Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dseers335
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain
    • 22nd Sep 10, 6:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain 22nd Sep 10 at 6:02 PM
    I booked a trip to Alicante airport for myself and my girlfriend. We wanted to hire a rental car and ended up booking with a hire company called Goldcar.

They seemed quite cheap and already have "all-inclusive" insurance included so it sounded good.

I will make sure I never go near this company again.

Firstly, when we arrived we had to queue for just over an hour before getting to the front of the desk. Being peak-season we weren't too suprised and, although inconvenient, we could bare this.

When we reached the desk the rep was very abrupt and bordered of rudeness. This didn't really bother me (at the end of the day this guy was working and had a lot of holiday-makers to get through).

When we had finished with the details the rep asked if I wanted "full CDW insurance" or just "basic" cover for tyres and glass. Now, as I have hired cars several times in the past I am fully aware of exclusions (tyres/glass/keys etc) and so replied that I did not require any extra insurance and my credit card covers for the tyre/glass etc charge - but did query the "full CDW insurance" he was offering. The man looked at me and said "if you are involved in a crash then we will need to charge you for all repairs". I told him that this was already included in the cost I had paid for the hire and highlighted the wording on my voucher which backed up my understanding. "it is not correct. if you have a crash you only have 3rd party and we will take a 5000.00EUR excess-deposit until the repairs are worked out" - using these words exactly. The rep was basically telling me I had zero cover whereas the paperwork I had and the website tells me I was all-inclusive.

After several more minutes of this I agreed to take the extra cover so I could enjoy the rest of my holiday stress-free and had to pay up a further 60.00EUR.

The rep just handed me an electronic paid to sign which had no indication of what I was paying for or agreeing to exactly. A few days later I inspected the contract to see that the total price and been converted to GBP with a 2% mark-up, the cost of fuel was priced at 82.00EUR and I was charged for some kind of diesel-upgrade on top without my consent (I had booked a petrol!).
    The vehicle itself had some problems but it is rare to be given a perfect rental car, especially in Spain, so this was OK.

When I got home I sent an email to my broker ("Carjet") who confirmed my understanding of the insurance (all-inclusive except for the tyres/glass etc). They could not really disagree as I was going by the wording on their's/Goldcar's website.

Carjet then contacted Goldcar with my complaint to get to the bottom of it. After a few weeks, Goldcar replied to say that their rates were all-inclusive except for a few minor items and they did not take any deposit in case of a crash. Goldcar said that I must have misunderstood due to the language barrier and the cover I had taken was only cover for punctures/loss of keys etc and their rates included in more just 3rd party.

After a few more emails back and forth Goldcar closed the case stating "we can't refund when the client has signed the contract".
    This email probably makes me sound like newbie who doesn't read the small print but I really am not (it gives me something to do during the flight!). My partner also backs up entirely what I have said and encouraged my to write this.

That's my review. Stay away from Goldcar if it can be helped. The salesmen at the desk will lie to you outright in order to make an extra few Euros commission.

I have prebooked my next trip and Carjet were able to arrange the car hire through "Solmar" this time for the same price.
Page 17
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 18th Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I’ve been hiring cars in Alicante for the last year, maybe 7/8 times so far. Some thoughts on the process in general and Goldcar in particular.
    What we all have to understand, despite all the advertised internet prices, no company can afford to rent you a car for €5 / 6 a day. It would be financial suicide and is an unsustainable business model. The reality is that it they need to charge around €150 a week or so, which is more like the true cost. The problem is that none of the hire car companies want to be the first to admit this and thus appear very expensive on an internet search and attract no bookings. Accordingly, the model that everyone uses is this: Advertise the car at a ridiculous cheap price and then make this up to a realistic price by adding extras. The extras are generally a payment to buy insurance to cover the “excess” on the insurance policy and charging more money for fuel / Sat Navs / child seats etc. The car hire companies thus need to pressure you into buying extra insurance or they are losing money on the deal. You can get around this by buying a UK policy to protect this excess for around £35 a year. In order to deter you from doing this, they will all ask for a deposit to be held on your credit card of around €1500. Of course, not everyone can afford this and thus have to buy the excess. In reality though, if this applies to you, console yourself with the thought that all you are doing is paying the true rate of hiring a car for a week. One tip though, don’t book the insurance when you book the car, pay for it when you collect the car or you will end up paying twice. Make sure you take your own sat nav and baby seat if you can too. In addition, make sure you book the “full to full” fuel policy and fill it up just before you bring the car back, to avoid paying €100 or so for a tank of fuel.
    So back to Goldcar. Their latest scam, if you didn’t take their insurance, is to falsely claim you have damaged the car and levy a €200 charge against you. They have done this twice to me now and needless to say I don’t use them anymore. In addition, strange other charges were put on my credit card by Goldcar “central”. The credit card companies are very good at dealing with them when you lodge a dispute, they have a bad reputation there too, it just takes a long time. So whoever you hire with, be aware of the extra charges coming your way, take lots of photos when picking up and dropping off the car, pick a “full to full” fuel policy. Oh and avoid Goldcar!
    Originally posted by RtG
    Not all hire car companies behave in that manner. Mostly the ones that have ridiculously low headline prices
    • jassboyuk
    • By jassboyuk 20th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jassboyuk
    Avoid this company
    We were first of all forced to wait with about 30 other people for Goldcar Malaga, who Holidays Autos sub-contracted our car hire with. Almost all of the people waiting, ended up sitting or lying on the floor - something I've never had to do before. When we reached the desk, there was no apology for the wait, instead, I actually thought the agent was so arrogant and rude to start with. We were then forced to pay a deposit insurance on credit card direct to Goldcar. Even though we were told by Holiday Autos that this was covered in what we'd paid them in the UK. We were also forced to pay a 40 euro "after hours" collection despite it saying in our contract that we would need to pay 0.00 euros after hours. We pointed this out to the agent, who totally ignored us and demanded the payment. The Dutch member of staff at the Goldcar desk, who was assisting us, was the worst mannered person I've come across yet in customer service - "if you keep disputing this I will cancel the car" - "you are in the Kingdom of Spain, not in England now" - what a disgusting way to treat anyone, let alone a paying customer. The form they gave me to sign for the car only had a couple of marks to show previous damage on the car - when we got to the car, we saw that there was at least another 20 marks which they had failed to include, so went back to the desk with the marks pointed out along with photos we had taken. On bringing the car back to the drop off point, I asked four different members of Goldcar staff to come and check the car but all refused and said they did not check cars coming in after 10pm (despite their staff walking around taking photos of other incoming cars) and now I see that they are still holding £1200+ on my credit card which they said would be released when the car was returned - appalling way to run a business. All recommended by Holiday Autos too.......really do not use Goldcar, nor Holidays Auto. I've hired cars all over the world and this last hire was nothing like any of the others I've had over the last 25years.
    Last edited by jassboyuk; 20-04-2017 at 4:43 PM.
    • TONY WOOD
    • By TONY WOOD 8th May 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TONY WOOD
    Tony wood
    Do not use this dishonest company, they are thieves and robbers so hire from them at your peril.
    • abacab
    • By abacab 12th May 17, 8:42 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    abacab
    Watched this firm in action myself at Lanzerote airport on Wednesday.They told a family a new scratch had appeared,and they had to go to the desk to sort out ,even though the family were adamant no damage had occured.Dropped my Autoreisen car off with nothing more than a verbal assurance that it was returned with the same fuel level.
    Yet Goldcar continue to be popular?
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 12th May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    nickcc
    Only popular because the initial cost is extremely attractive, add on all their underhand practices and soon more expensive than the likes of Avis etc.
    • Gill_Buchanan
    • By Gill_Buchanan 15th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gill_Buchanan
    I had a really bad experience with Goldcar in Spain too - Madrid Airport. It was the most stressful car hire I have ever done. They charged £45 for the car hire and an additional £120 when I got to Spain! It was outrageous. It also took over an hour to get the car. It was parked in another car park and they made us go and get it with all our luggage.
    On the way back the entrance to the car hire section was blocked so we left the car in the car park as they had done. They told us that we had to return it to them. In the end we just had to leave it or we would have missed our flight. Please everyone reading this DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE.
    • daturaman
    • By daturaman 21st Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daturaman
    Another scam, another victim
    I hired from Goldcar Chania for the first and last earlier this month, whilst enjoying an otherwise excellent holiday in Crete.

I always buy third party excess insurance before hiring a car abroad, knowing just how exorbitant hire firms' own insurance usually is. When I went to pick up the car from the Goldcar Chania office - which was booked via Travel Republic/Car Trawler - at no time was I offered the option to buy additional insurance. It was simply added to my bill, which was all in Greek, by they way. When I queried what the additional charge of 148 euros was for, I was told that it was the holding deposit for fuel. This was a flat out lie, plain and simple. It was in fact a charge for "super relax" insurance and Goldcar had no intention of refunding me that amount.

I returned the car at the end of my holiday with no damage and a full tank. It all seemed too easy to hand back, in hindsight. It was only when I had been back in the UK for a week and noted that the only charge from Goldcar had not been refunded, that I checked my rental agreement again and saw that the charge on my credit card corresponded to the cost of this "super relax" cover. They'd also added "mega relax" cover too - I mean, if you're going to fleece your customers, might as well go the whole hog, eh?

Needless to say, I did call Goldcar Chania and spoke to the very "lady" who had served me. All I got was some glib BS about how she always offered people the option of "super relax", and that I must have requested it - I didn't, thank you very much. I'm not stupid. She said that it wasn't possible to refund the £135.33 and gave me some bizarre email to contact her manager. I'm not going to have much faith in that line of enquiry either.

I haven't given up on this, in spite of my credit card company refusing to claim back the money. What I do know is that, if I am ever at an airport and see people queuing at a Goldcar desk, I will stop and let them all know just what pirates that company is. I will do everything I can to persuade them to take their custom elsewhere, and I suggest everyone else who has been duped by these cowboys does likewise.
    • JEZZ
    • By JEZZ 6th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JEZZ
    Gold Car Rentals.........Spain
    This is our third trip and car hire to Spain this year. We are members of Gold Car Club as we are frequent users.
    When we arrived at the airport this week to pick up our pre booked and prepaid car, we were told that on our last visit of four days, we had left the car in a "dirty" condition and had to pay a clean of €150.... yes €150 before they would give us a car! We contested this immediately as we had barely used the car and it was left in immaculate condition. There had been no rain, neither had we been to the beach. We asked for evidence and were briefly shown a photograph of what looked like a water damaged seat. We were not allowed to analyse the picture to see details as we were hurried out of the room. We, vehemently insisted that we had not left the car like that.
    On asking why they had not contacted us to tell us, they said they have so many car hire issues to deal with, that they have no time. So we were left in a situation where we would not have our prepaid car unless we had given them €150 to clean the previous car.
    It was extremely distressing, embarrassing, unjustified and totally immoral.
    Let this be a warning to others to take photos of their car hire when picking up and returning. We had no evidence to defend ourselves and they were not interested in our side of the story.
    Needless to say, we will NOT be using GOLD CAR again.
    • landsberger64
    • By landsberger64 8th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    landsberger64
    Goldcar made the Guardian
    Goldcar made the Guardian "Hall of Fame" this week with another disgruntled punter being told staff were "too busy" to inspect his car, and then whacking him with "damage" costs.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/09/car-hire-goldcar-take-photo-damage

We hired a small car for nine days from Goldcar at Malaga airport in April last year for €41.69. We paid a deposit of €1,205 by credit card. The car was great and we had no problems. When we returned it, the returns officer told us it would be “at least a 40-minute wait” before anyone could look at it, so recommended we leave the keys. With a plane to catch we took his advice. I took photos of the exterior in case of a query. A week after returning I received an invoice for €180 to cover the cost of a supposed scratch to the back door, with a photo attached. But I’d taken a shot from almost the same angle, and there was no scratch. We disputed the damage and sent our photo evidence (complete with time and date stamp). I then discovered Goldcar had charged us €300. Its only response was, “I can confirm the charge has been applied correctly”. When I pursued the issue the response was “someone will get back to you”. It never did. I requested a chargeback via my credit card company, and the eight-week period in which Goldcar could challenge our chargeback has passed. We aren’t surprised it took no action.
    Last edited by landsberger64; 10-07-2017 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Added link and text
    • mclarbj
    • By mclarbj 12th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mclarbj
    Gold Car Rome - Utter crooks
    Utter crooks, shamsters and highly untrustworthy. On a recent trip to Rome Gold Car tried to con us into taking out their insurance as our credit card was really a charge card (it was a MasterCard credit card) so they couldn't reserve the excess. Told us we would lose all we had paid and not get a car if we refused and they shouldn't really do this but were doing us a favour. We refused, got an immediate refund from Expedia and booked with Sixt. Subsequently heard many similar stories re this shameful outfit
    • HannahHewetson
    • By HannahHewetson 16th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HannahHewetson
    Avoid at all costs
    This is a scam company. I am in an ongoing dispute with them about charges for damage which they applied in Turin. They are charing me their standard care of 480 euros for a 3mm scratch to the windscreen. According to their own T's and C's they should get an independent assessment of the damage to the car and then adjust the charge accordingly. They are not doing this and are insisting that the windscreen has to be replaced. Carglass Italia which I have researched independently do not state this at all as the scratch is on the passenger side in the corner. They are total thieves and do not care about their customers one little bit. AVOID
    • kpyoung
    • By kpyoung 19th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kpyoung
    Do not use goldcar car rentals toulouse
    FRAUDULENT, DISHONEST car hire company. We recently returned a rental car in Toulouse, France in perfect condition and were totally blindsided a week later to find a ¢840 fee charged to our credit card - following protracted communications we were first told the car radio was stolen and then that it was damaged. We are still trying to get the documentation and evidence to support this in any way. I cannot believe this company is in business - please be warned not to do business with them. I will be spreading the word via every channel possible - DO NOT USE GOLDCAR CAR HIRE COMPANY.
    Edit
    • DickyDB
    • By DickyDB 19th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DickyDB
    Oh how I wish I'd read this post first! I rented through Rentalcars who then took money for rental and insurance. I turned up at the Goldcar desk in Mallorca and agreed to pay for fuel €112 on the proviso that I returned with a full tank and money would be reimbursed. Only when I got home did I realise they had taken another €102 for additional insurance, which I was neither offered or agreed to. I regularly travel to Spain and never accept the additional insurance. It seems that Gold Car encourage their staff to use unethical methods to commit theft. Keep away from this company.
    • Markpi
    • By Markpi 5th Aug 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markpi
    Goldcar - DO NOT USE
    Goldcar are cheap for a reason, they charge loads of extras, provide whatever vehicle they have, even if this is not what you ordered and make you wait for over an hour for the pleasure. There customer service is shocking and don't give a hoot for the customer. AVOID AT ALL COSTS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
    • BLUEWKD
    • By BLUEWKD 20th Aug 17, 11:24 PM
    • 6,751 Posts
    • 96,577 Thanks
    BLUEWKD
    Porto Airport Excellant
    After reading all the bad reviews I'd like to give a positive review of Goldcar.
    I've rented lots of cars direct with Goldcar and only once has there been a problem when my friend went on his own and was sold the excess insurance. Partly his fault as he should have been more insistant that he didn't need it. Otherwise they are excellant at Porto airport, friendly staff who even point out marks on the car if we don't spot them immediately. Picking up and returning the car is pretty quick and very efficient. Now they don't try and sell us the excess insurance. We book via the Goldcar website, always choosing pay when collect the car so that we can always cancel if an offer comes around, which it often does. Yes we have to pay a deposit of 1,000 euro but never had a problem with it being released (so far). The cars we have had have always been fairly new, no more than 6 months old. Maybe Porto airport is an exception, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them there.

Goldcar on facebook are very responsive, so anyone with problems it might be worth messaging them on there.
    Be thankful for what you have because it could all be taken away tomorrow.

• benjus
    • By benjus 21st Aug 17, 10:10 AM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    benjus
    only once has there been a problem when my friend went on his own and was sold the excess insurance. Partly his fault as he should have been more insistant that he didn't need it.
    Originally posted by BLUEWKD
    That doesn't sound very positive to me. You shouldn't need to insist that you don't want extra insurance, they should ask if you want it and take no for an answer. That's how honest companies operate.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 21st Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    nickcc
    Goldcar on facebook are very responsive, so anyone with problems it might be worth messaging them on there.

They may be responsive on Facebook but they should be more responsive at the point of hire and not try every trick in the book to rip off tired and frustrated customers. I've only used them once and after being stung will never use them again. Many other low initial cost hire companies try the same tricks but Goldcar certainly appear to be the worst.
    • Fallback Mode
    • By Fallback Mode 3rd Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fallback Mode
    Goldcar - Rip Off Merchants imo
    I have only just recently returned from a trip to the Marbella area and had organised car hire through Holiday Autos at Malaga. Enter Goldcar as the company to supply my car. I arrived at the desk to pick up the keys with all necessary documentation in place and on time and had already arranged my own insurance. Hardly a word of conversation ensued with the desk staff other than mention was made of GPS and Wi-Fi to which each were declined. No mention of any other products. I was then asked to sign an electronic reader which I did thinking it was for the car. The keys were then handed over in a closed wallet. The vehicle was completely covered in dents and scratches and I don't think there was one side of the car that was without any damage. The worst I have ever had the displeasure of driving. I then later found out that I had roughly £280 worth of additional products added to my collection contract including insurance which I didn't agree to or need: deductions also for a full tank of petrol and another undecipherable one or two extras. I raised this with Customer Services at the time of noticing it all but only to have been completely fobbed off, This company has conned and scammed me out of nearly £280. Do yourselves a favour and if you wish to enjoy your holiday do not have any dealings with this company. This full episode cast a shadow over my holiday from start to finish and in my opinion this outfit is a complete bunch of crooks. Sadly it reflects really poorly on Spain itself and makes it less likely that I shall ever return. Once bitten ...
    Last edited by Fallback Mode; 03-09-2017 at 7:20 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 3rd Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    nickcc
    It is so sad when we see so many first time posters complaining about Goldcar. If only there were some way to publicise to so many unsuspecting first time renters what a totally unscrupulous company this is. I suppose it would be to much to hope that Martin Lewis on his many TVs appearances, could warn prospective renters.
    • petermenzer
    • By petermenzer 12th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petermenzer
    GoldCar Murcia DoYouSpain Theft
    Murcia
    Almost 4 months of going round in circles with Goldcar being dishonest and DoYouSpain taking no responsibility for the companies they recommend.
    GoldCar stealing money from my credit card by saying just a block would be put on an amount but the money debited immediately from my card.
    Difference between cash they stole and what was put back into account £76.86

Oh boy two companies so dishonest, unbelievable.
    money stolen 09/05 1068.20
    stolen money refunded 15/05 991.34

money refunded 07/07 18.32
    for an upgrade not requested when car did not conform to that ordered

my money that Goldcar still hold 58.54
    they say there is a charge for refuelling. Car picked up full and returned full (signed as such by Goldcar)
    How do you refuel a full car?????

Even with their fuel charge this still leaves a shortfall of around £40 that has been stolen.

These are obviously ways of Goldcar obtaining extra money when you refuse their hard sell of insurance. I am sure that many people will not even realise they have been the subject of a theft (that is what it is) like this.

GoldCar are dishonest and DoYouSpain are either complicit in this fraud or simply taking no responsibility for their sub contractors behaviour or for the fact that their clients are being defrauded.

Having hired cars world wise i have never come across such underhand dishonest practices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

2,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin