IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Food Intolerance Tests?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,180
# 1
Athravan
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Food Intolerance Tests?

Does anyone know if there is a reliable place you can get food intolerances? I have been tested for coeliac but I know i have some food intolerances - caffeine, chocolate, alcohol that cause IBS.

Other than an exclusion diet, which I've tried and just found incredibely hard and actually made me feel worse - i've heard of health shops offering an "intolerance" test via a !!!!! of blood... and someone told me there was a more reliable one you could send off for.

My GP told me only coeliac was on the NHS and that I wouldn't even get a lactose intolerance test, which I think would be quite valuable for me.

Are they at all reliable, are they worth the money, and if so, where's the best place to get the most reliable one done?
# 2
Nile
Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athravan
Does anyone know if there is a reliable place you can get food intolerances? I have been tested for coeliac but I know i have some food intolerances - caffeine, chocolate, alcohol that cause IBS.

Other than an exclusion diet, which I've tried and just found incredibely hard and actually made me feel worse - i've heard of health shops offering an "intolerance" test via a !!!!! of blood... and someone told me there was a more reliable one you could send off for.

My GP told me only coeliac was on the NHS and that I wouldn't even get a lactose intolerance test, which I think would be quite valuable for me.

Are they at all reliable, are they worth the money, and if so, where's the best place to get the most reliable one done?
Hello Athravan

I haven't used them myself but I've heard this company mentioned in a lot of magazine articles about food intolerance testing.

Regards

Nile
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
# 3
vickylee
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Holland & Barratt do Food Sensitivity Testing quite regularly. No blood needed, but then it's only a sensitivity test and not an intolerance test. Although you could try it and see how it works out. I did it once and came out with possible sensitivities to dairy, wheat, chicken, beef, blackcurrant, and potato!
Mum to 2 cheeky little monkeys!
Usborne Books at Home Organiser
# 4
CarolnMalky
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to CarolnMalky

I went to my local Jan de Vries clinic and it was well worth the £35!
Good luck.
Carol
If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
# 5
ariba10
Old 01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to ariba10

From what I have read you will get a different conclusion from whoever you try.

The more experts you consult the more confused you will be.
I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
# 6
Murtle
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Removing food from your diet is the best way to do it. If you have a strong reaction to certain food types you won't have to eliminate them for long to know what was causing it.

But if you really don't want to do that access your GP for recommendations.
Hurrah I can finally change my signature!

13 in 2013 challenge completed 0/13
# 7
Athravan
Old 01-10-2006, 3:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nile
Hello Athravan

I haven't used them myself but I've heard this company mentioned in a lot of magazine articles about food intolerance testing.

Regards

Nile
They sound really professional but 250 to test for 113 food intolerances! That's a months rent right there! No matter how sick I feel I'm not sure I could justify spending that much money when the GP hasn't recommended it.

I have spoken to my GP but he simply said there were things available from health places and private clinics but if they were that reliable they would already be on the NHS and that says it all - his words.

Now to me, just because something isn't on the NHS doesn't mean it's not reliable, it just means the NHS has found a corner to cut whereby they don't have to pay any extra for what would be an expense that most people wouldn't need and wouldn't find useful - yet they'd have to test millions of people if they made it available, very few of whom would have a result that would change their health (I'd imagine).
# 8
Gemmzie
Old 01-10-2006, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athravan
They sound really professional but 250 to test for 113 food intolerances! That's a months rent right there! No matter how sick I feel I'm not sure I could justify spending that much money when the GP hasn't recommended it.

I have spoken to my GP but he simply said there were things available from health places and private clinics but if they were that reliable they would already be on the NHS and that says it all - his words.

Now to me, just because something isn't on the NHS doesn't mean it's not reliable, it just means the NHS has found a corner to cut whereby they don't have to pay any extra for what would be an expense that most people wouldn't need and wouldn't find useful - yet they'd have to test millions of people if they made it available, very few of whom would have a result that would change their health (I'd imagine).
I've been sick permenantly since I was a small child, the NHS did nothing. Mum eventually decided to send me to a nutritionist, who recommended an allergy test.

1 - 100 scale where 100 will probably kill you, 1 is no reaction. Cow's Milk = 84 Removed it from diet in March, no problems since. I now have an immune system for the first time in my life and a cold doesn't leave me in bed for a month.

The GP is talking complete rubbish. There are 113 foods which are tested for, how can you remove each one from your diet and wait for a reaction? It's utterly ridiculous.
I told mine of my results and they recorded it and then decided to test for coeliac (just incase :rolleyes: ). It costs the NHS 300 and they just can't afford it.
No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
# 9
Tiff
Old 02-10-2006, 9:00 AM

Hi Guys,
Good ol' Tiff is dairy free for 4 years now. The excluson diet is the REALLY accurate way to tell what's triggering you.
I asked my GP about a lactose test etc after the last round of public articles but he said they aren't really much good and not really accurate as it measures the inflammation in your blood or something like that. So for example, if you've got a cold, broken a leg, have arthritis or any other allergy including hayfever, your test will come back positive for the reaction but it won' be able to tell you what from - it could be any of the above not just lactose.
Keep your pennies folks. Exclusion diet is hard and long but SO worth it. After all, why give up chocolate if you don't have to?
Much Love
Tiff
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
'You just got Tiffed!'

# 10
tim_n
Old 02-10-2006, 9:34 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Similarly I suffer from IBS from something... I'm fairly sure it's chillis (which I love and eat sparingly)

I asked my GP who is someone I not only trust (built over many years) but is also someone I work with when out on my SJA duties. His opinion of the local health markets tests are that they are financially motivated to find problems with foods that you'll only find replacements for in that health store. I'm not severely reactive to these bouts - just enough to put me off going out maybe a day or so every month or two. I just make sure I eat carefully and in moderation and am gradually whittling it down to a few ingredients that set me off.

Obviously in more severe cases I guess you really need to go visit someone, but don't goto a health shop that offers free testing! The cost comes from somewhere...
Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to tim_n For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Tiff
Old 02-10-2006, 3:27 PM

Totally agree Tim. I've had this problem for 15 years, including severe IBS, and exclusion diet really is the foolproof way.
I think if there was a guaranteed blood test for intolerances, then GP's as busy as they are, seeing hundreds of people every week with this problem, would be writing out pathology dept. slips quicker than you could say 'Hippocratic Oath!' It would make their lives so much easier.
Tiff
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
'You just got Tiffed!'

# 12
Athravan
Old 09-10-2006, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well, I have had a good week thinking about it. I've just paid for the 250 113 food york intolerance test.. It will put my mind at rest at least.. although I paid for it out of the wedding savings account, but my OH thinks it's important too, and the wedding's not for 18 months.

I talked to the GP - I've had 2 blood tests for coeliac and it was fine, my flexible sigmoidoscopy was fine, and although I haven't had the results of my biopsy yet, it seems unlikely that there is anything wrong that would be causing my IBS, bloating, reflux, indigiestion, chronic tiredness and muscles aching... I've had every test under the sun, and I take all the recommended vitamins by my doctor, and probiotics.. so I think this is my last hope!
The Following User Says Thank You to Athravan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Tiff
Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Good luck angel - let us know how you get on. Congratulations for the wedding.
Tiff
'You just got Tiffed!'

The Following User Says Thank You to Tiff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Ellie2758
Old 10-10-2006, 4:36 PM

I went to a chinese shop in Bluewater and had a piece of my hair snipped off and sent for analysis to see what could be causing my bloating probs. I didnt TELL them what my probs were - I thought if they were that clever they could work it out for themselves. It cost £35 and has come back 2 weeks later with a medium reaction to several items - most of them are things I never eat. They have supposedly tested for about 150 different things plus also searched for vitamin and mineral deficiencies and also fungal overgrowth, parasites, insufficient drinking water. I dont know how accurate it is. I was just desperate. The only things that I do use that I have a reaction to are: chicken, toothpaste, fluoride, benzoate preservatives and MSG. The rest are: apricots, marmite, oranges, grapes, ice cream, crisps, chilli peppers, dill and coffee. As I said, I never knowingly touch any of these. It did come up as medium reaction to caffeine, but not tea. Not sure what to make of that. Also, it doesnt specify which ingredients I am allergic to in toothpaste so I am a tad suspicious of that. To be honest, I was expecting to be told I had a reaction to bread or dairy but neither has shown up so I am now assuming that the bloating must be down to chicken ,which I ate on a virtually daily basis, and possibly the benzoate preservatives. Who Knows?
Ellie

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
J-J Rousseau
# 15
Murtle
Old 10-10-2006, 5:29 PM

ellie - I think our toothpaste has fluoride in as standard now, so if you have a reaction to fluroide, you are likely to have a reaction to standard toothpaste.

You can get fluroide free toothpastes from health food shops.

x x

# 16
Ellie2758
Old 11-10-2006, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtle
ellie - I think our toothpaste has fluoride in as standard now, so if you have a reaction to fluroide, you are likely to have a reaction to standard toothpaste.

You can get fluroide free toothpastes from health food shops.

x x
Yes, somebody mentioned that Boots do one as well. BUT why mention that I am allergic to caffeine but not tea if you are going to mention fluouride AND toothpaste? By their logic, there must be something else in toothpaste that I am allergic to.
Ellie

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
J-J Rousseau
# 17
wigginsmum
Old 11-10-2006, 3:54 PM

I did the York tests some years ago and came back as intolerant to just about everything. I ended up disregarding their advice and worked out that it's wheat that sets me off. Got to organise a coeliac test though.
The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
# 18
Murtle
Old 11-10-2006, 4:03 PM

It could be that is was a medium reaction and tea has a lot less caffeine then coffee so you can drink tea but not coffee or other high caffeinated drinks?

I don't know really just thinking aloud, googled these links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_...nks_caff.shtml

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

# 19
Athravan
Old 11-10-2006, 9:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have high intolerance to caffeine but it affects me for all - soda, tea, and coffee make me run to the bathroom within 5 mins of drinking it... and to a certain extent, chocolate too, depending how much i eat and if it's dark or milk. If the caffeine in tea doesn't affect you perhaps its because the caffeine is too low, or maybe it's not caffeine that's affecting you in coffee but something else? Not sure sorry.. but I sympathise!
# 20
Cat72
Old 23-10-2006, 9:36 PM

Have you had your results back yet ? I was wondering if the york test was any good.
Closed Thread