Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dseers335
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain
    • 22nd Sep 10, 6:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain 22nd Sep 10 at 6:02 PM
    I booked a trip to Alicante airport for myself and my girlfriend. We wanted to hire a rental car and ended up booking with a hire company called Goldcar.

They seemed quite cheap and already have "all-inclusive" insurance included so it sounded good.

I will make sure I never go near this company again.

Firstly, when we arrived we had to queue for just over an hour before getting to the front of the desk. Being peak-season we weren't too suprised and, although inconvenient, we could bare this.

When we reached the desk the rep was very abrupt and bordered of rudeness. This didn't really bother me (at the end of the day this guy was working and had a lot of holiday-makers to get through).

When we had finished with the details the rep asked if I wanted "full CDW insurance" or just "basic" cover for tyres and glass. Now, as I have hired cars several times in the past I am fully aware of exclusions (tyres/glass/keys etc) and so replied that I did not require any extra insurance and my credit card covers for the tyre/glass etc charge - but did query the "full CDW insurance" he was offering. The man looked at me and said "if you are involved in a crash then we will need to charge you for all repairs". I told him that this was already included in the cost I had paid for the hire and highlighted the wording on my voucher which backed up my understanding. "it is not correct. if you have a crash you only have 3rd party and we will take a 5000.00EUR excess-deposit until the repairs are worked out" - using these words exactly. The rep was basically telling me I had zero cover whereas the paperwork I had and the website tells me I was all-inclusive.

After several more minutes of this I agreed to take the extra cover so I could enjoy the rest of my holiday stress-free and had to pay up a further 60.00EUR.

The rep just handed me an electronic paid to sign which had no indication of what I was paying for or agreeing to exactly. A few days later I inspected the contract to see that the total price and been converted to GBP with a 2% mark-up, the cost of fuel was priced at 82.00EUR and I was charged for some kind of diesel-upgrade on top without my consent (I had booked a petrol!).
    The vehicle itself had some problems but it is rare to be given a perfect rental car, especially in Spain, so this was OK.

When I got home I sent an email to my broker ("Carjet") who confirmed my understanding of the insurance (all-inclusive except for the tyres/glass etc). They could not really disagree as I was going by the wording on their's/Goldcar's website.

Carjet then contacted Goldcar with my complaint to get to the bottom of it. After a few weeks, Goldcar replied to say that their rates were all-inclusive except for a few minor items and they did not take any deposit in case of a crash. Goldcar said that I must have misunderstood due to the language barrier and the cover I had taken was only cover for punctures/loss of keys etc and their rates included in more just 3rd party.

After a few more emails back and forth Goldcar closed the case stating "we can't refund when the client has signed the contract".
    This email probably makes me sound like newbie who doesn't read the small print but I really am not (it gives me something to do during the flight!). My partner also backs up entirely what I have said and encouraged my to write this.

That's my review. Stay away from Goldcar if it can be helped. The salesmen at the desk will lie to you outright in order to make an extra few Euros commission.

I have prebooked my next trip and Carjet were able to arrange the car hire through "Solmar" this time for the same price.
Page 18
    • CM66
    • By CM66 12th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 2,652 Thanks
    CM66
    If you paid by credit card then you should be able to take it up with the card company and get a charge back.

Most importantly - read what you are signing before you sign it, and if there are charges that shouldn't be there get them removed!!

I hire about 10 cars a year for my job and avoid Goldcar / Firefly etc like the plague. I'm sure that i have saved more in time and money by paying slightly more and using a reputable company.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 12th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    nickcc
    As I'm sure you can see CM66 most posters complaining about the dirty tricks Goldcar use are first time posters. I'm sure you and other experienced car rental travellers are used to these dirty tricks, unfortunately many others are not. Like most experienced MSE members I learnt my lesson the hard way, perhaps a little compassion along with suitable advice would assist the poster far more than making them look like fools.
    • CM66
    • By CM66 13th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 2,652 Thanks
    CM66
    As I'm sure you can see CM66 most posters complaining about the dirty tricks Goldcar use are first time posters. I'm sure you and other experienced car rental travellers are used to these dirty tricks, unfortunately many others are not. Like most experienced MSE members I learnt my lesson the hard way, perhaps a little compassion along with suitable advice would assist the poster far more than making them look like fools.
    Originally posted by nickcc

I'm pretty sure me saying to check what you sign is suitable advice, along with them trying to get a charge back through their CC company.

I do have some sympathy, but i also think they have to take some responsibility. They have chosen to hire with the cheapest companies out there and expect the same service as those charging much more. They are cheap for a reason, and yes unfortunately most people have to learn the hard way.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 13th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    brianposter
    Most people have little option but to sign. However if you ask for a complaint form at the same time, you have evidence that you have signed simply to mitigate your loss.
    The complaint form does not have to be filled in on the spot.
    • Bengt
    • By Bengt 16th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Bengt
    Some more positive experiences of Goldcar.

I travel to Barcelona from Sweden about five times per year. For many years I have used Hertz without any major problems (and no unexpected charges). The last year Goldcar has been far cheaper (for an estate or semi MPV like Citroen Berlingo). In July 2016 I had a car for four weeks at €250.

So far during three rentals I have nothing to complain about. No unexpected extra charges. I do not take full insurance as I have full insurance on a credit card that I only use for car rental.

Every time the damage report has been blank at arrival and I have been asked to fill it in myself. Strange but I have done it with care.
    This July I paid around €700 for four weeks. A comparable car at other rentals were around €1200. Seemed to be a shortage of rental cars in Barcelona this summer.
    I did make a mistake and scratched the rear bumper. This was noticed when I returned the car and on My Goldcar I could later see an invoice for €250 for damage and €50 for non-availability of the car for rental.
    Nothing to argue about really. But what surprised me was that three days later the invoices were credited Really strange but I did not mind.

So next week I have another rental with Goldcar in Barcelona. 1 week for €45. Not bad at all...
    Last edited by Bengt; 16-09-2017 at 9:53 AM. Reason: Added a starting sentence and blank lines added for readability
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,897Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin