/liability waiver and VAT came in at 4250, which was the average. As a result of this big price, we have cut the size of our wedding down and are now having 80 people for the day plus 60 evening guests and are paying 1800 for all the same in a 9m x 12m marquee.
    There are cheaper and more expensive quotes out there, we went with the company who were most helpful in the end!
    Hope thats helps a bit!
    • klimny
    • By klimny 23rd Sep 10, 3:48 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    klimny
    • 23rd Sep 10, 3:48 PM
    • 23rd Sep 10, 3:48 PM
    Magicboo, what time of year is your wedding taking place? As I've heard that the prices can vary (by as much as 5k) depending on whether its during peak wedding season (April-October) or not (November-March).

Laurarobby, I'd be interested to see what people say about marquees too as I'm looking into that idea myself (only for around 50-70 evening guests, following church wedding - hopefully)
    • wench90
    • By wench90 23rd Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    wench90
    • 23rd Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    • 23rd Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    We have booked a marquee for our wedding. We've having 100 people seated, we have booked round tables, top table, buffet tables and chairs. Our venue is going to set up a small bar for us just so ppl dont have to walk to main building to get drinks.

The total comes in around 1600. We arent having fancy lining, no dance floor because we just want to eat and have speeches in there.

Can be very expensive but if you get the basic marquee and decorate yourself you can save money.
    • kawilson00
    • By kawilson00 23rd Sep 10, 10:10 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kawilson00
    • 23rd Sep 10, 10:10 PM
    • 23rd Sep 10, 10:10 PM
    We were hoping to get a Marquee for our wedding next year, and I asked for quotes from all the companies that hired marquees in Scotland, and basically the quotes were about 4000. This was for linings, lighting, heating and generators. Tables, chairs and toilets were not included in the price, and toilets were approx 600 to 1000. Hope this helps.
  • wallbash
    • 23rd Sep 10, 10:20 PM
    • 23rd Sep 10, 10:20 PM
    Had a Marquee for our wedding ( no point in discussing prices, as we celebrate our 25th next year) never regretted it. Much better than a soulless hotel/hall.
  • Magicboo
    • 24th Sep 10, 8:43 AM
    • 24th Sep 10, 8:43 AM
    Hi,
    Our wedding in on the 30th April next year so on the edge of the busy time. Also, in case it makes a difference, it's in Hampshire. The marquee company are based in Somerset though.
    One thing that made a big difference to the costs was the delivery charges. We are paying 45 delivery for our marquee to come from Somerset (about 50 miles) but one place quoted 240 to travel 18 miles .
    Hope that helps!
  • Magicboo
    • 8th Oct 10, 9:59 AM
    • 8th Oct 10, 9:59 AM
    Just an update on marquee prices...
    After being quoted 1800 for a 9 x 12m marquee for 90 people, lined/carpet/chairs/tables/lighting/delivery/damage waiver/VAT, we met up with the marquee people to show them my parents garden (where the reception will be) and have just had the final quote through for a 9 x 15m marquee (garden is bigger than we thought!) and nicer chairs and it is 1600!
    So it's worth meeting up with the people and getting to know them, I reckon
    Very happy bunny here!
  • SpringDach
    • 8th Oct 10, 12:05 PM
    • 8th Oct 10, 12:05 PM
    I want an indoor marquee to makeover a hall. Have seen this done before & it looks fab! Anyone had an indoor marquee before, or know of a company that does this?
  • Magicboo
    I wonder if a marquee company would be able to do it, you just hire the lining? Might be worth giving a few a call to find out?
    • laurarobby
    • By laurarobby 9th Oct 10, 8:49 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    laurarobby
    Just an update on marquee prices...
    After being quoted 1800 for a 9 x 12m marquee for 90 people, lined/carpet/chairs/tables/lighting/delivery/damage waiver/VAT, we met up with the marquee people to show them my parents garden (where the reception will be) and have just had the final quote through for a 9 x 15m marquee (garden is bigger than we thought!) and nicer chairs and it is 1600!
    So it's worth meeting up with the people and getting to know them, I reckon
    Very happy bunny here!
    Originally posted by Magicboo

thats brilliant the cheapest we have is 3500 what company have you gone with?

thanks
  • Magicboo
    I'll PM you laurarobby, I don't want to be accused of promoting a company-although I definately would recommend them, they've been so friendly and helpful! x
  • MrsEs
    My daughter has decided to go for a marquee in a relative's garden. She is really pleased that they can put the additional money towards a house deposit instead of paying a fortune to one of the venues that we had originally decided on.
    • giddypenguin
    • By giddypenguin 10th Oct 10, 1:42 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    giddypenguin
    I'll PM you laurarobby, I don't want to be accused of promoting a company-although I definately would recommend them, they've been so friendly and helpful! x
    Originally posted by Magicboo
    Could I be cheeky and ask to be PMed the company too? We are just starting to look at this idea. Hopefully the rugby club in the area will allow us to use their field - it's the only place we can think of sticking it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,368Posts Today

6,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin