Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Total Chunk
    Elephant Car Insurance - Automatic Renewal
    • 20th Sep 10, 10:35 AM
    Elephant Car Insurance - Automatic Renewal 20th Sep 10 at 10:35 AM
    Thought I'd toss a warning out to anyone who has car insurance with Elephant.

Last year OH took car insurance out with Elephant. When we got the policy through it said that the policy was for only 10 months instead of 12. #fail

I phoned them up and told them this was unacceptable and they agreed to extend the insurance to 12 months at no extra charge as at no point were we told that it was a 10 month policy.

Last week the insurance was up for renewal and we got a cheaper quote which we went with.

Imagine my horror when I saw that they had taken over 400 without warning or authorisation from OH's bank account yesterday!

They refused to refund the money until we could prove that we had valid insurance. In my mind, this is none of their business. Not having insurance is a police matter and not something they should be allowed to play a hand in trying to enforce.

We're getting the money back in the next 3-5 days but I think this is far too long as it should never have been taken in the first place. Even their representative admitted that this 'automatic renewal' wasn't clear enough in the T&Cs.

Has anyone ever confronted an insurance company for this disgraceful way of operating? Were you successful in getting a complaint upheld?

We will be complaining directly to Elephant and to our bank but if we don't get suitable apologies/acknowledgement for their actions then we are prepared to take it to the financial ombudsman. The money they took was basically this month's rent and we're lucky that we've been able to make other arrangements to cover this.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

3,962Users online

Martin's Twitter