Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Wiper blades - only need rubber not the entire un... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wiper blades - only need rubber not the entire unit
Closed Thread
Views: 30,516
# 1
Myosin
Old 29-09-2006, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Wiper blades - only need rubber not the entire unit

I bought some Bosch Super Plus wiper blades (the complete units which just snap on) about 2 years ago and they're up for replacement now but I'd like to just replace the rubber bits but at Halfords I'm only saving around 2 off the cost of getting the whole blade units :confused:

I've looked for internet places and ebay but not able to find the rubber blades alone

I know this is annoying but if anyone knows a place I can get from (internet, ebay, or a retailer) I'd be very grateful

Cheers,

Myosin
That, is an excellent question...
# 2
balsingh
Old 29-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I suggest getting the new FULL wipers. The replacemetn blades are never very efficient. I know it sounds odd but good wipers make a major difference based on how well they make contact with the windscreen. Thats why its always best to buy a complete wiper as the rubber will be tailored to the blade. For the sake of a few quid, they are much better.
If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below
The Following User Says Thank You to balsingh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Aberdonian At Heart
Old 30-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Aberdonian At Heart

i would second balsingh's post. As wipers are a safety item i always invest in good quality wiper blades .......i have tried blade refils in the past but always found them a false economy
Avoid fruit and nuts .You are what you eat

The Following User Says Thank You to Aberdonian At Heart For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Mookfish
Old 30-09-2006, 8:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

On my last car I tried out wiper blades from wilkinson, £1.25 each for the complete unit. They were as good as the champion ones I've used previously, although I can't say how long they last as I sold that car 6 months later, but they were still excelent at that point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mookfish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
CrazyChemist
Old 30-09-2006, 2:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd agree with above - your extra few pounds isn't going to be much consolation if you manage to hit something/someone during mid-winter when cheap blades tend to smear, not wipe.

However on my new Golf I've got these new Aerotwin blades which appear standard on the whole range, which are extremely slim and ever so silent - I don't even notice they're there sometimes. I'm not sure these are available for all car models though - if they are available for your car I strongly recommend them they're worth the extra cash. If not I'd stick to a brand you trust.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyChemist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
rdwarr
Old 30-09-2006, 7:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

On my last car the driver's side rubber was £10 but the complete blade was well over £80!
Otherwise use a bit of vinegar to clean/degrease the one you have and you may well prolong its life.
Can I help?
The Following User Says Thank You to rdwarr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
buglawton
Old 30-09-2006, 8:09 PM

Myonsin did not mention the make/model of car which is the crucial Moneysavng info. Exotic cars might leave little choice in the matter - maybe fit own rubber blades is the cheapest answer.

I also used to go to the effort of fitting rubber blades to old wipers to avoid Halfords 15 price for a pair of blades.

Then I discovered Tesco (major outlets) were selling Vectra / Micra blades at around 3/pair inc wiper frame so why bother?
Confucius he say: Can of worms never been known to open by itself
The Following User Says Thank You to buglawton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Myosin
Old 30-09-2006, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the replies - i can't see the thanks button so can't click it just yet

It's for an Almera and is 21inch spoiler driver side, 19 inch no spoiler passenger side :-) Tesco don't do my sizes - they have 20 and 22

Are there any other outlets you know of selling at tesco's prices?
# 9
CrazyChemist
Old 01-10-2006, 3:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Try a motor factors (Motorworld, etc.) or even your main dealership - you'd be surprised how cheap they can be!
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyChemist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Ted_Hutchinson
Old 01-10-2006, 3:38 PM

I picked up some new wiper blades from ALDI yesterday for around 1.45 pair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted_Hutchinson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
millie
Old 01-10-2006, 4:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson
I picked up some new wiper blades from ALDI yesterday for around 1.45 pair.

Yes we got some from Aldi yesterday for a Ford Fiesta ours we 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to millie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Myosin
Old 02-10-2006, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

no aldi for about 30 miles hope Lidl get them in I've got two near m'house

Hope they're good quality though
# 13
melancholly
Old 02-10-2006, 8:50 PM

i used replacement blades because otherwise i would have needed to get the whoel arm replaced by toyota (no-one else stocks the right bit - apparently!). the spare blades are a similar price - but you do get quite a few in there so it is actually quite cheap when they average out over a few replacements.
The Following User Says Thank You to melancholly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Myosin
Old 10-10-2006, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ordered some off ebay £8.99 + £2.95 postage for 21spoiler and 19 Bosch super plus now to pay...

Oh btw none in Lidl or anywhere else so got fed up and bought these which are still cheaper than halfords are selling them for
# 15
Jorgan
Old 10-10-2006, 1:22 PM

I find Halfords very expensive for wiper blades. They have relieved me of £26 in the past for a pair of blades, my local motor factor sells them for £12. Well worth shopping around.
# 16
Wig
Old 10-10-2006, 4:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I imagine the point is the OP was making, and if not it's going to be my point.

There is no need to replace the whole unit, rubbers are all that is needed. Don't tell me they won't be the same....If Bosch sold "Bosch" rubbers for a quarter of the price of the full unit the rubber would be exactly the same. the only difference is that you have threaded it onto your frame yourself instead of some machine in a factory.

The Halfords price for rubbers only is outrageous. The waste of energy and materials involved in selling complete units to everyone is outrageous.

Finding just rubbers is next to impossible because unless the shops/manufacturers price them outrageously (like Halfords do) they are not going to make money out of us hand over fist.

My usual solution to problems like this is to ask government to put an energy tax on the complete units, it would have to be a large tax like 5 pounds per blade to make it work to force the companies to offer just rubbers. I don't understand why some entrepreneur doesn't start selling wiper rubber in a 2 metre roll which you can cut to length.

I also say you don't need the fancy spoiler blades they work just aswell without.

I'd like to ask "mookfish" who "wilkinson" is?

It seems there are some available online but as usual the postage kills them. I found google wiper refils or wiper refills gave the best results. I'm still looking.

Last edited by Wig; 26-01-2007 at 11:57 PM.
# 17
Altarf
Old 10-10-2006, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig
I'd like to ask "mookfish" who "wilkinson" is?
Wilkinsons - http://www.wilko.co.uk/index.htm

I use their 1.25 wipers and they are fine. OK they may not last as long as Bosch, but at 2.50 a set who cares.
The Following User Says Thank You to Altarf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
melancholly
Old 12-10-2006, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholly
i used replacement blades because otherwise i would have needed to get the whoel arm replaced by toyota (no-one else stocks the right bit - apparently!). the spare blades are a similar price - but you do get quite a few in there so it is actually quite cheap when they average out over a few replacements.
cancel that comment completely - the rubber has fallen out somewhere on the road so now i don't have anything useable (and i even got OH to fit it so it isn't just me being pathetically bad at doing it myself ). going to have to go to a toyota garage and get it done properly . how annoying!
# 19
Bertville
Old 12-10-2006, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Problem with only changing the rubber is that the springs of the wiper loose strength over time giving a poor contact with the screen. Might as well invest in the full replacements.
# 20
peter999
Old 13-10-2006, 3:46 AM

The idea that replacing windscreen rubbers could lead to the end of the world is ludicrous !!
-I think you've all lost your marbles !!

The problem with the modern world is the throw away economy.
If you know how to repair things & have the right part, they can be repaired perfectly ok.

Many things are thrown away for the sake of an absolutlely tiny repair.

People have lost contact with the items they consume/use & don't know how to make do.
People in poorer countries don't have this problem

peter999
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread